Hey guys question for all you truck drivers and mechanics.  I bought an 83 kenworth W900, and decided to get some fluids changed.  Only hauls our grain 30 miles to the elevator. A few thousand miles a year.  After dropping the drain plugs in the rears I found these pieces.  I know from the previous owner that they never changed the oil in the last 5 years.  You guys think this is an issue or just keep on running?  No noises or anything to speak of

49597E30-DCE2-4F77-9B72-4934750FE8C8.jpeg

8D541D78-1DCB-49B4-9E9D-E5B6120C26BE.jpeg

Well you know there is something going on, the question when it goes down how badly will it effect you at the time. Maybe find a used pot and have ready to drop in. When I worked at a truck shop years ago once in awhile we would find things like that too. Usually the truck just went back out the door. 

Chuncks usually mean its only a matter of time. Obviously its not a bearing if theres no noise. Does it have full diff locks and or a power divider? If so lock them in one at a time and listen for clunking. That way if its there you can isolate the issue. If its one of those things it probably got locked in with a wheel spinning which is a huge no no. Wheel slippage under load then suddenly finding traction is **** on semi rear ends. If no clunking with nothing locked in you may be ok for awhile.

1 hour ago, 660 driver said:

Chuncks usually mean its only a matter of time. Obviously its not a bearing if theres no noise. Does it have full diff locks and or a power divider? If so lock them in one at a time and listen for clunking. That way if its there you can isolate the issue. If its one of those things it probably got locked in with a wheel spinning which is a huge no no. Wheel slippage under load then suddenly finding traction is **** on semi rear ends. If no clunking with nothing locked in you may be ok for awhile.

It’s got a power divider.  Rayco suspension. That piece on my finger came out the front rear with the power divider. The rest came out the back rear. With corn prices where they are im not trying to spend more than I have to

1 minute ago, Bdse25 said:

It’s got a power divider.  Rayco suspension. That piece on my finger came out the front rear with the power divider. The rest came out the back rear. With corn prices where they are im not trying to spend more than I have to

Youll know if shes bad under normal operation. They will bang and clunk but sometimes only when differential is sending power to certain axle shafts. Rear ends are pretty easy but if shes noise free on good roads and no out of the field it should be ok for awhile. Youll have to baby him though. What engine? Big block or small block?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

Wait till you re hauling a load to town and have a piece get caught in the gears. That's trucks drive train will be junk from front to back.

To avoid that i would pull the pumpkins and clean out any debris. Costs nothing but time but yes eventually it will likely bite him. When their out you can inspect for any obvious signs of cracking. Ive done this to get through the fall rush once but that truck did NOT leave good roads or driveways til the rear end was fixed. Luckily it held til we could fix it. That truck had a 3406 set at 475 so i had to be very careful.

1 minute ago, 660 driver said:

To avoid that i would pull the pumpkins and clean out any debris.

I would be sure to leave a strong magnet stuck to the bottom of the housing to trap bits and pieces.

Mike

• Like 2

I think if you have time, I would pull it apart , because if your  luck is like mine it will break when you don’t have time and you need it. Cheap insurance, fix it before you need it. It could be the difference between getting a crop off or not getting a crop off.

IF nothing else, could you get an inspection camera in the drain plug hole just to get eyes on it?

58 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

Youll know if shes bad under normal operation. They will bang and clunk but sometimes only when differential is sending power to certain axle shafts. Rear ends are pretty easy but if shes noise free on good roads and no out of the field it should be ok for awhile. Youll have to baby him though. What engine? Big block or small block?

3406 A set at 425 

13 speed Eaton 

sounds like I’ll put fresh oil in it haul what I need to to wrap up wheat harvest and then pull them apart before fall.  I guess it can’t be to expensive to get some bearings and throw them back together just to be safe

53 minutes ago, mikem said:

I would be sure to leave a strong magnet stuck to the bottom of the housing to trap bits and pieces.

Mike

Both drain plugs have magnets in them and had the pieces stuck to them

If you decide to fix them I would buy a complete pumpkin. Front drive depending on your model of rears would be around 3500 and rear is around 1500. A lot of those bearings are China made and don’t last as long as genuine Eaton rebuilds but I also understand about not spending money. With what you use it for I would look for a yard with a used set to put in it. That tooth chunk looks like it’s from a spider gear on the power divider. Best case scenario when it goes is your done and gotta find a place to pull over. Worst case is one of those gears will fall in the front part of the housing and lock up the front axle. That is odd but possible and I have first hand experience of that. I had it going again the next day but my cost was doubled cause it ruined 4 new drives when it locked with a load on. 

98 pete had a vibration at 50-60 mph , Input shaft on front diff was a little loose, pulled the divider apart the carrier with the 4 spiders were all breaking up $1750 for reman complete unit. no more vibration.

I wuz gonna ask "what's a pumpkin" but I'm gonna gess here, rear end housing where the differential fits in?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I wuz gonna ask "what's a pumpkin" but I'm gonna gess here, rear end housing where the differential fits in?

You got it!!

• Thanks 1

How about this, could the debris be from previous damage and was not cleaned out well?

1 hour ago, augercreek said:

How about this, could the debris be from previous damage and was not cleaned out well?

Possible but in my opinion not likely. When the guts are out the housing is wide open and easy to see. They almost woulda had to intentionally left the debris in there unless it was sitting up in the axle shaft housing and migrated to the center which it definately can do. 3406's have a lot of torque at any HP setting. If an engine can overpower and break driveline componants a big block can. The old four and a quarters i used to drive way back in the day always were plenty strong. 

6 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Yes and I shouldn’t of called it that. The housing is fine. I meant replace the diffs not the pumpkins. Must of been tired when I said that or just to much on my mind  

I would chaange the fluids, add a magnet to the cap, take it out and clean the magnet in 500 miles or so. Then, 500 miles after that, see if you're still making any new debris. If you're making new debris, then I would say jump right on it.

Good sump magnets are available from autoparts places cheap.

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I would chaange the fluids, add a magnet to the cap, take it out and clean the magnet in 500 miles or so. Then, 500 miles after that, see if you're still making any new debris. If you're making new debris, then I would say jump right on it.

Good sump magnets are available from autoparts places cheap.

+1.............We had a D3 Cat here for awhile, found a ton of iron in the bottom, and the guy who owned it had the powershift rebuilt because it shelled out.  First thing I thought of was they didn't get it cleaned out, or were too lazy too clean it out 100% because it worked well.  My brother didn't think so, thought it was going to blow apart.  Well the guy who owned it needed it to cut some roads in at his cabin up in NY state, so my brother was excited it was leaving.  They hauled it up there, cut the roads in, then his neighbor up there rented it, and last I talked to him, still had it and was using it, not a lick of trouble. I bet if we kept it here and used it, things would have cleared right up and no new iron would have been made.   

On 6/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, mikem said:

Mike

Both drain plugs have magnets in them and had the pieces stuck to them

After reading all this I’m going to refill them and check in a few hundred miles.  We have maybe 5 loads of wheat to haul, then nothing until fall so plenty of time to rebuild if needed