Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

❓Chain lube on Sickle Bar

I used and oil can or wasted grease on the start up of the mower on hold down s and sections . It will disappear instantly once it gets into the work. 
I wonder I thinK I got some motorcycle chain lube that’s very sticky grease ,I’d like to try it at start up to get into the Hard to reach areas of section . Probably a waste of time but I’ve always done it since I was a kid on farm .

I would readjust your hold downs. That’s a good way for excessive wear. 

• Thanks 1

I would think it would work better to grease or oil it at the end of the season before parking it

I always used waste oil to lube it up. Grease it, service everything, check the hold downs, change sickle sections( knives) or the entire sickle. I had a couple spares so when we were busy and broke a knife we would just slide the sickle out and slide in another. Then when the sickle is repaired oil it.

I would think that would attract dirt/sand and increase wear.

Dry with proper adjustment way to go IMHO.  

End of season pull sickles and store in shed. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I would readjust your hold downs. That’s a good way for excessive wear. 

Don’t know hat to shoot for , cut the rock guard section on a milling machine to be the same . The hold downs are new , I’ve set them .02 approx . The blade section moves with my fingers back and forth. Got the tilt set level now. I’ve never heard (or don’t hear the mower ,only a badly rattlesnake sound. Actually a pleasure to go straight. Can’t hear it. If wasn’t for the pto shaft clanking and bang in the turns it would be like driving a big old Buick .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I would think that would attract dirt/sand and increase wear.

Dry with proper adjustment way to go IMHO.  

End of season pull sickles and store in shed. 

Good point the oil ing at start up disappears ,if spray the sticky grease , it in there would collect sludge wouldn’t it. 

2 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Good point the oil ing at start up disappears ,if spray the sticky grease , it in there would collect sludge wouldn’t it. 

Yes sir. 

8 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Don’t know hat to shoot for , cut the rock guard section on a milling machine to be the same . The hold downs are new , I’ve set them .02 approx . The blade section moves with my fingers back and forth. Got the tilt set level now. I’ve never heard (or don’t hear the mower ,only a badly rattlesnake sound. Actually a pleasure to go straight. Can’t hear it. If wasn’t for the pto shaft clanking and bang in the turns it would be like driving a big old Buick .

Sounds a lot quieter than mine😁

Seriously looks like you have things adjusted well. Only time i like hearing a "rattlesnake sound"😄

After you run for a bit you can feel for heat in a guard, hold down, section area and make adjustment there if needed. 

• Like 1

I thought those were designed to run dry? As said dirt and grit will stick and cause wear i would think...

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I thought those were designed to run dry? As said dirt and grit will stick and cause wear i would think...

I was using high detergent oil 🤷‍♂️👀used  😂 

• Haha 1

Graphite, powder.  Another consideration is contamination of feed hay.

I cut 1000's of chains at the dealership. The worst, most shot, stretched chains had used motor oil on them. It starts out by having contaminants in it from whatever engine it got taken out of and it draws in and collects more yet.  I would run them with nothing vs used oil. Chain lube is the best to use. 

Crary spring loaded holdowns are the answer for keeping the knife down. Sold hundreds of them and use them myself. They have replaceable wear pads as well.