After seeing Lorenzos Tesla thread I figured I bring up my idea.

So we push up feed 10x a day with a C50 CIH tractor.   Clutch is getting soft since Latinos are bred to believe a clutch is a speed control not a de coupling device.  Its frankly bigger than it needs to be and has a side fold blade on it that sticks out a bit and on occasion they hook gates/walls etc with it and do damage all around.  Friend got a BX1880 Kubota hydro to push with.  ITS mini!  Like most are lawn mowers.  Says so far so good after 2 years.  Barely can push feed the 1st time after it's put down but then its fine.  Hydro (like 90% of scrapping tractors) elim clutch and its too light to wreak what it hits.  I have been thinking of making like a Boomer NH or 2800 HST (hydro) Kubota size into a elec drive.  QUIET and 0 maintenance.  Get a hydro one and all you need to do is flip a switch.  I could even manage the motor rpm so that cant go too fast.  C50 has 3-4 unhooked.   Put 'snow' blade type blade on front so tight against nose and not hanging out a mile.  They only go like 2000' from start to finish doing all 6 pens so battery life should not be a issue.  Then where it parks is a panel we could easy wire a plug and charge between pushes.  I have 0 idea how to do this.  See some E tractor companies but for $50k for a "40hp" rig that nuts.  Then the few tutorials are a bit back woods builds.  Not sure the couple I seen would be daily reliable.  What about pulling a Prius drive system and putting batteries on a 3pt rack?  Brother wont allow a auction prius with a blade.....says be too ugly! ;)  I can see making it clean and simple with out too much money IF used some used parts like a Toyota etc.  You'd have to keep the rad or add a cooler for the hydro.  But it takes like 7 min to push up, then near 2 hours till next run.....a 5 gallon tank to heat sync would be more than enough.

Any thoughts?  Be nice and quiet and have speed control/limiting.  The short hard run time is going to kill the little Perkins soon!  Latinos hit the key and drop petal at the same time!  An no one I know has got them to be gentler with machines.    

• Like 1

I think it could be a great idea, even more so if you could get a big time manufacture to let you “test” one for a few years.  The short period work multiple times a day would allow you to charge the batteries, and it should be less maintenance.  Seems like an ideal use for electric drive

or a hybrid. But that’s another story😁

• Like 2

On my California vacation I Went to the California farm show and seen a couple of companies working with some orchard farmers developing electric tractors and trucks. For some reason I don’t have any pictures of those tractors, but my girlfriend was talking to one of the women who was promoting these tractors and noticed her earrings had little tractors on them, so of course she commented about Liking them! So the woman said that she was making them and for My girlfriend to give her her address and she would mail her some. Couple of months later she got them in the mail!
I really think there is a place for electric tractors in the future, especially for what do you want to do Troy!

Here’s pictures of the earrings

EF8483B5-D571-4422-8EF3-B32286AA4D77.jpeg

2B2C9A3C-2FC2-4783-9BB5-C1CF64ABC5AA.jpeg

• Like 1

What about converting an electric fork lift over? Already have everything you need including a pump and finals. You just need to put some tires on that get a little traction and some cush. Latinos can bounce around a little heck it might slow em down a bit 

• Like 2

Speaking of an Electric tractor the Swiss tractor maker Sepp Knuesel and his Family have a model coming next year! Its called the Rigitrac SKE 50 each axle has its own Electric motor and also the front and rear PTO have there own and the hydraulic pump has its own to increase efficency, but to be honest I like there Diesel Rigitracs far better ;) 

• Like 1

AEBI has an electric vehicle for ag already on the market the EC 170 

it can go over 12 miles per hour lol

• Like 1

The battery powered fork trucks are a completely proven technology. The ones we had at FARMALL used BIG 48V batteries, about 2 ft x 3 ft x 4 ft wide. There were several battery charging stations around the plant with battery storage for charged battery, and batterys to be charged. We were working 10-12 hour days and the guy running the battery fork truck just charged the battery over his lunch break, maybe 30 minutes. He pulled trailer trains from one end of the plant to the other. I seriously think he moved more stuff most days than anybody else.  The hydraulics, steering, braking, and drives are all ready to go,  just put a 6-7 ft blade on the front at an angle and go to work. One battery would be plenty. If somebody forgot to hook the charger up it should do your blading 2-3 times without a recharge, maybe all day with no recharge, and just charge over night.  And they only go so fast,  about half as fast as the bigger gasoline powered fork trucks everyone else was using.  Hard rubber tires ride REALLY rough. And really need to run on concrete.  Make the blade quick on&off and you would have a very handy forklift for use in the shop.

• Like 2

I would suggest a full gear drive tractor and do all speed control and reversing with the electric motor. A hydro drive would require the drive motor to run at speed all the time. Figure out the best gear then take the shifter lever and clutch pedal off.

• Thanks 1

I have though some years ago already that using batteries to power chore equipment would be viable and worthwhile option.  I see no problem with a battery powered feed pusher.  Would be a lot cheaper to run long term.  I would like to electrify a skid steer to fill my feeder wagon.  No reason that batteries couldn’t do the job, it only runs about half an hour at a time anyway.  Keep a dino juice machine around for more extensive work.  Also I think it would work to run a TMR tractor as electric as well.  Use the batteries for transit and unloading, and since most times TMR mixers get filled in the same place everyday I would use shore power to run the pto while filling.   

I think there is a European company making a small battery powered wheel loader.  I think it is Weideman, but not 100% sure.

That's interesting. I've never seen that before. 

You could just get an electric fork truck and mount a silage pusher on it.

I vote for an electric cart. They are not new or 9th generation but Lazy Boy has made a 36 V cart for many years.  I would think an electric ZAMBONI ice groomer used on skating rinks is almost there as a scraper already. I worked on one years ago it was powered by 48 V single cell 2.1 V FLA batts that lasted for over 10 years in daily use at the rink. The motor was 48 VDC at 8 HP.  It drove a hydraulic pump, a ZAMBONI is basically a battery power skid-steer without a loader in operation.

At work we had an ancient Cushman electric Truckster that must be at least 50 years old and seems indestructible. Maybe they have something that may work.  Link:

https://cushman.txtsv.com/

It looked something like this before we made a cab for it.  Known as the “Moonmobile”

image.jpeg.e168a86088d18cd36d5f1c566a2c68b4.jpeg

Brian

The job son#2 is on has some diesel electric D7's. He says they will give a high track 8 a run for its money.

We have electric golf carts for feeding the calves . They are NOT maintenance free . Batteries need water, wire ends corrode and numerous other things go wrong with them. How much is a clutch? I would try putting a really stiff spring on the clutch pedal so they don't hold it down as much? 

21 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

My brother has this works good 

https://www.lely.com/us/solutions/feeding/juno/

Yeah they are  cool.  The DeLaval one is better but the dumb things cannot cross manure alleys (no lift), cannot go between all 3 barns outside etc etc.  Like i've said 100x.."for 50 buck I can get a drone to spy on my neighborhood, run a pre programmed track, and come home at the touch of a button....and we cannot make a  tractor unit push feed in a barn with a pre programmed course?"

11 hours ago, lorenzo said:

There’s already several to choose from and it’s old news they’ve been working on it for a few years now .

https://youtu.be/1TI6i31i0Jk

I know, but they are near 100k bucks.  A co in Cali makes a "45hp" one but its 50k as well.  Seems a lot for today's tech.  Esp when a diesel one is 20s for same work ability.

8 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I have though some years ago already that using batteries to power chore equipment would be viable and worthwhile option.  I see no problem with a battery powered feed pusher.  Would be a lot cheaper to run long term.  I would like to electrify a skid steer to fill my feeder wagon.  No reason that batteries couldn’t do the job, it only runs about half an hour at a time anyway.  Keep a dino juice machine around for more extensive work.  Also I think it would work to run a TMR tractor as electric as well.  Use the batteries for transit and unloading, and since most times TMR mixers get filled in the same place everyday I would use shore power to run the pto while filling.   

I think there is a European company making a small battery powered wheel loader.  I think it is Weideman, but not 100% sure.

Triolet makes a very slick system of a elec mixer and related.  It runs and then you load feed wagons to go to cows.  Only need a smaller hp tractor.  Handful locally.  Several large dairies inland now have Elec drive mixers doing same thing.  WAYYY cheaper.  

7 hours ago, oleman said:

I vote for an electric cart. They are not new or 9th generation but Lazy Boy has made a 36 V cart for many years.  I would think an electric ZAMBONI ice groomer used on skating rinks is almost there as a scraper already. I worked on one years ago it was powered by 48 V single cell 2.1 V FLA batts that lasted for over 10 years in daily use at the rink. The motor was 48 VDC at 8 HP.  It drove a hydraulic pump, a ZAMBONI is basically a battery power skid-steer without a loader in operation.

I KNOW!!!  During herd health the vet said "hey!" and the Zamboni came up.  Kinda pricey for a test though.  They have pneumatic tires and wt.  Slow and hydro controlled..... @dasnake you have one sitting around your yard up there?

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

We have electric golf carts for feeding the calves . They are NOT maintenance free . Batteries need water, wire ends corrode and numerous other things go wrong with them. How much is a clutch? I would try putting a really stiff spring on the clutch pedal so they don't hold it down as much? 

I was thinking that too.  A big forklift be better.  FIL had a elec cart too....the hydrogen sulfi in barns dont jive with electronics either.

A farm near me has one of those Lely things. I asked if it had an E stop button if it started humping your leg.

Hook the clutch pedal up to a car horn in the cab. Use should diminish greatly. 

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, E160BHM said:

At work we had an ancient Cushman electric Truckster that must be at least 50 years old and seems indestructible. Maybe they have something that may work.  Link:

https://cushman.txtsv.com/

It looked something like this before we made a cab for it.  Known as the “Moonmobile”

image.jpeg.e168a86088d18cd36d5f1c566a2c68b4.jpeg

Brian

my neighbor has an OLD cushman, tough lil rig for sure

if you want one ( cushman truckster )  i know where one is - yes its battery powered but will need batteries 

GE Electrak