3x4 baler 4790 hesston or 8585 case IH baler density problem

Hello, Been awhile since I posted, but always have success.  Have a Hesston 4790 (3x4) baler same as a 8585 (case IH).  The problem I am having is that the left density cylinder pulls down more than the right cylinder. This causes the left board to be pushed in further than the right board.   Repacked both cylinders, still happening.  Load is running at 225, staying constant.  Hydraulics working okay.  Any idea what causes this problem?  Not sure if more information is needed.

Thanks

David

20200629_163319.jpg

20200629_163305.jpg

We have a four-by-four Baler but we haven't used it in the last few years as we chop everything. For what I would suggest first check and make sure all of your dogs are working also to me it sounds like there would be a problem with a pivot somewhere being not want the pivot correctly did it allows the one side to go and not the other. Or is there something wrong in the hay stuffer it is stuffing the slice unevenly? Sorry speech to text

Bitty,  Thanks for the information.  Everything looks fine.  I agree that bale that is in there looks funny, the stuffer on that left side is not full.  Looks like a driver problem.  But upon saying that have had this baler for a number years, put up about 1500 tons of grass straw and it is always tighter on that left side.  When chamber was empty, boards swung back and forth. Maybe it is just me?  Have a 3x3 no problem there.

David

Same problem big windrows or small?

exSW, Not the biggest windrows, but not smallest, maybe medium (I know, depends on what is big or small).  I was able to increase speed and watched the direction arrows closer and it worked better.  Still the left cylinder was pulled down about 1/2" to 1" further.  But made good looking bales.  The other think that I think is that we raked the single row and that made it not as wide so it is "harder" to fill that chamber evenly.  I probably need to increase the amount of material in the stuffer chamber before it trips also.

David

Are you raking two windrows on one?  If you have a back-and-forth cutting pattern, raking two windrows together tends to result in a windrow that is denser on one side than the other, because the windrow responds to the rake differently on one side than the other.  Most times this isn’t an issue, just have to not try to visually center the tractor/baler on the windrow.  Let the directional arrows tell you how to drive.  Also possible that there is a calibration error in the system that drives the directional arrows, but I wouldn’t venture a guess what or how as I am not familiar with Hesston big squares.

try driving the opposite direction on the windrow if you have a pattern you follow. Has to be some simple thing. How about switching the cylinders on the rear and seeing what it does

My first thought would be a failure of one of the plunger arm load sensors. Does the monitor show an equal load on both sides? If it shows all of the load on one side, swap the harness wires at the load sensors and see if it shows all of the load on the opposite side. If so, you would need to replace the bad plunger arm.

are the driving arrows working on the monitor? If so it is not a packer arm sensor.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas.  Scraglycat, I have a question, on my monitor the only individual sensor I have for the load (plunger) arms would be the driving arrows.  Do the newer monitors have load numbers for each plunger arm? 

Gearclash,  Yea sometimes a person forgets to drive from the ddriving arrows and drives by the tractor and row.  Old habits I guess.

David

On 7/2/2020 at 8:09 AM, grassseed farmer said:

Thanks for all the tips and ideas.  Scraglycat, I have a question, on my monitor the only individual sensor I have for the load (plunger) arms would be the driving arrows.  Do the newer monitors have load numbers for each plunger arm? 

Gearclash,  Yea sometimes a person forgets to drive from the ddriving arrows and drives by the tractor and row.  Old habits I guess.

David

That's right, that model would have just the arrows. If the arrows are always telling you to go one way, switch the wires, then see if it always tells you to go the other way. If so you likely have a bad load sensor. (Or a broken wire). My 2150 moniter does have a bar graph which shows the load on each side.

• Like 1