Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ihrondiesel

Vehicle service rant

Recommended Posts

I bought a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost a couple months ago after the 5.4 in the 2004 ate its pigs. Serviced it for the first time today. What a PITA!  Remove skid plates, OK. Drain plug is on the side of the pan where the oil stream can conveniently splash onto a traction bar leaving a nice oily mess on the floor (my catch pan is only so big)!  Had to look from the top side to find the filter. Easier to get at than the 5.4 was, but the only way for the oil to drain out of it is onto the front diff and wiring harness. Then I noticed the alternator is mounted underneath the engine. When did serviceability so completely get thrown out the window in vehicle design?  I’ll be driving my ‘99 F350 with 7.3 Powerstroke a whole lot longer than I planned on, it looks like. I can’t stand this new crap!  Call me a crabby old man, whatever, this sh!t drives me nuts!  
Rant over

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to a mechanic`s daily world Ron.

YEARS ago, I raised my service rates to where few customers will pay me to service their vehicles.

Service is ALL work/responsibility/liability and no profit. 

And I don`t do JUST an oil/filter change. If I don`t do all, they blame me when the diff goes out for low fluid and it`s MY fault.

I service ALL fluids and tire pressures. 

HATE service work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only repair my own crap,  that way I always know the tech that did the work. Think of all the $$ I have saved in the past 70 years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oleman said:

I only repair my own crap,  that way I always know the tech that did the work. Think of all the $$ I have saved in the past 70 years. 

That’s my practice as well, trying to save $$$.  Dang Dutch blood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

I bought a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost a couple months ago after the 5.4 in the 2004 ate its pigs. Serviced it for the first time today. What a PITA!  Remove skid plates, OK. Drain plug is on the side of the pan where the oil stream can conveniently splash onto a traction bar leaving a nice oily mess on the floor (my catch pan is only so big)!  Had to look from the top side to find the filter. Easier to get at than the 5.4 was, but the only way for the oil to drain out of it is onto the front diff and wiring harness. Then I noticed the alternator is mounted underneath the engine. When did serviceability so completely get thrown out the window in vehicle design?  I’ll be driving my ‘99 F350 with 7.3 Powerstroke a whole lot longer than I planned on, it looks like. I can’t stand this new crap!  Call me a crabby old man, whatever, this sh!t drives me nuts!  
Rant over

Now do you understand why MTO is always so cranky .....

 

Idiots who are clueless design a majority of the problems with service

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Dad's 2012 Ecoboost was a real pain to service...but it did run great!

 

My 2020 F250 (belongs to work) has the 6.2 and is surprisingly easy to service.

 

Still not as easy as the old '97 7.3, though.  

 

But my all time winner for easy to service would be have to be our 2014 Subaru Crosstrek.  I could do an oil change in less than 10 minutes, without raising it up or even crawling under it.  I really liked the way the engine bay was put together in that car.  Everything easily accessible.  AND mine didn't develop an oil drinking habit, either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

 Then I noticed the alternator is mounted underneath the engine. When did serviceability so completely get thrown out the window in vehicle design?

I agree with you about the serviceability of vehicles these days. The engineers apparently have enough trouble getting all of that crap under the hood. They don't even think about working on it. For example GM's 3.1L V6 in the early 90s, you had to remove the motor mounts and rock the engine forward for many repairs. Ford's diesels where it is easier to remove the doghouse and cab. ETC.  

Then again, How often do you have to replace an alternator these days anyway? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:  

Then again, How often do you have to replace an alternator these days anyway? 

Never, I hope. But I did go through a stretch on my Excursion where the alternator was being replaced every 10 months. Must have finally got a good one because  it’s been about 5 years now. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford musta hired some of Nissan’s moron engineers.  We have a 2006 Nissan Armada (full size SUV with 5.6 V-8). Remove 4 bolts to take a tin pan off to remove the oil filter.  Any work on exhaust manifolds (no wait that’s a CATAFOLD in Nissan speak) will require that the appropriate front wheel and fender liner be removed.  And then there is still a negative amount of room to work.  Do the spark plugs the same way. And then there is the cute little drip trough for the oil filter . . . I can’t decide . . . was somebody this stupid or was this sadism?

91B06650-8C32-4E6E-AB49-A165A1A59E0D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I bought a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost a couple months ago after the 5.4 in the 2004 ate its pigs. Serviced it for the first time today. What a PITA!  Remove skid plates, OK. Drain plug is on the side of the pan where the oil stream can conveniently splash onto a traction bar leaving a nice oily mess on the floor (my catch pan is only so big)!  Had to look from the top side to find the filter. Easier to get at than the 5.4 was, but the only way for the oil to drain out of it is onto the front diff and wiring harness. Then I noticed the alternator is mounted underneath the engine. When did serviceability so completely get thrown out the window in vehicle design?  I’ll be driving my ‘99 F350 with 7.3 Powerstroke a whole lot longer than I planned on, it looks like. I can’t stand this new crap!  Call me a crabby old man, whatever, this sh!t drives me nuts!  
Rant over

I’m not familiar with the jargon about a vehicle  “ate its pigs”. What does it mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

I’m not familiar with the jargon about a vehicle  “ate its pigs”. What does it mean?

It blew up or chucked its cookies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont think the 5.4 was a very good motor in 04/05 they had some issues to work through - seem to be a little better in 06 IIRC. 

the 05 we just had to tear down was a bummer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

regarding the repairs, it seems like about 1975 and newer things got bad........... everything stuffed in like sardines and hard to get to especially for popeye forearms 

a lot of tractors have seen the same things too in my opinion

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two with the eco boost I’m more than happy to pay the $20 labor the guy charges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 95 Dodge With Cummins 3500 and a 99 Ford F350 with the7.3. Like working on the Dodge a lot better then the Ford. My Dodge has a lot  more room to get to you need to then the Ford.  On the Dodge I can put a 5 gallon bucket under it to drain oil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with some of the service on these new vehicles makes me nuts! Still have my '97 F350 7.3 and my 97 K1500 with the 350 vortec. Easy and comparatively cheap to work on. My wife had a 2006 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 V6 for a while; chucked some pieces of timing chain guide through the valve cover and after 8 hours of pulling off every accessory and basically the whole front of the engine bay I gained the still frustrating access to and in the process learning those engines have 4 timing chains! Luckily it was the left head that lost a chain guide because the chain for the right head is on the back of the engine so you have to pull the engine to change a timing chain guide! Got it fixed and sold it; last modular engine Ford I will ever own.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I have two with the eco boost I’m more than happy to pay the $20 labor the guy charges. 

$20  👎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MTO said:

$20  👎

 

I supply the oil and filter. It takes him all of 15 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fumoto drain valve is a big help on 3.5L Ecoboost.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Fumoto drain valve is a big help on 3.5L Ecoboost.......

Great idea, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron, maybe this is incentive to get away from the blue oval! 😁Have to agree the 7.3 trucks were a good outfit. The 99 I had gave very little issues. The 2001 not so much, put a boatload of money into it and the electrical issues were the last straw. Sold it for less than I had into it, but at least it's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Ron, maybe this is incentive to get away from the blue oval! 😁Have to agree the 7.3 trucks were a good outfit. The 99 I had gave very little issues. The 2001 not so much, put a boatload of money into it and the electrical issues were the last straw. Sold it for less than I had into it, but at least it's gone.

Or maybe not let the wife go buy it! Although I don’t know that I would have asked if I could do a service job before I bought it.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cgage said:

Agree with some of the service on these new vehicles makes me nuts! Still have my '97 F350 7.3 and my 97 K1500 with the 350 vortec. Easy and comparatively cheap to work on. My wife had a 2006 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 V6 for a while; chucked some pieces of timing chain guide through the valve cover and after 8 hours of pulling off every accessory and basically the whole front of the engine bay I gained the still frustrating access to and in the process learning those engines have 4 timing chains! Luckily it was the left head that lost a chain guide because the chain for the right head is on the back of the engine so you have to pull the engine to change a timing chain guide! Got it fixed and sold it; last modular engine Ford I will ever own.

Ford Exploder . Sold daughters before it sh*t the bed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I supply the oil and filter. It takes him all of 15 minutes

Takes me that long to get set up on lift.

Front/rear diff levels , air pressures, trans/transaxle, master, ps fluid,  washer, coolant, air filter, cabin filter etc.

Takes me a good hour to properly service one.

Then drop, fold lift, clean up, dispose oil/filter, paperwork,  new service sticker, tool cleanup.

Takes time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the first oil change on my Kia, had never paid someone for a service in my life....

17 screws to drop the air dam.... cheapest I found an oil filter was $10..... 3.3L v6 holds 6.5 quarts....

Kia dealer charges $19.99, and they can't accuse me of not maintaining the thing if I need a warranty repair. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...