Sign in to follow this  
lorenzo

He said drive it like you stole it

23 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Well it’s a toy . There’s no practical reason to own it .  

They are becoming very popular in this area, my girlfriends brother just bought one earlier this year, I have not seen it yet but on Father’s Day she was visiting her parents near Montreal and her brother was FaceTime ing their parents on his way from Toronto to Montreal while driving his car. I have no idea what model it is but I’m pretty sure it’s one of the higher class if not the highest class available… He has lots of money and always likes to have the best of everything!

22 hours ago, Hot Plug said:

It's an amazing car for sure Larry .... I still prefer the sound of a 427 - GT ... I've drove a 16 H3LLCat in Launch Mode at a Strip . ( traction adhesive applied )  I couldn't imagine 3 seconds with no sound ....  like eating your best Steak with no taste ..... hOlY wAt Da !!!

HP

So where did you find a car like that??

Did you do that when MTO was up visiting you a few years ago?I seem to remember reading a big “story”about that on this forum! fact or fiction I couldn’t tell you because I wasn’t there!😒

You know, some people like peace and quiet…they like to hear the birds singing or the frogs chirping while they’re driving…

I on the other hand like the sound of my international 400 series engines, or my cat C 15 either pulling hard or slowing down loud with the Jake brake!! But that’s just me!

On 7/1/2020 at 1:11 AM, AKwelder said:

That would be a great ride there Lorenzo, and what a great way to spend the day, do you owe your buddy a new set of tires?

sure would love to buy one.

It’s barely 30 miles across town here, electric would work just fine.  And plenty of Giddy up, to have fun running for ice cream after diner with the kids

Have you seen any in Alaska yet?

I wonder how well those cars would work in the intense cold, just to run the heating system in the cab would pull a lot of juice out of the batteries I would imagine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

They are becoming very popular in this area, my girlfriends brother just bought one earlier this year, I have not seen it yet but on Father’s Day she was visiting her parents near Montreal and her brother was FaceTime ing their parents on his way from Toronto to Montreal while driving his car. I have no idea what model it is but I’m pretty sure it’s one of the higher class if not the highest class available… He has lots of money and always likes to have the best of everything!

So where did you find a car like that??

Did you do that when MTO was up visiting you a few years ago?I seem to remember reading a big “story”about that on this forum! fact or fiction I couldn’t tell you because I wasn’t there!😒

You know, some people like peace and quiet…they like to hear the birds singing or the frogs chirping while they’re driving…

I on the other hand like the sound of my international 400 series engines, or my cat C 15 either pulling hard or slowing down loud with the Jake brake!! But that’s just me!

Have you seen any in Alaska yet?

I wonder how well those cars would work in the intense cold, just to run the heating system in the cab would pull a lot of juice out of the batteries I would imagine. 

There are a couple Tesla’s  here in town,  And a few others.  The Tesla seems to be very reasonable for fairbanks, but there is not a dealer network 

from a conversation I had with a owner they work fine, you warm Them up before you start and they are good to go. I guess they have a good electric heater. You just need to park them inside, cold soaking and staying outdoors seems to be problematic 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

I guess they have a good electric heater. You just need to park them inside, cold soaking and staying outdoors seems to be problematic 

You guys are silly. You don’t buy it because you want a car to drive to work in cold  climates  And snow . 

You buy it because you can . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

What type (and quantity!) of fuel are you firing that boiler with?

Powder river basin coal out of Wyoming. Prb low sulfur as we call it. get 2 trains a day. 130 cars and each one car holds 110 ton ish. That what your asking? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Yall keep buying them and I'll make sure this fire stays lit in my boiler. 730,000 lbs / hour for anyone who's keeping track but I can make all the charging stations full when you need them. That's a fact 

Gracious sakes!  My hat's off to you in appreciation.  I find this kind of info fascinating.  Coming back from WY 15 years ago, I enjoyed seeing train after train with 100+ cars heading east out of Gillette.  I knew something had a massive appetite for coal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Gracious sakes!  My hat's off to you in appreciation.  I find this kind of info fascinating.  Coming back from WY 15 years ago, I enjoyed seeing train after train with 100+ cars heading east out of Gillette.  I knew something had a massive appetite for coal.

Yes sir. I think it's pretty much that way across the midwest for sure with the exception of a few in illinois that are designed to burn the higher sulfur Illinois coal. We used to but emissions controls forced us go with the prb 8800 btu stuff. 

Thanks for those details.  I look forward to giving my eco-conscious, battery-crazy nephew a good dose of fossil fuel reality.  He's forever going on about Teslas, Milwaukee M18 tools, and various coal-powered lawn equipment.

8 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Powder river basin coal out of Wyoming. Prb low sulfur as we call it. get 2 trains a day. 130 cars and each one car holds 110 ton ish. That what your asking? 

Which power plant again? Mw capacity? Thanks 

46 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Which power plant again? Mw capacity? 

2600mw 

10 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Exactly what I was asking!!

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

2600mw 

And that saved me doing the arithmetic that I am too hot and tired to do!

What transmission voltage do you send it out at?

On 7/2/2020 at 10:18 AM, lorenzo said:

You guys are silly. You don’t buy it because you want a car to drive to work in cold  climates  And snow . 

You buy it because you can . 

Peugeot's e legend

On 7/2/2020 at 2:08 PM, EquipmentJunkie said:

He's forever going on about Teslas, Milwaukee M18 tools,

HEY, don't be hatin' on the M18's.............................................😁😃😁

For the record, can't replace the rumble of a big block chevy or the cackle of a big kitty cat on the jake. Music to my ears😉🤗🥰

Seems like I heard that in some some big cities (maybe not even in this country) electric cars are required to have speaker on the front bumper to broadcast real car sounds. 😄 Seems like too many pedestrians were being hit by them because they couldn't hear them coming. (lookin at cell phone probably)

Now where did I put that top fuel mp3 file😆

• Like 3

22 hours ago, sandhiller said:

HEY, don't be hatin' on the M18's.............................................😁😃😁

There's no way I'm hatin' on the M18s.  I own them myself and our whole shop uses them.  They're nothing sort of fabulous.

I just know when to quit rambling on about the M18s.  If I'm not careful, I can accidentally initiate a 10-minute, one-sided "conversation" from my nephew about Milwaukee tools on a daily basis.

For the record, I actually like the sound of electric cars.  I find the gear whine noise very pleasing...just not in the same way as inline-6 diesel, big block V-8, or a Formula 1 car.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, Rusty shackleford said:

Have a compressed air engine that also has a air compressor built it so it wpuld fuel itself, i seen old steam engines hooked up to compressed air

Perpetual motion machine?

Gopher it.  You'll make gazillions.

• Like 1

The sound in person live is much better then on TV .32314C54-9D20-4AA8-8FF8-A9E53BDD6C79.thumb.jpeg.8dbf4f0eba669ed346b626d9e128d4fd.jpeg

5 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

There's no way I'm hatin' on the M18s.  I own them myself and our whole shop uses them.  They're nothing sort of fabulous.

I just know when to quit rambling on about the M18s.  If I'm not careful, I can accidentally initiate a 10-minute, one-sided "conversation" from my nephew about Milwaukee tools on a daily basis.

For the record, I actually like the sound of electric cars.  I find the gear whine noise very pleasing...just not in the same way as inline-6 diesel, big block V-8, or a Formula 1 car.

I bought the shop vac the other day. Paid for itself picking up a ripped bag of alfalfa seed. The 18v Milwaukee pile is getting to be obsessive.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:58 PM, lorenzo said:

So a buddy of mine let me have his Tesla for today . Model S  . 

Zero to 60 is the most amazing , the G force actualy gave me a bit of tunnel vision for a few seconds.  Very spacious interior with a full glass top, steering wheel has a nice  ergonomic feeling with just the right amount of padding where it’s needed,  Computer graphics and video screen are the best I’ve ever seen . More tec gadgets then I knew were possible. It’s a whole different driving experience then I expected . If ya get a chance drive one. 

FFAE5567-226C-4ADC-BFF8-6F7D328DCF92.thumb.jpeg.8761c4eba9db4aec87e9f0af6d448de7.jpeg

Lorenzo, I was watching leno last night and he had musk on talking about a new model this year doing 1.9 in the 0-60 category, what I found worth mentioning is a type of afterburner, now in a 2 minute skit the basics are flown over but apparently it uses some type of compressed gas, googling will help my story here but its late and if I didnt print it out now id forget.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:40 PM, lorenzo said:

The sound in person live is much better then on TV .

Absolutely!  I attended the Canadian Grand Prix in 1992...oh the sounds and smells!  It was wonderful and I was hooked as an F1 fan.

I also went to the Indy GP races for several years until the infamous Bridgestone vs. Michelin race.  While still impressive, the distance from the track at Indy dulls the influence of exhaust, brakes, and rubber a bit.  I will say that watching qualifying there was a lot of fun.

I have a CD of F1 sounds from the V12 and V8 era.  I crank that up from time to time 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:19 AM, Missouri Mule said:

that sounds like a Roscoe P Coaltrain!!!

On 7/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, 1586 Jeff said:

Exactly what I was asking!!

And that saved me doing the arithmetic that I am too hot and tired to do!

What transmission voltage do you send it out at?

345,000 volts 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

345,000 volts 

Are you working strictly with the boiler(s)?  Or do you get into the generation and transmission side of things as well?

What voltage are you generating at?  I would have to presume that you step up your voltage for transmission, correct?

Was pulling out of the gate with one of the high school kids that worked here a couple summers ago, we got behind a tesla as i pulled on the road i told him id give him all the money in my wallet if he could point out the exhaust pipe on it, needless to say he didn't find it as funny as i and he new more about the damn thing then i did..... and if you where wondering i only had 3 dollars on me to start with

On 7/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, jass1660 said:

Yes electric is motors  combustion is engines. I thought you were a parts changer????lol

so it should be enginecycle, not motorcycle?

• Haha 1

Double post - sorry