nomorejohndeere

3 kids killed in tractor accident

Bad day for everyone involved... Pure stupidity going down the road with people in the bucket... Local guy here road in the skid steer with his son while they towed it down the road on a trailer. Driver list control of the truck and trailer and dumped it all in the ditch. Kid has some serious injuries, dad was banged up well too, but both made a full recovery. 

• Like 1

From the linked article:  

"Lamirande suggested that alcohol could have been a factor in the incident ..."

Well now, there is, of course, no sense in asking for trouble by involving alcohol.

Keith-

• Like 1

Here in Quebec there is a law against that sort of thing, even if you are riding inside the cab of a tractor without a seat and a seatbelt for the passenger both can be charged with a $1200 fine and 14 points off your drivers license!

It’s basically the same fine as if you were riding down the road sitting on the hood or the roof of the car, I’m not sure how many enforcement officers know about it when it comes to farm equipment or are willing to enforce it, somethings I can see turning a blind eye to but things like that are an accident waiting to happen!

This is my new neighbor having fun with his kids. He was out in his field going over bumps having a great time. Then took off down the road with the loader high in the air. I couldn’t believe it. He received a WTH from a Mom across the road. 

B10AADC1-CE8B-4EB8-80F2-CD09A3F231EA.jpeg

• Confused 2

Someone would have been getting a visit from a concerned neighbor if it was me... Lifting someone up in the bucket when you need to change something, yea, but that's just pure stupid right there. I really think most people don't have the "what if" thoughts. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Someone would have been getting a visit from a concerned neighbor if it was me... Lifting someone up in the bucket when you need to change something, yea, but that's just pure stupid right there. I really think most people don't have the "what if" thoughts. 

In my case they were from the city they have no idea how fast shet can go wrong.

• Like 1

Riding in a loader bucket never really appealed to me,  terribly rough ride, and dirty. But riding on the drawbar of an H or M, one arm hanging onto the seat and other reaching forward to grab the headlight bar was typical, even if you were pulling something like the auger wagon or water wagon to/from the hog pasture. It was Do THAT or walk. Fenders would have provided protection from the spinning tire but everybody knew not to mess with the tires. And two riders were easy to accommodate. Any more than that and you had the pickup out in the fields and had plenty of room in back.

Sounds like a L-O-T more people, especially kids hanging on this tractor than there could be room for,  sounds like saw logs and kids in the bucket. Not many details of what happened, if it was on a lane on the property, or a public road. Probably would have been wiser to take a loader tractor And a pickup.

• Like 1

The only time we ride the bucket in the air like that is being lifted up for a higher job. 

We trim trees from a bucket, but we have a retired material bucket that has a frame mounted in front of it and up so you can't fall forward easily. Between a pole saw and the the loader you can trim trees a ways up 

• Like 1

My brother broke both legs trimming a limb out of bucket. The next farm machinery show We went together and bought the whole family a limb hog that goes on your bucket . No more trimming from a bucket for us. 

• Like 1

Local farmer and feed customer of mine started his chore tractor (maybe a 504 - can't remember now) years ago and started out to feed cows.  One of his grandkids was hiding from grandpa in the loader bucket.  He hit a frozen rut and the grandkid bounced out and got run over and killed.

This was one of the kindest, most thoughtful family men I've known  Had to tear him up.  Pretty sure he never got over it, but who'd have thought?

• Sad 1

A person can fall off anything

It's the being thrown out that gets you hurt....or worse

This is certainly a terrible accident but I can't help but think that people just don't seem to see the potential for problems. Mechanical things can fail at any time with no warning. Even you guys trimming trees could have a bad day if, for example, a hose on the tilt cylinder of bucket failed.

My mom could have lost her legs if she didn't move fast when my dad yelled for her to get out of the way. Dad was pulling the loader tractor into the barn for the night. The bucket was at about thigh height. The front of the bucket was 8-10 feet away from a large round bale and mom was walking across in front of the tractor between it and said bale. Dad was pushing in the clutch when the linkage broke and the pedal fell to the floor. Dad yelled, tried to lower the bucket and kill the engine at the same time. Now mind you he was moving slowly, idling in 2nd or 3rd low. When he got it completely stopped however,  he had the bucket nearly buried into the bale about knee height or a little less. Could have been really bad!

Be careful out there and try to imagine how things could go wrong and avoid them. I'm not saying live life in fear, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of your surroundings and potential dangers. 

Two months ago a family was running a side by side up an fsr at a lake 50 miles from here, the dad, mom and two kids, he lost it on a turn and went down an embankment about 100 ft, folks got out but the kids were trapped in 20 ft of water, dad could'nt reach them,  campers nearby tried but nothing, never heard anymore but my knowledgs of fsr roads is you don't go fast into corners, can't imagine the pain he feels for a mistake.

21 hours ago, 806 man said:

In my case they were from the city they have no idea how fast shet can go wrong.

Please say he heard the warnings 

Id hate to see that happen.  We all know what WILL result, and would mess up your mind too if you are 1st on scene.

Lady near us had 2 small kids in bucket on road.  Swung into lane and hit pot hole.  5-6 yo son bounced out and she ran over head.  Died on site, our friend at church is her niece.  She said she never was same and never recovered emotionally.  Sadly she died quite young of damn cancer about 10 years ago.  Dont believe she was 50 even......

I just couldn’t listen 

21 hours ago, 806 man said:

This is my new neighbor having fun with his kids. He was out in his field going over bumps having a great time. Then took off down the road with the loader high in the air. I couldn’t believe it. He received a WTH from a Mom across the road. 

B10AADC1-CE8B-4EB8-80F2-CD09A3F231EA.jpeg

I’m at a loss for words and he isn’t blonde 👱‍♀️ 

• Sad 1

Watched a friend do that with his kids in a farmhand loader that next Sunday he conveniently got the story about my farmhand coupler on the loader bouncing off.

• Thanks 1

Guy died here last year from same thing riding in bucket and they hit a bump and threw him out and the rear tires got him. Very sad on all accounts.

I've let my kids go in the bucket before, when the thing is in park at a full idle, and thats IT

10 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

My mom could have lost her legs if she didn't move fast when my dad yelled for her to get out of the way. Dad was pulling the loader tractor into the barn for the night. The bucket was at about thigh height. The front of the bucket was 8-10 feet away from a large round bale and mom was walking across in front of the tractor between it and said bale. Dad was pushing in the clutch when the linkage broke and the pedal fell to the floor. Dad yelled, tried to lower the bucket and kill the engine at the same time. Now mind you he was moving slowly, idling in 2nd or 3rd low. When he got it completely stopped however,  he had the bucket nearly buried into the bale about knee height or a little less. Could have been really bad!

Wow, now that's a story of one of those freak things that is probably unavoidable. You helped me to remember a very similar incident that happened to me. I was coming around the corner in the yard with my Kubota. about to park for the night so I was going very slow, low throttle. When I depressed the clutch for the final stop, the clutch cable broke and I didn't stop. I quickly dropped the bucket into the dirt while at the same time I turned it off with the key. A big surprise to me, being tired and not really paying too much attention to what I was doing anyway. Everything turned out fine, but as they say - it could have been worse.

Keith-

46 minutes ago, KeithFink said:

Wow, now that's a story of one of those freak things that is probably unavoidable. You helped me to remember a very similar incident that happened to me. I was coming around the corner in the yard with my Kubota. about to park for the night so I was going very slow, low throttle. When I depressed the clutch for the final stop, the clutch cable broke and I didn't stop. I quickly dropped the bucket into the dirt while at the same time I turned it off with the key. A big surprise to me, being tired and not really paying too much attention to what I was doing anyway. Everything turned out fine, but as they say - it could have been worse.

Keith-

Crud, I had the 7 yo with me yesterday doing few errands.  2 frikn times I was chatting with her and stopped.  Jumped out of my 94 chev truck and left it in gear.  Almoooost hit the barn but I snagged the wheel and cranked it as i hit the brake petal.  Then hoped out at friends to quick measure something and got my tape from door pocket, stepped out and away it went.  I wasnt even really out yet so caught it quick.  But the driveway is right into a decently busy highway.  Only takes a sec.  She even yelled at me a little.....and I deserved it!

ive given and received loader rides, always sitting still, or when working from a bucket, put tools down, sit down, drive forward carefully, get stable, then stand up and work on whatever im working on, sometimes even wear one of my deer stand harness depending on what i am doing - i dont like heights mainly due to falling off a house roof and extension ladder. 

Wife tells of when she was very young. Her and brothers and sisters were riding in loader bucket with legs dangling down. Dad was driving and for some reason couldn't stop coming up to a stock tank. They all got their legs lifted and one of her brothers grabbed little Jeanie and lifted her up out of the way.  Bucket hit the tank and pushed it a bit. Not sure what happened but the thought of 5 or six kids possibly losing their legs below the knee makes me shudder. 

I will lift my wife and boys up to pick apples but even that makes me nervous. Fairly new loader and hoses in good shape BUT anything mechanical is not fail proof. 

Clutches fail at the worst times (when you want to stop), neighbors wife pushing silage up a pile went over the end when her clutch failed and not enough time to react. It was early on the pile and only a drop of about 5 feet, luckily she was just bruised up a little but the tractor took some damage. 

Too many Children die in preventable accidents every year. Like the pic from 806 man above. That gentleman needs a friendly but firm, no BS education in respect for machinery. 

• Like 1

a few years ago I was the one in the bucket with my young son in the tractor seat. We’re cutting the last one for the day but as luck would have it it shoved me outta the bucket and broke my pelvis in a couple places.  Was that the loader or the logs fault, wouldn’ it let slide down the loader and catch him.  NOtT a GOOD outlook  

i’m still alive 

john

• Like 1
  • Sad 1