88power

20 foot batwing bushhog what do you got? How do you like it?

Looking at options deere has quit making the hx20, we have ran them since 2002 and love them never had a lot of problems out of them we normally run them 5 years and trade them in. I'm not hearing good reports on the new deeres that replaced the hx20 and the pto shaft is too short to hook up to any of are 5X88's so we got to figure something out there. We clip pasture thats it we are looking for one to cut even and hold up to being ran 5 to 6 days a week 8 hours a day.

My neighbors run a Bush Hog brand 20' they have had good luck with it and it gets used hard by several different operators. Only work I have done to it is wheel bearings and new center tires last year as the old ones were coming apart. 

I have also heard nothing but good things about Schulte's but they seem to be spendy compared to others. 

• Thanks 1

We have 15' Brushhog model 3715 going on 14 years of use. Very well built and holding together very well. Only maintenance besides grease and gearbox lube has been replacing worn out blades.

• Thanks 1

Shulte if you can afford I could literally mow rocks to make gravel with mine...its that tough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mader656 said:

Shulte if you can afford I could literally mow rocks to make gravel with mine...its that tough. 

X2 on the schulte. The schulte is twice the mower that the deere is. That's what I've figured out from running both at work

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mader656 said:

4 hours ago, db1486 said:

X2 on the schulte. The schulte is twice the mower that the deere is. That's what I've figured out from running both at work

How do they do keeping an even cut? next to being well built thats the next important thing

My worn out ex county ditch mower cuts lawn mower smooth.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 88power said:

How do they do keeping an even cut? next to being well built thats the next important thing

They take the abuse so much better. The deere at work had been pretty abused when I started running it but it never would cut even. The center disc has just a slight bend and it's enough. Just lighter parts on the deere versus shulte. I've seen how the municipality's around herecurt and no way would I ever put a mower through what they do, and yet they still leave a nice even job. Heavier blades too. Everything is just heavier. Now I cant compare to the brand new Deeres because I havent seen them so maybe they are improved? All I know is 99% of the guys mowing ditches are running schulte

• Thanks 1

Schulte gets my vote too. Doesn’t hurt that my nieces boyfriend is one of the engineers there lol.  I’ve seen the abuse that the rm puts them through though and if they’ll hold up here they’ll hold up anywhere lol. Don’t have to worry about running over the ends of culverts here anymore I think just about every single one of them had had a haircut with the mowers.  They had a John Deere for a while here. It was actually delivered to them while they were cutting. They switched them out just across the road from me. Wasn’t 5 minutes went by and I could hear a loud bang. They swung out the gate where they hooked up went straight down the ditch and proceeded to cut the end of a 18” culvert off. Hadn’t even worn the paint off the blades yet lol.  It did keep on going to its credit. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, db1486 said:

They take the abuse so much better. The deere at work had been pretty abused when I started running it but it never would cut even. The center disc has just a slight bend and it's enough. Just lighter parts on the deere versus shulte. I've seen how the municipality's around herecurt and no way would I ever put a mower through what they do, and yet they still leave a nice even job. Heavier blades too. Everything is just heavier. Now I cant compare to the brand new Deeres because I havent seen them so maybe they are improved? All I know is 99% of the guys mowing ditches are running schulte

We got rid of a Deere last year it was six years old it been over 450 acres roughly 10 to 12 times a year in that six years only problem we really had and have had out of it and others and two we have now is the wings are a pain to pin up, I know most would never pay attention to that but ares get put up at the end of the day. We had problems out of the main pto shaft and the older ones the decks would crack but we haven't had that happen in awhile

6 hours ago, 88power said:

We got rid of a Deere last year it was six years old it been over 450 acres roughly 10 to 12 times a year in that six years only problem we really had and have had out of it and others and two we have now is the wings are a pain to pin up, I know most would never pay attention to that but ares get put up at the end of the day. We had problems out of the main pto shaft and the older ones the decks would crack but we haven't had that happen in awhile

I should mention that cutting fields or more level areas is a whole different playing field too. I guess if your not cutting too much rough stuff and ditches then pretty much any brand would be fine in my mind. I always have trouble with the deere and the wing driveshafts. And it's not that I'm hitting stones and what not, but just catch the ground or a mole hill wrong and right away the shaft starts to twist. Now that being said the slip clutches are supposed to be gone through before I get going mowing, but I dont know if they really are, so that may not be the mowers fault. But again, just the difference I'm heaviness of part between other brands and schulte.

Another one to look at but there isn't many around is the Degelman mowers. I believe they are built pretty close to a schulte, but I havent looked one over closely or ran one so couldn't say for sure. I do see a few RM's running them 

6 hours ago, 88power said:

What kind of pin up do the wings on the new ones have? I honestly havent seen a new deere mower around at all. 

No Woods fans?  They rule here.  

• Thanks 1

Schulte. Only mistake I made was getting a 20 foot which in this state is like a ******* child. No one stocks parts for it. 10 years later bought a 26' which is most popular in WA state so now have parts 200 miles away insread of 2000

• Thanks 1

our sharecropper runs a 2720 bush hog - hasnt said anything bad about it when I have visited with him outside of that we only have 15 footers around we use - two rhino one servus old klunker

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 7:19 PM, db1486 said:

What kind of pin up do the wings on the new ones have? I honestly havent seen a new deere mower around at all. 

2015 JOHN DEERE HX20 at TractorHouse.com 

If you look at the square tubing that runs along side the cylinders those sliver pins close to the bottom you can see the handles are the transport pins. We had problems with two new ones the pins holding the cylinders on would galled and cause the same problems and deere even redone the brackets that are welded to the deck but the older ones never done this then they changed the cylinders from the old box style to like this one here has the newer round ones

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, hobbyfarm said:

No Woods fans?  They rule here.  

We had woods before deere they cut nice but we would have to change tongues on the mower at least once a year from wear and if you had someone new using one well they aint the best for beginners. We have down size are fleet and they hired a company to mow some of are farms we use to and they have woods but ive noticed they're working on them more than their using them

On 7/3/2020 at 10:13 PM, 806 man said:

Schulte. Only mistake I made was getting a 20 foot which in this state is like a ******* child. No one stocks parts for it. 10 years later bought a 26' which is most popular in WA state so now have parts 200 miles away insread of 2000

a 26 would be nice i know of a couple around here but there are some spots we can't get with one.

For those that like Schulte I completely agree on their quality.  They are under the umbrella of Alamo Corporation.

Here is a few of Alamo's companies across the globe that make mowers.

Alamo, Bomford Turner, Bush Hog, Dutch Power Company, Herder,  McConnel, Rhino Ag, Rousseau, Schulte, Terrain King and Tiger.

Using a Tiger side flail at work for roadside mowing and a rear Alamo flail on the tractor for the ditchlines I have to say both of them are built like TANKS!  Especially the Tiger.  Thing that we hit on roadsides are never things you would see in a normal field and they just take it in stride.  I would honestly not be afraid of any of the brands made by Alamo but saying that I do not have personal experience with Terrain King or the oversea's companies under their umbrella.

• Thanks 1

Gee...I didn't realize Alamo Group had so many companies....

On 7/3/2020 at 10:13 PM, 806 man said:

I'm going today to take a look at a 26 foot how do you like it

8 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Think there is somebody making a 40 or 42 ft

Schulte makes 26 30 and 42