Sign in to follow this  
redneckhippie

Good bye old friend

Mike's going home.  This morning he came over to see me but didnt eat. Looked back a few times as he walked away. I knew I shouldve gave him some extra hugs today but didnt. I'm going to miss the old guy. Been with me my whole adult life. Run free my old friend. Mike was a 40 plus year old mule. He had a pretty good life and was loved by many. 

Screenshot_20200628-213016_Gallery.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

My sympathies, one who has never had the pleasure of their company can never know how much a part of you they become. 

Remember the good times and take some comfort that God gave you one his special creatures to care for and allow for you to be cared for by him. 

I am sorry I don't have better words for you. I know the hurt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

My sympathies, one who has never had the pleasure of their company can never know how much a part of you they become. 

Remember the good times and take some comfort that God gave you one his special creatures to care for and allow for you to be cared for by him. 

I am sorry I don't have better words for you. I know the hurt. 

I think what bothers me the most is wasnt able to go comfort him and bury him properly. Im kinda weird about animals being treated with care after they're gone. When he walked away he stopped and looked back a few times. I did give him a good brushing and rub down the other day. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

I think what bothers me the most is wasnt able to go comfort him and bury him properly. Im kinda weird about animals being treated with care after they're gone. When he walked away he stopped and looked back a few times. I did give him a good brushing and rub down the other day. 

I don't think that is weird at all. It shows respect. 

Some animals want to be alone to die. I think it is maybe instinct, old primal urges, I don't know. Don't judge yourself too harshly. 

Horses are the hardest to bury. There is just no good way to handle them.

They have to be deep enough that coyotes can't dig down to them. It is a lot of work but in my situation I have been able to do that.

The spirit, the part of the animal that was looking back at you when you were looking into his eyes has left the body. I believe we will all be joined again some day. The part of him that remembers how well you treated him while he was alive. It will be a good time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Condolences red, take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never an easy thing. If it was you wouldn’t be human I don’t think. Take care and remember the good over the bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear. Be easy on yourself for sure he'll remember all the good times with you as you should too. Take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Never easy but remember the good times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about Mike. They are so much a part of the family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear, sad day losing the old friend for that long . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It just makes you sick in the stomach.

Take care Red

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss. Mules are special animals. They are just a hair smarter than most horses thus a tad more personality. They mess with you yet move heaven and earth to keep you safe when your on their backs. We lost Lena a couple winter ago. She was born on our farm to my registered quarterhorse mare star. Her brother was born the same way the following year. Her brother ole had to leave as he got mean but Lena lived her life out with us. Dad used her for patrol and parade duties for the goodhue county mounted posse. She performed her duties flawlessly. Her and ole were trained to drive as well and she proved a hard worker on the plow,mower,and planter. She always picked up oles slack as he was a little lazy but slightly bigger. She had a heart of gold! We found her dead one winter along the west fence line looked like she may have slipped on late winter ice. Cant replace a good mule. May your friend rest in peace.

• Like 4

Sorry for your loss .

Never easy to loose an old friend

Tony

• Like 4

After that long they're definitely part of the family. Remember the good times as they will get you through. Condolences from RTF.

• Like 1

Tough time to deal with loosing a pet 

• Like 2

Your preaching to the choir,with this bunch. Been real lucky with some of the best horses,old and slow in the pasture and just found them dead like a heart attack or something got them. All harder when I know they hurt,but I had decide 😢 and make the call.

Had stray yellow tom cat wonder in 17 or 18 years ago. My wife attempts to tame all critters like  that. One day,"I touched him". About a week latter he walked in the door and took over as the king. Many times he would do his best to annoy me,😉 would of been easy to hall him down the road to find a new home. And several time he would be gone a week or 10 days,😉 but a bad penny comes home. One time more than a month. Had a mouse infestation,one came by his food,he ran away. 😡 That had me more than a little put out,a cat that did not kill a mouse.😵 But now that he past this spring I even miss the worthless O'l tom cat,not being underfoot. So much more for animal you worked with that helped you as besides just loving the old critter.

• Like 2

Our pets give us a decade or 2 of pleasure and weeks or months of sorrow.

Its worth it.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the replies. I didnt leave home today. It was strange as for the last year i have gone and fed him night and day. He was a shared mule from a broken home. He originally came from a home a few miles away. The couple had divorced and left him behind. My mom went and fed and checked on him so often. Soon her neighbors adopted him and brought him home. He would come see my mom daily and also visit the neighbors on the otherside so he had 3 families. The neighbor decided they would get rid of him probably because they wanted to come and go freely so my mom and dad agreed to take care of him but he stayed on the neighbor's place most of the time. I lost dad in 09 and mom came to stay with me 4 years ago so I took over feeding and caring for him. He would normally be waiting for me and braying when I showed up. I thought he knew all my cars but I think he brayed at all the cars at that time of day. Yesterday he wasnt waiting but saw me drive by and came over to see me. When he walked away and stopped to look back it was almost like he knew it was time. He was quite a mule! He was always waiting sneakily waiting for someone to leave a gate unattended and he did go gallivanting around the neighborhood a few times. A few years ago he went about a mile down the road.  Snuck up behind a stranger and put his head on his shoulder. He spent the night in his pasture. I found him the next day and walked him home. 

I didnt put this here for sympathy but more of a tribute. I hope he is running free now. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, MTO said:

Its worth it.

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Its worth it.

Ya live longer having them beside you,  no matter what kind of a**holes ya gotta put up with in life the four legged ones are a joy to have in your space.

• Like 4

On 6/29/2020 at 10:59 PM, MTO said:

Its worth it.

Well said and oh so true. Can't imagine life without pets. 

• Like 2