Sign in to follow this  
DirtBoyz07

My 1979 Scout

I did some work on ( Tonto ) my Scout and after that I buffed it’s all out waxed it and sealed the entire finish when I was done , I figured it deserved some special care after getting my Red Power this week 😎 Thanks Dennis and Salli 😊

‘Danny 

85D8C27E-8851-4EAA-8B6E-578631046243.jpeg

FD3721A5-1BB6-4BBE-9DDD-02C84E43C0B6.jpeg

FF07259A-7C6E-4C53-A9B0-97CFFCE16892.jpeg

• Like 25

Good looking scout. 

Very nice scout. I have an '80 that I think is the same color (appears more brownish), but was neglected and left to rot for years before I got a hold on it.

Tonto is a beauty !

Congratulations on the great picture on Red Power Mag.

Tony

P.S. your going to enjoy the shop at Grass Valley.

What` s the history on it Daniel?

Looks great danny! A ride one day would be sweet! Someday ill get to that '67 1200 4x4 we have......someday hopefully before i die! Lol!

I'm jealous!

I am the 3 rd owner , it came out of Atlanta Georgia. My nephew flew down and he drove it back for me , I can’t remember what year I got it but think 10 or 12 years ago. It has a 304 V 8 , auto, factory AC , I put the 4” lift kit in and the rims and tires and that about it . I would like to RedPower it some day , the poor thing won’t get out of its own way and get 10 mpg , up hill , down hill , 100 degrees above or 30 degrees . I was thinking a 3.9 /4BT Cummins 🤔 never done anything like that before , not sure how to get an adapted to my tranny and then the gear ratio stuff , and you know me it will need to melt those big old tires 👍😎

I do that someday when I get caught up 😂

Danny 

• Like 2

That thing may be famous from being in a commercial!

How cool is that , just remember they only made one winter and there was nothing left but the drivetrain 😂😂

Danny

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I am the 3 rd owner , it came out of Atlanta Georgia. My nephew flew down and he drove it back for me , I can’t remember what year I got it but think 10 or 12 years ago. It has a 304 V 8 , auto, factory AC , I put the 4” lift kit in and the rims and tires and that about it . I would like to RedPower it some day , the poor thing won’t get out of its own way and get 10 mpg , up hill , down hill , 100 degrees above or 30 degrees . I was thinking a 3.9 /4BT Cummins 🤔 never done anything like that before , not sure how to get an adapted to my tranny and then the gear ratio stuff , and you know me it will need to melt those big old tires 👍😎

I do that someday when I get caught up 😂

Danny 

Could put one of the hellcrate motors in it. 

I have several Scouts with 304,s and they have plenty of power, you might just need to pull all of the 79 smog stuff off. Or you can build a 304 like I did for my 69. With some extra compression, a cam, and a few more mods it’s amazing what a 304 will do.

My RPM came today. I noticed the Scout right away. Nice!

• Like 1

Looks great Danny!

Is there any connection between the 304 IH used and what AMC used? For some reason I’m thinking they are the same motor? My very first vehicle was a ‘78 Jeep CJ5 and the 304 had plenty of power in that little thing.

The only thing in common is the displacement, the IH 304 is a lower decked 345, and the AMC 304 is a relative to the AMC 360 and 400. That’s a super clean looking Rallye too!

23 minutes ago, DaveinSD said:

The only thing in common is the displacement, the IH 304 is a lower decked 345, and the AMC 304 is a relative to the AMC 360 and 400. That’s a super clean looking Rallye too!

Thanks for setting me straight. Not sure where I got that. Not the 1st time I was wrong.

My only problem is it should have been on the Cover!!!

jerry

• Like 2

Congrats Danny! Looks great. I sure have enjoyed my 80’ Scout. 

Danny, what was the reason for the trip to the old IH Photographic Center? Find anything new and interesting there? I bet that was quite an interesting place in its day with IH.

Thanks you guys , the Scout got a free ride on the back of Petey  to Chicago when we took the articulated 7140  back to Hinsdale Engineering and my good friend from engineering got my wife and I a private tour of the photo farm . This is by no means open to the public and I was just very lucky to get to go there . The man in the picture is the retired head engineering that did the 7140 , he worked at IH Engineering I think he said 1961 , so he has worked many years on building a lot of our tractors .

Danny 

0EB55183-3B7F-46DF-9F8F-8DE56BA03D5F.jpeg

203A6E5B-5540-4C7F-9298-C9D15B8E8F99.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Thanks for setting me straight. Not sure where I got that. Not the 1st time I was wrong.

IH used the 232 , 258, in scouts and the 232, 258, and 401 in pickups and travelalls.

Very nice. If possible I would put a 391 in it. We had a 391 in a loadstar silage truck. It would solve the power problem but the gas tank being big enough ...... not so much

;)