Sign in to follow this  
oleman

Pumpkins, how do they grow?

I planted a few pumpkin seeds. Appears they all came up.  Lots of vine and plant growth, large leaves . Many nice flowers. BUT no sign of germination  and no baby pumpkins. 

Any pumpkin farmers on RP?  Do the pumpkins  mature much slower than  other squashes?  

Be patience.

You need bees to pollinate. There are male and female flowers both in the plant. 

Well I saw a bee in the foliage, possibly it needs training!

• Haha 1

If you've planted a lot the blossoms are good eats deep fried. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

I've got to try that some time! Never met a deep fried food I don't like!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

I have heard that but I need a recipe . I'm guessing you have to bread them with something.

2 hours ago, oleman said:

I planted a few pumpkin seeds. Appears they all came up.  Lots of vine and plant growth, large leaves . Many nice flowers. BUT no sign of germination  and no baby pumpkins. 

Any pumpkin farmers on RP?  Do the pumpkins  mature much slower than  other squashes?  

Give em time, they will go quick once they start. 

1 hour ago, oleman said:

Could be gender neutral.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I have heard that but I need a recipe . I'm guessing you have to bread them with something.

Never done it yet but if I do I'm using 'Shore Lunch Beer Batter'. That is the best deep-frying batter ever! Fish, onions, cauliflower, mushrooms, you name it. Can't go wrong! And use your favorite Beer, made the mistake of 'using-up' one that was in the fridge. Ruined a whole batch, was flat tire or something.

Their  tiny masks prohibit good pollination 

• Haha 2

Just a few acres of pumpkins were our thing for many years until moving recently.  A few things:

Bees are needed are large acreages  The wild bees should pollinate a garden or truck patch just fine.

It is early to have a good fruit set at this point.  Be patient is good advice.  Some fruit always aborts too.

Many things affect pollination from extreme heat which prevents flowers from staying open very long in the AM to too much rain which keeps bees from flying.  Also tight plant spacing or plant stress to name a few.

Many varieties of pumpkins out there some are semi bush up to full vine that could vine out  12 to 20 ft.  

Hopefully in time they will come.  Without a spray program Powdery Mildew can wreck them quick later in the season in our area.

• Like 1

Just now, hobbyfarm said:

Just a few acres of pumpkins were our thing for many years until moving recently.  A few things:

Bees are needed are large acreages  The  bees should pollinate a garden or truck patch just fine.

It is early to have a good fruit set at this point.  Be patient is good advice.  Some fruit always aborts too.

Many things affect pollination from extreme heat which prevents flowers from staying open very long in the AM to too much rain which keeps bees from flying.  Also tight plant spacing or plant stress to name a few.

Many varieties of pumpkins out there some are semi bush up to full vine that could vine out  12 to 20 ft.  

Hopefully in time they will come.  Without a spray program Powdery Mildew can wreck them quick later in the season in our area.

30 minutes ago, MTO said:

Their  tiny masks prohibit good pollination 

You know, I hadn’t thought about how the mask wearing would effect the adult recreation profession... hmm wonder who oversees that. 

DEPENDS ON WHICH HOLE IS USED.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, oleman said:

Yeah. Give them the old "birds and the humans" talk.

We always hand pollinated our pumpkins.

Pumpkins, how do they grow?

For some reason, this popped into my head----

"Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells
And pretty maids all in a row…"

Sorry----

Mike

Nothing like having beginners luck. My wife has been playing 4 or 5 years never did anything special. Get a bit of almost compost out of the cattle feed pen plant seed and water. Planted in late May as we had a cold spell early May. Have some pumpkins about the size of a apple.