Sign in to follow this  
ihrondiesel

Vehicle service rant

23 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

AND mine didn't develop an oil drinking habit, either!

Yeah I wouldn’t be caught dead driving it either, amazing how little maintenance they need sitting in the driveway. 

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Yeah I wouldn’t be caught dead driving it either, amazing how little maintenance they need sitting in the driveway. 

Ha!  Glad you caught who that statement was referring to.

No, really I hate that yours started consuming oil.  We really liked ours, and drove the pee out of it, until it got too small.

I have been on a 93 K2500 Suburban now for 5 years. Only maintenance areas where is a problem is the front evaporator location/access   and the fuel filter in the tank.  I overhauled the engine because it had 215,000 on it. Bore and crank were still standard,  when I got into it.  Worst problem today is the drivers door does not want to close.  One day I will fix it?  Our Maico paint job is still shiny. The haunts don't like it and send hail to try to total it.

Chevy, Nissan, Dodge and Gillig are ok. Hail is our enemy.

3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Ha!  Glad you caught who that statement was referring to.

No, really I hate that yours started consuming oil.  We really liked ours, and drove the pee out of it, until it got too small.

Both of em ! Never again 

I gladly pay the dealer to service our two newer ones major repairs out of warranty I still do but I can’t buy oil and filters usually for what they charge to do the whole thing

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:13 AM, MTO said:

Takes me that long to get set up on lift.

Front/rear diff levels , air pressures, trans/transaxle, master, ps fluid,  washer, coolant, air filter, cabin filter etc.

Takes me a good hour to properly service one.

Then drop, fold lift, clean up, dispose oil/filter, paperwork,  new service sticker, tool cleanup.

Takes time.

Used to go to our towns quick lube, grease monkey, or whatever it was. Knew the manager well, he was a good guy. Any how I knew to keep an eye on the employees and always paid attention to their process and would chat with them as they worked. Always asked them when they were done if they saw anything that needed attention. One day Frank, the good guy manager, introduced me to a fellow who was there from the franchise. They were nearly done with my 08 K1500 and I told Frank and his visitor to watch this. The 3 of us were standing beside my truck and I told them there is only 1 leaf left on the rear side of the axle on the driver side and some are gone on the other side as well & some were missing last time I was here also. Employee came up to us telling me all was complete & I replied "Did you find anything that needs attention or that is unsafe ? "  I was assured all was well and employee went to next job. I handed my card to Frank to do pay, but franchise guy took it out of Franks hand and gave it back to me and thanked me for using them. Another time on our 02 E-150 service was all done, payment made, so they raised door and I drove out . As door went down I stopped just outside read the checklist, all checked ok. I jumped out & stuck my head under van and observed that the rear dif plug was still crusted over with mud/dirt. About then Frank comes out, I show him the checklist & tell him to take a look at the rear diff plug. Told him I was fine with it not being checked every time, but don't tell me it was checked when it was not. He went in and got me 2 cupons for my next 2 times.

Coupons don't help much towards replacing a rear diff.

On July 3, 2020 at 11:24 AM, TN Hillbilly said:

Yeah, Dad's 2012 Ecoboost was a real pain to service...but it did run great!

My 2020 F250 (belongs to work) has the 6.2 and is surprisingly easy to service.

Still not as easy as the old '97 7.3, though.  

But my all time winner for easy to service would be have to be our 2014 Subaru Crosstrek.  I could do an oil change in less than 10 minutes, without raising it up or even crawling under it.  I really liked the way the engine bay was put together in that car.  Everything easily accessible.  AND mine didn't develop an oil drinking habit, either!

Having owned many vehicles and running them into the China smelters I must agree hands down on Subaru easiest vehicle ever to do oil changes, lay down in front of bumper and oil and filter dump into pan without moving it, my boxer engine almost leaked like the Valdez though...