When I start the tractor it appears to run on about two cylinders until I squirt ether into the breather.  Then it runs fine, as long as I keep the ether going.  Except for right now (because I have injection problems),  the motor runs fine when switched to diesel.  What's out of adjustment?

Vic

Seeing as it is just the gas side, firing order, plugs, wires...?

12 hours ago, hardtail said:

Seeing as it is just the gas side, firing order, plugs, wires...?

2x 

I explained how I had checked the gas side but the post is missing.  I held each plug against the manifold & turned over the motor, watching it spark.  I've always understood that spraying ether into the breather upped the compression a bit to help in firing the gas.  Maybe the ether is helping a weak but visible spark fire the gas.  Does that sound logical?  Is there any way of testing the strength of the spark?

Vic

as said before  clean file points  

use an air gap tester

swap ALL parts into/out of running tractor

?...plugs solid core wires under load..?

6 hours ago, thebunns said:

I explained how I had checked the gas side but the post is missing.  I held each plug against the manifold & turned over the motor, watching it spark.  I've always understood that spraying ether into the breather upped the compression a bit to help in firing the gas.  Maybe the ether is helping a weak but visible spark fire the gas.  Does that sound logical?  Is there any way of testing the strength of the spark?

Vic

yes there is... u said you watched it spark. well was the spark blue and did you hear it snap.? if holding each wire to a ground it should be jumping 1/4 inch at least and hear a blue spark snap. spraying starting fluid around the intake is for finding a vacuum leak in the gaskets. have you checked the points for gap and cleaned them? 

3 hours ago, hector gemme said:

Is the boterfly are working fine in intake

Not exactly!  Every time I shut the motor down and put the lever in the gas position, I have to manually pull the intake valves back into the gas position.  Then it's good until the next time I cycle the lever.

9 hours ago, rustred said:

yes there is... u said you watched it spark. well was the spark blue and did you hear it snap.? if holding each wire to a ground it should be jumping 1/4 inch at least and hear a blue spark snap. spraying starting fluid around the intake is for finding a vacuum leak in the gaskets. have you checked the points for gap and cleaned them? 

I'll have another look at the spark---I doubt it's as strong as you describe.  As for ether, I've used it on many a small engine (large ones also) after it has been sitting and it sure makes a difference.

Vic

12 hours ago, mmi said:

as said before  clean file points  

use an air gap tester

swap ALL parts into/out of running tractor

?...plugs solid core wires under load..?

Good points to recheck.  I've never heard of a gap tester so will probably rely in my eyes in that regard.

Vic

There are testers you can use to check the strength of your spark. I have a snap on one I picked up used, I think I paid $30ish for it about 10 years ago.

The spark appears to be getting weaker.  I've pulled the magneto & will spin it in a vise with an electric screwdriver to see what the spark looks like.  I measured the coil wires---got .7 ohms on the primary & 14.07 Meg.ohms on the secondary.  I believe they seem reasonable.  I'll stay away from buying another tester as long as possible.

Vic

Posted (edited)

The spark appears to be getting weaker.  I've pulled the magneto & will spin it in a vise with an electric screwdriver to see what the spark looks like.  I measured the coil wires---got .7 ohms on the primary & 14.07 Meg.ohms on the secondary.  I believe they seem reasonable.  I

Vic

Edited by thebunns
Duplication

Can someone measure the resistance of a couple of TD-14 spark plug wires (preferably with a digital meter)?  My four read all over the place but have been working as I actually heard the motor run on all cylinders.  Now that the diesel side is working I cannot start it.  I bench tested the mag, spinning it with a screwdriver and got more than a quarter inch spark.  I can only assume I've got the timing screwed up but don't want to remove the hood & valve cover just yet.

Vic

timing should be from pulley and drive gear not in the top (except for verification_) vs pressure/ sight scope in #1  

time it correct and swap in some known good plugs and solid core wires(verify function again with swap)

make sure flipper is correct   ground not stuck/ shorted   gas good and or after some ether add propane

done all the above and it was dirty points 2 bad wire 2 bad plug under load

I was only referring to the "top" in verifying the position of the #1 piston.  I've said before that I cannot crank the motor inch by inch as the hydraulic pump is in front.  I've also dealt with the flipper.  The ground is not hooked up.  I ran the ground wire through a switch on the dash.  Actually, I pay no attention to it as the ground terminal to ground resistance measures .3 ohms and the wire back through the switch measures .4 ohms so what am I grounding?  I ran that tractor for years before I even knew about the ground & it didn't have a wire hooked up.   I can only let off on the starter when I feel pressure on the spark plug hole. By that time I don't know how far the rotor has turned.  I've installed new plugs and new wires are in the mail.

Vic