MTO

Wheel liner/tube protection

Used to be common to find them in wheels.

And this rusty wd45 power adjust wheel is hard to find used SO...

gonna weld hole and grind it clean, no sand blaster, and cut the inside diameter out of old tube and stretch onto inside of wheel to protect new tube.

No fluid.

Good idea?

These new tubes nowdays are junk anymore. We have a planter with 7.50 x 20's on the main transport and they put flaps in them like a truck tire. We've had a battle with them untill I fianlly had them foam tilled. Seems like the tube would always get cut by the edge of the flap or the corner of the bead would eat a small hole in them. They weren't 2 peice rims either and was a PITA to repair.

• Like 2

I don't know why your flap idea won't work?

I have cleaned the rims up and painted them.

You could also use bed liner.

How about some of the Super Flex Seal Paste that annoying guy guarantees to do everything the first time.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MTO said:

Used to be common to find them in wheels.

And this rusty wd45 power adjust wheel is hard to find used SO...

gonna weld hole and grind it clean, no sand blaster, and cut the inside diameter out of old tube and stretch onto inside of wheel to protect new tube.

No fluid.

Good idea?

I had someone suggest using that sticky water proofing tape for use on windows and doors when installing them in a house.

Another suggestion was to use flex seal to coat the inside of the rim.

I’m not suggesting these, it’s just what’s been suggested to me, take it for what it’s worth.

My thought with the old tube idea, you would need an undersized tube as the old tube wouldn’t fit tightly to the rim and I would think it could bunch up making a problem instead of being a solution 

Now, if you were on the right side of the mounts, a splash of duct tape over the area and you would be set.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Now, if you were on the right side of the mounts, a splash of duct tape over the area and you would be set.  

DUH!

That's what I took off!

20200622_112255.jpg

• Haha 2

I have seen rims that were painted inside with epoxy paint..after sandblasting and a lot of sanding/grinding. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

What size is that rim? 28”? 30”?

4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

I had someone suggest using that sticky water proofing tape for use on windows and doors when installing them in a house.

Another suggestion was to use flex seal to coat the inside of the rim.

I’m not suggesting these, it’s just what’s been suggested to me, take it for what it’s worth.

My thought with the old tube idea, you would need an undersized tube as the old tube wouldn’t fit tightly to the rim and I would think it could bunch up making a problem instead of being a 

Good point. May see if I have an old 24

I've seen worse...

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I’ve changed a few tires for guys with duck tape wrapped around the rim

We have changed some on tractors we have that the previous owner had duct tape the rim. Now I know maybe Tyler owned it before us. I will agree the tubes in the last 20 some years are junk. Whenever we have a tubeless tire we run it tubeless as long as the rims are good enough

Should work fine, a real pain to install though 

I never have had a patch fail on a tube until recently. Small hole, patched and tire went flat a couple of weeks later. Sure enough, the patch didn't vulcanize/bond with the tube and the tube split under it. Tube rubber doesn't feel the same either. Chinese tube from TSC on a zero turn. Different kind of rubber, I guess. I've had tubes that came from other countries that seemed the same as old US tubes.

What about a paint on epoxy mark? Like they use on concrete floors? Would be seamless.

Would think something to seal and preserve it would be a good idea as it will keep rusting under the liner otherwise wont it? If i try to save one now i grind and sand as well as i can and paint it with POR 50? Or similar product. Might sti end up with a liner if you have rough spots but hopefully stop the deterioration of metal.

18 hours ago, Hawkron said:

I have seen rims that were painted inside with epoxy paint..after sandblasting and a lot of sanding/grinding. 

Yep totally missed this post.....lol still recovering from camping!

not to hi jack the thread

I got a couple of 18.4 x 38 to mount on rough rims

was thinking of using rubber roof membrane to pad the tube

stretch and lap glue with seam tape

after seeing MTO's rim ill weld up the hole  [was going to toss it].

Mike

Duck tape is commonly used to protect the tube from damaged tractor trims round here. Usually because they are rusty.

The rims on my 460 were getting pretty bad, had them blasted and put a thick paint on them.  Lovely 

I wire brushed mine and painted them with POR 15 before reinstalling.  I understand that Firestone NATURAL rubber tubes are the best.  The other ones have been having the stems rip out of them.

I hate to say it as I usually get very creative, never thought about duck tape, last tire I thought about the tube liner as you see in bike tires, but to get it right was the problem. So, as I have done on 4 now, grind/wire wheel and paint.  I put rust neutralizer on first. One rim had quite a bad rust hole around the valve stem. Cut the thin metal out and welded in a rounded piece of flat steel, relocated the valve stem hole. Life is good. I've seen old timer rims that had plenty of plates welded on them

My last tire I got impatient, tightened down the valve stem to the rim first, filled it full. Couldn't believe it, psssssss out around the valve stem nut. Figured my patch didn't hold. Bought a new tube. Broke it down and discovered it was the air in the tire cavity trying to get out. My mistake for others to learn from. 

Mark

4 hours ago, New Englander said:

I never have had a patch fail on a tube until recently. Small hole, patched and tire went flat a couple of weeks later. Sure enough, the patch didn't vulcanize/bond with the tube and the tube split under it. Tube rubber doesn't feel the same either. Chinese tube from TSC on a zero turn. Different kind of rubber, I guess. I've had tubes that came from other countries that seemed the same as old US tubes.

The tubes have changed. New ones don't take a patch worth a damn.