Sign in to follow this  
ky966boy

Tire question

Tractor has 20.8 34 on it thought some new tires would be nice but they are high would 18.4 x 34 fit on my rims 

Depends on how wide your rims are. I went down to 18.4 once and just bought some used rims. It was cheaper in the long run and made the tractor better for bailing and cutting. 

Is this an IH or CIH? Or other brand?  Tractor pullers put tires on wider rims all the time. The 20.8x34 is probably on 18x34 rims. An 18.4x34 should fit on that rim OK.

20.8x34 tire is kinda an oddball. I don't think I even had a part number for a 20.8x34 tire or 18x34 rim or wheel of any kind.

Tire prices seem to be driven by two things now days. Price of oil,  and how popular the tire size is.  Size effects price too, but for example, a15.5x38 is very popular, seen them under $500 recently, 14.9x38 is narrower, but a tiny bit bigger in diameter, and is about 40% higher priced.

It’s on 786 but rims where yellow I’ll have to measure .

biggest question is are you talking tube type or tubeless tire? It might be a little more difficult to beat up a tubeless one on a wider Rim but it often can be done

I personally won’t run tires on a non preferred rim size.  I also wouldn’t switch from a 20.8 to an 18.4 for ride quality reasons, but I don’t need the narrower track either. 

Be tube bias ply also would like to keep big ones cause they look mean but they twice as high

Well rim measures 18 inch wide so I guess I’m good . 

Likely it came with the 18.4s and the rims were never changed.

18" rim is for a 20.8 tire but I wouldn't hesitate to put 18.4 on instead

• Thanks 1