Looking at an older krause disk. I thought it was a 1900 he seemed to think it was a 1904. I really dont get Krause's model numbers. This is a 19' hydraulic fold with the offset gangs. My neighbor runs one and really likes it for a good heavy disc. The only thing I havent confirmed yet is that it appears to be possibly 9" spacing up front and 8" in the back by the pictures. I know krause did this on some. Anyone ever run one? Thoughts?  Just needing a decent hydraulic fold cheap disc and would like to stay 20' or less.  In my area they bring gold. Have to travel further north where those are for gardens and fence rows. 

I have 2 of the 1900 series, a 21 and a 25 footer. The bigger one has a Krause harrow on it. Bought it for $1250 since it needed blades. It came from Neligh Nebraska. The other one had newer blades and I got it for $2300,  Can't touch a 496 for that here.

They are very good heavy discs. If I try to go too deep with the bigger one it makes my 5488 spin out. The same for the smaller one on my 1066. 

1900 series was a older series if memory serves me right. Different design in folding compared to the later ones. Krause runs a good, heavy disc in my opinion.

We run a 4938a which is a newer one ( early 90s model) more normal fold pattern. Ours is a bigger one.( 26 ft) it makes our 7120 FWA work on our hills but it definitely moves some soil.

9 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

1900 series was a older series if memory serves me right. Different design in folding compared to the later ones. Krause runs a good, heavy disc in my opinion.

We run a 4938a which is a newer one ( early 90s model) more normal fold pattern. Ours is a bigger one.( 26 ft) it makes our 7120 FWA work on our hills but it definitely moves some soil.

Yah the 1900 still folds like the newer ones Imo. The earlier version is like a 19 and the gangs fold straight up and down. Looks like a fun piece to get up and down the road. I've got my 1486 to pull it but I like keeping undersized for 2 reasons. 1 my 1086 is backup and 2.) I dont have that much to do, so a couple feet isnt making or breaking me. I can disc everything I plant in an easy day. My manual fold disc now is 16' so a 19 or 20 is a upgrade. I also watch the kewanee 1020's as well. They arent as heavy but would do what I want. Neighbor has a decent one but it needs blades 😥

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Yah the 1900 still folds like the newer ones Imo. The earlier version is like a 19 and the gangs fold straight up and down. Looks like a fun piece to get up and down the road. I've got my 1486 to pull it but I like keeping undersized for 2 reasons. 1 my 1086 is backup and 2.) I dont have that much to do, so a couple feet isnt making or breaking me. I can disc everything I plant in an easy day. My manual fold disc now is 16' so a 19 or 20 is a upgrade. I also watch the kewanee 1020's as well. They arent as heavy but would do what I want. Neighbor has a decent one but it needs blades 😥

Ours folds over center like the modern ones, no straight up and down. So there is a difference 

7 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Ours folds over center like the modern ones, no straight up and down. So there is a difference 

No the 1900's do too. I was saying the older previous model is a 19 and does not. 

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

No the 1900's do too. I was saying the older previous model is a 19 and does not. 

Sorry, didn't understand how you said it. 

• Like 1

My two are 1904 and 1924 model numbers, 21' and 24' I guess. I always called it a 25. The rock flex discs have different model  numbers.  The early discs had bearings with flanges and the later ones had a 1 piece bearing like the IH discs but just have a round hole. Also I've seen a few of these 1900's with only 2 wheels on the main frame. Has to be hard on the wheel bearings. 

One thing to watch is the rockshaft tubing and linkages to the wing wheels. They get loose after a while and the wings go too deep. 

My manual has the model numbers and sizes of the disc, I'll try to scan a copy of that here. 

A friend bought a new Krause disk about 10 years ago, forget the model. Worked great but he couldn't keep bearings in it. He had factory people come out and they couldn't get it right. He traded it off. Thx-Ace 

4 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

My two are 1904 and 1924 model numbers, 21' and 24' I guess. I always called it a 25. The rock flex discs have different model  numbers.  The early discs had bearings with flanges and the later ones had a 1 piece bearing like the IH discs but just have a round hole. Also I've seen a few of these 1900's with only 2 wheels on the main frame. Has to be hard on the wheel bearings. 

One thing to watch is the rockshaft tubing and linkages to the wing wheels. They get loose after a while and the wings go too deep. 

My manual has the model numbers and sizes of the disc, I'll try to scan a copy of that here. 

I think this one only has 2. Picture isnt the best and I've requested more. That would be a big turnoff for me. That's alot of weight on 2 tires going down the road 

i have one - no complaints - 21 footer - mine is dual fold wing - 9" spacing front 7" back 

mine looks like this - cept mine doesnt have the extra wheels on teh front of the wings - mines a 6 wheeler 

image.thumb.png.1762403f7ce3a09f490f5e7d20d87f17.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, acem said:

A friend bought a new Krause disk about 10 years ago, forget the model. Worked great but he couldn't keep bearings in it. He had factory people come out and they couldn't get it right. He traded it off. Thx-Ace 

I don't know how much he greased it or not but this was what we were told when we bought ours.

Grease the bearings once a season. 3 pumps in each bearing. He said you didn't want more because it would overfill and take out the seals. Once the seals were gone it was only a matter of time before the bearing crapped the bed. Those bearings don't like over greasing at all. We followed his advice since we had it and haven't had a bearing failure yet. 

Depends on your ground, but funny how different  disks R. Years ago had a JD 235 that was 22’8”. I could pull that pretty well with my 1586 and it seemed to cut good but left ruts on the end so I sold it. Tried to use my neighbors 14ft wishik and could hardly put it in the ground.  Just bought a 21’ 490 hopefully I’ll have as good a luck with it as u guys do with your krauses 

6FBF03DE-F859-44EB-870B-F96C460CD4C4.jpeg

Here's the specs for these discs. Looks like mine are 1904 and 1907 models. 9 1/8" blade spacing. Models with 8" spacing use different model  numbers. 

image.thumb.png.251daa7ba064afc7a404dd8045935276.png

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

worst older disc made are made by krause and john deere

wings ride up in air when their suppose to be cutting 

the kewanees will do it too my buddy has a 1010 or 1020 - guys here talked me out of the IH for cutting standing CRP, the IH seems like more of a nicer disk for pre planting/tillage because they do such a nicer finish on good ground.  

My neighbors disk was probably built crooked or something. He bought it new and did everything they asked. The dealer and factory were down numerous times. Never could cover much ground without bearings going out. Thx-Ace

Didnt have that model but had a couple 13 footers----they were my favorite disks---did great job for their size.

52 minutes ago, farmer john 8910 said:

Had a 1904 for a long time. No problem going in the ground at all, very little bearing trouble just pulled pretty hard for a 20 ft disk and made ridges 

I hate ridges. 

32 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I hate ridges. 

ridges are awful if you are trying to plant, i will have to chek mine and see what the actual model is, will be up to the farm tomorrow night - get more pix - also a guy that i know that had a 19XX said his was horrible at ridges he did everything to fix it - blades, bearings, hinges, bolts, come to find out the problem was with the tube that runs across teh disk was worn in the collars around it and was causing it to ridge - he spent a lot figuring that out he said so if you find a used one, check the main tube for wear 

Well I bought one. According to the chart above i think its the 1901 18'. This width is good for me to work with multiple tractors plus for some of my smaller fields its gonna work good. I have numerous small fields so the manual fold wings were getting old. Lazy I know.  Hauled it home and started in on it. It's got a few broken blades up front where he had hit a stump or something (food plot)  but he gave me a set of pretty decent blades. The frame is all in good shape with minimal welds. I do have a question for the guys with Krause discs. The wing hinges are worn and will need some attention at some point. Is there supposed to be anything in here? I would think a wearable bushing or something should be. I'm thinking of just drilling a hole in a piece of like 1/2" and welding it to the ear of the wing to fill the gap and tighten it up a bit. 

20200715_134011.jpg

20200715_134052.jpg

20200716_201826.jpg

20200715_190658.jpg

27 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Well I bought one. According to the chart above i think its the 1901 18'. This width is good for me to work with multiple tractors plus for some of my smaller fields its gonna work good. I have numerous small fields so the manual fold wings were getting old. Lazy I know.  Hauled it home and started in on it. It's got a few broken blades up front where he had hit a stump or something (food plot)  but he gave me a set of pretty decent blades. The frame is all in good shape with minimal welds. I do have a question for the guys with Krause discs. The wing hinges are worn and will need some attention at some point. Is there supposed to be anything in here? I would think a wearable bushing or something should be. I'm thinking of just drilling a hole in a piece of like 1/2" and welding it to the ear of the wing to fill the gap and tighten it up a bit. 

20200715_134011.jpg

20200715_134052.jpg

20200716_201826.jpg

20200715_190658.jpg

Ill take some pictures of our hinges tonight for you.

Question for you mule or others.  I have a pretty good 10ft disc I pull with my 656.  I would like to find something bigger to pull with my 5250.  Covering anything more then a couple acres with the 10 footer is too time consuming for my schedule. 

What are you pulling the 18ft disc with?  What is a good match for a 5250 with fwa set to about 135hp?