Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I actually looked at that last night believe it or not. I like a savage but I don’t like the looks of that particular gun.  It seems like that style had magazine/feed issues?  Maybe it’s been fixed or was a different model....

Could be. I only owned 1. I had great luck wif it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But this is my friend in case things get shakey...

Also if you want to try the 22 hornet but don't want 1000 entry fee. Look at a savage 25 in 22 hornet. One of the nicer bolt guns you can get without sacrificing a paycheck to setup with gun and scope

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

Could be. I only owned 1. I had great luck wif it. 

A buddy had one in a .22 mag. It was older and temperamental. I’m sure the price is more in line on those....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

A buddy had one in a .22 mag. It was older and temperamental. I’m sure the price is more in line on those....

I'm confused. The 25 Is A Bolt gun. 25 Walking Savage. What problems come from a bolt gun lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what model Savage mine is but it has a detachable magazine,that has never given trouble. The magazine popping out is a feature I really like for a on the seat in truck gun.  ? Makes the Fish and Wildlife real happy if you have the magazine out when you stop and visit out on the public road.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

I'm confused. The 25 Is A Bolt gun. 25 Walking Savage. What problems come from a bolt gun lol

I could be wrong but I thought there was an older model 25 bolt gun that was fed by a detachable magazine. This gun’s mag only attached to the firearm at the rear of the magazine causing the front of the mag to drop sometimes which kept the bolt from cycling a new round into the chamber.  This gun I’m referring to was a hardware store grade .22magnum from the late 70’s-80’s probably. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

I'm confused. The 25 Is A Bolt gun. 25 Walking Savage. What problems come from a bolt gun lol

I did some looking. My fault. It was a model 65 not a model 25. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I did some looking. My fault. It was a model 65 not a model 25. 

Hey no biggie. That's why I hate alpha numeric names and crap. Just call it like the savage potato beetle or whatever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

Hey no biggie. That's why I hate alpha numeric names and crap. Just call it like the savage potato beetle or whatever. 

That 65 was a dung beetle. LOL

I know you can get the baby .22 “Cricket”

Beretta used to use numbers and cat names for some of their pistols like Jaguar and Tomcat.  
 

Seriously though, I am familiar with the Ruger 77’s like Mark’s above and know how they handle.  I would like to handle a CZ and see what they feel like.  I doubt I could ever bring myself to spend that kind of coin on a gun for this purpose.  Especially when I would need to put a scope on it also.  Don’t have many spare scopes in inventory at the moment. Just a little fixed 4x Leupold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

That 65 was a dung beetle. LOL

I know you can get the baby .22 “Cricket”

Beretta used to use numbers and cat names for some of their pistols like Jaguar and Tomcat.  

 

Sadly. How well I know. 3032 Tomcat. 2025 bobcat. All those critters

2020-05-24 17.54.52.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

Sadly. How well I know. 3032 Tomcat. 2025 bobcat. All those critters

I have a model 71 “Jaguar” in .22lr. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

I have a model 71 “Jaguar” in .22lr. 

Isn't it sad. The smaller the caliber the more aggressive the name became lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a CZ 527 in 22 hornet. Wonderful gun! Actually gets boring to shoot, every time you shoot it goes through the same hole?? I really like the set trigger on the CZ's. I've got three of them, 204 Ruger, 22 hornet, and the long barrel 22 trainer rifle. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think I have owned four 22 Hornet rifles over the years. First was a savage K340 I believe, that shot well but left a lot to be desired in other areas.  A H&R topper 20 ga-22 hornet came along and was just OK. Then I waited and saved my money up for the newly introduced Ruger 77/22 hornet. This was one of the first produced. Beautiful gun, but it just plain would not shoot and Ruger was absolutely of no help. Either you got one that shot or it didn't. I own a number of Ruger guns, but never again a Ruger bolt rifle. Finally dumped the Ruger at a loss and later bought a Remington 797 I believe, which is an  imported Zastavia that Remington sold for a few years. It is a beautiful rifle that shoots very well but Remington has abandoned the gun.   If you reload, the hornet is a cheap to shoot, accurate and a very quiet centerfire.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the extra couple hundred is in your budget I personally would lean towards the ruger, made right here in NH, by people who live right here, work right here and take pride in what they do.  , I’ve never been able to make myself buy a CZ even though they come well recommended. I do like savage but compared to a ruger I find them a bit coarse and unfinished, though they are tack drivers and are really good in their price point. 

I also really like the ruger magazine well done, smooth feeding and flush fit. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only small issue with the 22 Hornet is in reloading.

You use the special .223 bullet for the Hornet. Many of the bullet boxes will say "Hornet" on them or at least, .223.

Not the usual .224 diameter bullet used by the rest of the .22 caliber family.

It is a neat little closer range gun that gets the job done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of the .222! I have a Savage O/U 222/20ga that puts 3 in the same hole at 100 yards. Muskrats, beaver, coyotes don't stand a chance at 300 yards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And on the subject of my 22K Hornet, I probably WILL never fire it.

I don`t hunt anymore, maybe 30 yrs now, and even quit shooting hogs/coons/possums etc. 

I have a Gson in Wisconsin who loves to hunt/ice fish/wrestle.

I`m thinking it is probably going to be safely packaged up and shipped to him.

It would at LEAST provide some usefulness to someone instead of sitting in a safe it`s whole life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MTO said:

I have a Gson in Wisconsin who loves to hunt/ice fish/wrestle.

I`m thinking it is probably going to be safely packaged up and shipped to him.

It would at LEAST provide some usefulness to someone instead of sitting in a safe it`s whole life.

I’m sure he will cherish that. My favorite guns are the couple my Grandfather gave me. Not the nicest or anything fancy, just my favorites because they came from him.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MTO said:

And on the subject of my 22K Hornet, I probably WILL never fire it.

I don`t hunt anymore, maybe 30 yrs now, and even quit shooting hogs/coons/possums etc. 

I have a Gson in Wisconsin who loves to hunt/ice fish/wrestle.

I`m thinking it is probably going to be safely packaged up and shipped to him.

It would at LEAST provide some usefulness to someone instead of sitting in a safe it`s whole life.

How does it tie into the wrestling? I’m not a fan, but maybe I should watch... or is this hunt/ice fish/wrestle some kind of triathlon? Is he wrestling bears?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R Pope said:

No mention of the .222! I have a Savage O/U 222/20ga that puts 3 in the same hole at 100 yards. Muskrats, beaver, coyotes don't stand a chance at 300 yards.

In all seriousness why does one trouble themselves to shoot muskrat? They seem relatively innocuous and around here are not anywhere in overwhelming numbers. Just curious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

In all seriousness why does one trouble themselves to shoot muskrat? They seem relatively innocuous and around here are not anywhere in overwhelming numbers. Just curious. 

They destroy pond banks and dams. They can/will drain a pond. Around livestock ponds their holes become broken leg hazards.

I remember once raccoon hunting years ago. We were near a small river in the bottoms way back away from any roads. A muskrat swam up to me in a drainage ditch. It didn’t even know to be scared...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

How does it tie into the wrestling? I’m not a fan, but maybe I should watch... or is this hunt/ice fish/wrestle some kind of triathlon? Is he wrestling bears?

Kickstand, please focus.

My point is he is, unlike many young boys fused to a cellphone, very active at 10 yrs of age. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

In all seriousness why does one trouble themselves to shoot muskrat? They seem relatively innocuous and around here are not anywhere in overwhelming numbers. Just curious. 

You`re thinking of Muskie of the Deputy Dawg cartoons VTF...he wore a cute hat

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This one belonged to my Dad. Don't think I've ever fired it, yet. Going to rectify that in the not so distant future. Found some shells at the farm today.

Dad loaded all his ammo for this thing and I've always loaded all my own too. Have never loaded any hornets, but willing to try. I do remember people complaining about the thin necks wrinkling and having trouble getting the tension on the bullet right.

IMG_0475.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...