Jump to content

IH 241 2400 round balers


Recommended Posts

Ok I went out a got a 241 IH baler with double springs is there anything I need to know before I start working on moving the double springs over to my 2400 single spring?? Anyone know when the double springs became available? Or were they an option all along?? Thanks

CCB8396C-BEBD-4E8E-AE95-98053F4BC259.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is you are super dedicated and good luck. I run all IH tractors, but I have a green baler, and it does a very good job, not going to get rid of it any time soon.... Don’t know your situation,  but hay makes up a good bit of my income, I need to make a nice large bale every time....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DaveinSD said:

All I can say is you are super dedicated and good luck. I run all IH tractors, but I have a green baler, and it does a very good job, not going to get rid of it any time soon.... Don’t know your situation,  but hay makes up a good bit of my income, I need to make a nice large bale every time....

Well I had a 241,bought it almost new,year old.Put thousands and thousands of bales through it over 20 plus years.I had a nother 241just for a spare and a 2400 for parts.I didn't know 241 had double springs,that 2400 did.I really can't complain about that old 241.It would really eat the hay,and make a decent 1500 lb bale if you knew how to run one.They are not a idiot proof baler.They work best when one guy does the baling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad bought a new ih 241 when they first came out, 74? I remember the going to Conway ar and picking it up. 

They were very good balers in their day. However technology has advanced and they don't seem so good now. 

Ours balled a zillion bales for us and everyone else. It is the first round baler in our area.

Open throat bakers are more challenging to run than modern closer throat balers. 

Thx-Ace 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  

27 minutes ago, acem said:

Dad bought a new ih 241 when they first came out, 74? I remember the going to Conway ar and picking it up. 

They were very good balers in their day. However technology has advanced and they don't seem so good now. 

Ours balled a zillion bales for us and everyone else. It is the first round baler in our area.

Open throat bakers are more challenging to run than modern closer throat balers. 

Thx-Ace 

  Neighbor and I were talking balers one day.  He started out with a early Vermeer and I started with a 510 deere.   He said “everyone ought to learn to bale on one of those belt twisting sob’s!”   I did bale over a 100 bales in a day one time with that old 510.  Had it on my 1086.  Was a long day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, different era, IH never had the opportunity to perfect a round baler, if they had the time, who knows what they would have today....

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

  

  Neighbor and I were talking balers one day.  He started out with a early Vermeer and I started with a 510 deere.   He said “everyone ought to learn to bale on one of those belt twisting sob’s!”   I did bale over a 100 bales in a day one time with that old 510.  Had it on my 1086.  Was a long day.

Those Vermeer balers were popular up here. And I agree everybody should run one of those old ones just because. They always say the older A through C models were better than the later F G. We had a 605 f for one year I hated it with a passion. Traded it for a 8480 cih.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my 2400 baler for the bales I need it’s perfect!! I just want the best bale possible out of the old baler!! I guess I’m looking for installation guide part # 1095119R3. Any help is greatly appreciated!! 
also anyone know if there a difference in the pickups on the baler I was looking back and there was talk of a wide pickup anyone know the difference? thanks!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the specific differences but I had two 241's. If you use a common old NH 258 or JD 640 rake that kind of twists the windrow it works just fine. The year my brother switched to a H+S V rake it was a nightmare getting bales started. Even his 2000's New Holland belt style baler could not start a bale. There was just too many lumps that were dry but bunched up in front of the pickup, spent too much time off the seat unplugging.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, VacDaddyt said:

I don't know the specific differences but I had two 241's. If you use a common old NH 258 or JD 640 rake that kind of twists the windrow it works just fine. The year my brother switched to a H+S V rake it was a nightmare getting bales started. Even his 2000's New Holland belt style baler could not start a bale. There was just too many lumps that were dry but bunched up in front of the pickup, spent too much time off the seat unplugging.

Perfect description. The 241 and jd 510s would start a bale. The Vermeer 605 f would bale okay but at times starting a bale was a nightmare.  Being able to bale would turn off like a light switch. To dry to wet it would not bale.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 241 baler next door in the barn (museum piece). I call it the "roll or puke" baler. it would either start the roll, or you would puke the mess out the back and try again. even money which one it would be. I'm a little surprised anyone had a good word to say about one. Not one of IH's better ideas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had customers with 241s that baled thousands  of bales and loved the balers.  I had a 2400 and hated it got along real good with a 3650 we installed the dual spring attachment on a large percentage of the 241s and put a wider belt on the outsides.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R190 said:

We had customers with 241s that baled thousands  of bales and loved the balers.  I had a 2400 and hated it got along real good with a 3650 we installed the dual spring attachment on a large percentage of the 241s and put a wider belt on the outsides.

Yes some guys really got along well with the 241 2400. 3650 was a big step up and was a fair baler. The new balers really work

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ny bill o said:

I have a 241 baler next door in the barn (museum piece). I call it the "roll or puke" baler. it would either start the roll, or you would puke the mess out the back and try again. even money which one it would be. I'm a little surprised anyone had a good word to say about one. Not one of IH's better ideas.

I had mine for 20 plus years.They were finicky,on dry long stem course orchard grass or alfalfa I could bale as good or better then any baler I seen at that time.The key I think is you have to watch it carefully and learn how to start and feed it. The bigger the bale you made to was better.I make a 6' bale for the beef cows and they sit out all winter.There maybe be a few inches of bad hay on top but that was it.They made a thatched bale better then any other baler i ever seen.My fixed chamber baler now  I have does not weather at all but I keep them inside now to sell.Beef cows are gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ny bill o said:

I have a 241 baler next door in the barn (museum piece). I call it the "roll or puke" baler. it would either start the roll, or you would puke the mess out the back and try again. even money which one it would be. I'm a little surprised anyone had a good word to say about one. Not one of IH's better ideas.

When I was in college I worked for a farmer who had a Balzer baler.  It was made by Vermeer as we got parts from the local Vermeer dealer but I can't remember what Vermeer model it compared to.  But I can relate you your "roll or puke" comment.  That baler and I had a love hate relationship.  That's been many years ago but I'm thinking the problems started when the hay got too dry.  I'm very glad that Jesus saves us from our sins when I look back on some of the afternoons I had trying to get that thing to start a bale.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IH Forever said:

When I was in college I worked for a farmer who had a Balzer baler.  It was made by Vermeer as we got parts from the local Vermeer dealer but I can't remember what Vermeer model it compared to.  But I can relate you your "roll or puke" comment.  That baler and I had a love hate relationship.  That's been many years ago but I'm thinking the problems started when the hay got too dry.  I'm very glad that Jesus saves us from our sins when I look back on some of the afternoons I had trying to get that thing to start a bale.

Exactly the right description 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...