Sign in to follow this  
zleinenbach

20 years difference

3 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Anybody think their modern rigs will still be around in another 40-50 years?  

JD 8000 series are 25 years old.  I would think they would be still be around in another 15 years.  

• Thanks 1

Just looking quick with the pics I had, this is best I can do. 38 years.  One getting fueled up to go to work, other, pinned to a small brush hog waiting to trim around the edges once the work is done. image.thumb.jpg.518017e0475a0dfcce2aab501e54d350.jpg

• Like 1

There are many points in history that have huge sudden leaps of tech.  Think about it for a minute.  Its 1953 and the top of the line rowcrop tractor you are farming with is a Super MTA.  Flash forward 10 years and now you are farming with a 806.  Or on the green side if you are a wheatland farmer there are only 2 years that separate the 2 cylinder 830 and the 5010.  

Excellent point.  

I have always told people that I was lucky enough to have never had to drive an H or an M......yet,  we use our 806 and ‘68 Ford 5000’s every day.  

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Wow, for one thing the long riders quote was a joke, as you know the story was about a bunch of s**trats.

And going by our talks your in a pretty good place, the reference to all things motorized was a city reference to the old west, and living where you are I think you get that point, I’ve been to the old west version and I’ve seen your version, if you take away the motorized reference, insert the horse, the only real difference is the timeline of which you speak ( maybe the coffee too) the changes aren’t all that great, and if tony lama can expound on ridin, ropin, and ranchin, then I will to, 500.00 to 2000.00 dollar boots be damned.

Jake I know you meant it all it good humor.

I should have deleted 11 times and come back with a bad joke, so typical of me. 

It's just that I miss being able to be horseback every day like I was when first married. Gets in your blood. Kinda like your Harley, it's a part of your life, who you are.  Sometimes it hits me hard. Just happened to be typing on this thread when it hit. 

I could buy a good horse now, I have the money. Problem is finding the time to ride him enough to keep him good. And that wouldn't be fair to the horse. I'm still around my cows, that will have to do for now. And it will.

Maybe I should just buy a lottery ticket, they say I could win millions. Quit a couple of jobs and find the time to go back to the good old days. 😉  😄

Alright enough of the sap crap, i'll get back to posting the same old dumb sh!t that I think is funny. 🙄😁

Oh, and zleinenback sir, sorry for taking your thread off topic, it's a good one and I'll respect it😀

• Like 1

I don’t have a pic of them together, but my two main tractors are an 856 and a 5088, 20+ years, and the difference is huge. I still have an M and an H too, but they can’t do much of the real work, but they can pull a small rake or the square baler. The big, I can’t believe these are both tractors jump is to go from the H/M to the 5088, that’s like 5 generations.

53 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

It's just that I miss being able to be horseback every day like I was when first married. Gets in your blood. Kinda like your Harley, it's a part of your life, who you are.  Sometimes it hits me hard. Just happened to be typing on this thread when it hit. 

I could buy a good horse now, I have the money. Problem is finding the time to ride him enough to keep him good. And that wouldn't be fair to the horse. I'm still around my cows, that will have to do for now. And it will.

Maybe I should just buy a lottery ticket, they say I could win millions. Quit a couple of jobs and find the time to go back to the good old days. 😉  😄

Alright enough of the sap crap, i'll get back to posting the same old dumb sh!t that I think is funny. 🙄😁

Oh, and zleinenback sir, sorry for taking your thread off topic, it's a good one and I'll respect it😀

I’m glad you didn’t, and I don’t think Z minds it’s a thread on a forum, no sap crap at all, we all gotta look at things different as we get older because of just that,  we are older, take care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Anybody think their modern rigs will still be around in another 40-50 years?  

Yes

The guy said M were way to fancy to last.....**** there are 1 million T fords still reg in the US alone.  Alot said they would never make it.

10 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I’m way too young to be called sir- and not nearly important enough either!

its all interesting to me. 
just like any conversation where ever it ends up is fine by me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

I’m way too young to be called sir- and not nearly important enough either!

We too joke about it being a sign of old age.

But it is not only age or importance, it is the way a man carries himself and reacts to situations that come his way that earns a man the right to be called sir. IMHO.

However you look at it, I meant it as a compliment. 😃

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

We too joke about it being a sign of old age.

But it is not only age or importance, it is the way a man carries himself and reacts to situations that come his way that earns a man the right to be called sir. IMHO.

However you look at it, I meant it as a compliment. 😃

It’s just ironic today- at work I have a new guy shadowing myself for two weeks, because others in this company typically take new guys and haze them to the point of running them off.

so he’s super nervous and is yes sir this and no sir that and it is funny to me, being 34, that I’m old enough to be called sir.

so after a little razzing and trying to get him to loosen up a little I think he’ll be a good one. 
it’s hard to find someone his age that even knows the word, much less when to use it

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

it’s hard to find someone his age that even knows the word, much less when to use it

My three boys grew up comfortably using "sir" and "ma'am". Still do. Maybe a little old fashioned to some, I think of it as having manners. We could use a little more of it in today's world. 

• Like 3

What about combines?  1967 you were top dog with a 503.  10 years later they were almost antiques compared to a 1460.  JD’s biggest combine going into 1957 was the 55.  Just 4 years later they put the 105 on the market which had almost twice the capacity.  Heck only 11 years separate the 7700 from the 9600.  For Massey you could have had a new Super 92 in 1962 and 10 years later be sitting in a 760 between breakdowns.  

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

What about combines?  1967 you were top dog with a 503.  10 years later they were almost antiques compared to a 1460.  JD’s biggest combine going into 1957 was the 55.  Just 4 years later they put the 105 on the market which had almost twice the capacity.  Heck only 11 years separate the 7700 from the 9600.  For Massey you could have had a new Super 92 in 1962 and 10 years later be sitting in a 760 between breakdowns.  

And now the only physical limitation is how tall the overpasses on the interstate are. 
I’m concerned they are trying to “replace” (don’t think it’s possible imo) hard work with computerized algorithms to take the place of it? That’s the way the HVAC industry seems to be headed that way for sure. Smart thermostats so people can adjust from phones...

On 6/29/2020 at 3:42 PM, zleinenbach said:

And now the only physical limitation is how tall the overpasses on the interstate are. 
I’m concerned they are trying to “replace” (don’t think it’s possible imo) hard work with computerized algorithms to take the place of it? That’s the way the HVAC industry seems to be headed that way for sure. Smart thermostats so people can adjust from phones...

I will say that I thnk whats the driver is the lack of trained or ability to be trained (lazy) culture.  Everything is easy.  PEX, wiring, gps, 100 sensors, self driving etc.  Makes everything easy so people dont need to bothered with work.  There is all this effort by group pushing guys into trades.  Yet you can always feel culture is not truly on board.  You make a $100k welding (which is not the majority of welders) or CPA-ing (totally common $100k) peoples books and when you into yourself at the wedding/party/event you can see the difference in reactions.  Then the white collar folk will B all day when the plumber charges 100/hr as their law firm charges 300.  No one wants to pay for skill it feels like.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

No one wants to pay for skill it feels like.

So true, or pay for quality.  It’s all about being the cheapest 

• Sad 1

…..great thread...….as usual , I am fifty years behind the times....showing the old T20 discing   .   (my good self in the command centre......not a recent picture …...:rolleyes: )...and   my friend , now long deceased, on the 15/30...at home......

Incredible   technological  advancements in the ten years between those  tractors.??..……not really...both SOB's to start  …..if something was not quite on song.....!!!...

Both still at home......not operational ….:mellow:

Mike

post-157-1161504499   mike lesT20.jpg

post-157-1165083477       leslie h.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

So true, or pay for quality.  It’s all about being the cheapest 

Exactly right. Cheapest up front and demand the top notch customer service through the remainder. I’ve posted this before but it’s fitting hereCDA6E343-EA6D-4CC6-A94D-EEB82D2881E8.jpeg.96abc6da0ed51e573fc1c5ce118cc4da.jpeg