5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Polka music is playing 24/7 in the down town area of Wilber . It’s not load but when you park in front of a down town store you here it . 

i have all of their old polka/czech piano rolls from wilber - our family ( my great gma/gpa ) had an old player piano that has been from missouri when they passed up to wilber then lincoln and now rests at my house until i die. Its from the early 1900s with an ACME player mechanism that I had to fix up and replace some leathers in. The bellows still work and I had to replace the vacuum motor in it a few yrs back. You can turn it on and it plays all by itself if you dont feel like pedaling it ?

All of the tubing/piping for the mechanism is made of ( you guessed it ) LEAD

23 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

good grief lorenzo no wonder u are ornery, you have eaten too much wilber rye, kolache's, wilber wieners and fairbury summer sausage - my aunt/uncle lived in wilber for YEARS - i grew up going there pheasant hunting on their property every year. Aunt Blanche ( CZECH ) ran an antique store for years, they owned the Wilber Hotel, a Bar, were in partners with the Wilber Wieners and sold them. Uncle Bat was owner of the Ford Dealership there from 50s to late 60s, early 70s. Lots of history there for me and the Searcy clan in/around Wilber. My cousin still owns the Wilber Bakery recipes for their rye bread and kolaches. The rye sticks, the butter rolls/like a croissant if you remember those. 

You probably now most my old family around there. Had a farm over at shickley also. 

Karpisek's owned the market before Frank had it IIRC. There will never be a better summer sausage than Fairbury but they would never sell the recipe. Some kind of family secret that will die with them from what I heard. Frank has tried to duplicate it but has never come close in my book. I miss all that stuff and the flavors. 

Did you ever talk to or run into Marv Synovec he and Shirley were GREAT folks. He was a terrific farmer. 

Used to go to the Hotel for Duck and dumplings . 

In high school we played football with  Shickley , they were tough. 

Dont think I know Marv though. 

Wilber is the Saline county seat and the court house is there.My Peterbilt and one of my pickups are licensed there so I go  occasionally. 

The security guard at the court house is a retired Sherrif my wife knows well, She took over his responsibility's on the crime stoppers  Organization , he still lives in Wilber. 

Other then that and Franks Smoke House there’s nothing else for me there these days. 

59 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Actualy spelled YaK say Mash ——-meaning how are you? 

A common reply from any Czech would be 

Dobzay ———-  Meaning  good 

I visit Wilbur often and pick up  Kolache’s at Franks smoke house . 

I always great them YaK say  Mash

No...i actually spelled it right. The real Czech way. 4th generation with Czech heritage.  Google it!  It's all  "dobre" (meaning good)

• Like 1

I love these guys that make their own instruments .  Big rich would sit on a salt board rubbing a broom stick with his feet while playing the  accordion  And another one of his band played a wash tub base . 

Check out out this gas can  guitar . 

Sounds like a dobro . 

https://youtu.be/gFGQulZxSjg

Lorenzo,

we love Wilber, I am a czech, ( bohunk ) from New Prague MN and we listen to our polka station up here 95.5 FM KCHK.

When we got married in 1997 we were on our way to Vegas for our honeymoon and got off the interstate and found Wilbur by accident and it was the week before czech fest and the hotel was closed but we stopped at a local bar and when we told them we were on our honeymoon they called over to the hotel and they let us stay there. we were the only ones in the hotel. In the morning a bunch of nice ladies made us an unbelievable breakfast I will never forget. The bar even sent over a 6 pack to go for us.

We went back for czech fest for the next 4 years with about 10 friends, We stayed in Beatrice and chartered a stretch limo to take us back and forth. Man those were fun times!

One thing I remember ( well sort of ) from Beatrice was drinking a local brew out of a mason jar, it was called courtland wheat. Boy did we have our fill.

Plan to start going again now that the kids are almost out of the house.

Hope to see you there someday

• Like 2

Dad grew up with the polka music and used to have his own band where they played at all the country dances around here.  He still plays the organ daily so I’ve grown up with all the songs lol. I’m not a great fan of them and have gotten sick of some of them actually as I’ve heard them so many times. I used to play some when I was younger and played the tenor sax.  Dad plays by ear don’t think he could read a sheet of music if his life depended on it lol. He found the molly b Chanel about 2 months ago on YouTube so I’ve heard a lot of that lately too lol. Personally I’m not a big fan of her singing but they know the songs quite well and play them pretty decent. 

Hes always wanted to go back to where his dad came from. They moved up here back in the early 1900’s. They came from theif river falls. Used to have some contacts down there but I don’t know if they’re living any more or not. I imagine if you look up the Pederson name there’s quite a few in that area lol

• Like 1
On 7/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, MTO said:

Every Sunday morning I listen to a small local country station.

Polka Party hosted by Big Moose.

Uplifting music and no, i ain't Polish.

Question tho, he keeps saying "two times"

What does that represent?

MTO im really surprised you can pick that station up. Its outta Dubois with the transmitter 1/2 way to Clearfield. 

Big Moose is a favorite around here too. That  Love you 2'xs was first said by his grandbaby to him. If i remember the story he told correctly. 

9 to noon Every Sunday Morning. 

• Thanks 1

My middle daughter was about 3 when she discovered Polka Joe on RFD TV she would have me dance with her. A few years later when the catholic church elected Pope Benedict , she was certain he was actually Polka Joe, We still laugh about Pope Polka Joe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Brookville said:

MTO im really surprised you can pick that station up. Its outta Dubois with the transmitter 1/2 way to Clearfield. 

Big Moose is a favorite around here too. That  Love you 2'xs was first said by his grandbaby to him. If i remember the story he told correctly. 

9 to noon Every Sunday Morning. 

It's all down hill. Before digital we used to get Channel Six. And I'm forty odd miles west of MTO.

12 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

My middle daughter was about 3 when she discovered Polka Joe on RFD TV she would have me dance with her. A few years later when the catholic church elected Pope Benedict , she was certain he was actually Polka Joe, We still laugh about Pope Polka Joe.

I will guess in the time you are referring to I was getting Dish, Big Joe's Polka party was a must watch show as well as Imus in the Morning, Penny Giles and Agday, how is that for diversity. 

• Like 1

Around here it ain't a polka if there's no fiddle lol

Saturday night we get 2 stations that play polka music starting at 7. The first one ends at 10 and the other one goes till 1am. So Saturday night is a good night to be on the field or working in the shop lol. I'm going to miss all the festivals and events this year. Its always fun to listen to live fiddle music and attempt to glide along the dancefloor ?

• Like 1

My wife and I have been polka dancing ever since we met but currently not so much.  Getting too old.  

I ran across this catchy little tune I've never heard before but now everyone seems to be playing it.  

It's got a Tex-Mex flavor.  It's done on youtube by   MrUnit7  The name of the tune is Del Rio Drive   but ask for Beer Barrel Polka by MrUnit7 and he will explain where he is in Western Nebraska.  Maybe some of you know him.  

Decided to add the links.  First up is Beer Barrel Polka with a short intro by him.  

Second is Del Rio Drive Polka.  

• Like 2

What did Lawrence welk name his daughters?

I dunno what did Lawrence welk name his daughters.

Anna one, Anna two!

• Haha 4