Sign in to follow this  
MCC

Driveway grass removal

I have a low use driveway that I would like to keep looking like a gravel drive instead of a yard.   What are the best mechanical ways of doing this and what sprays work well?  I'd prefer a mechanical solution where I can.  Spray wise, Roundup only killed about a third of what I sprayed this spring.  What spray works best?

Thanks,

Dan

A good back blade will get the job done. If its too compacted where the blade cant get a good bite,wait til after a good rain then do it. It will peel right up.

I use round up. 

If you buy it from a hardware store you might as well pour it on your  Cheerios  Because it’s worthless . 

Get the real stuff and it will work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I use round up. 

If you buy it from a hardware store you might as well pour it on your  Cheerios  Because it’s worthless . 

Get the real stuff and it will work. 

Yeah....the store stuff is like half a pint per 100g.  The proper mix is 1 quart per 100g.....the troys blend is 1 qrt per 40g sprayer with 1 or 2 cups of crossbow for good measure and blackberries 😉

Annnnd still they will come back next couple months!

Just run to local fertilizer co.  Get a 2.5 of any generic un mixed glyphs 

• Like 2

Glyphosate /24d lv6.     Should do it.   

Do a google search for soil sterilization. There are some salts that will last for years and nothing will grow. Might effect trees if they are close by.

I've got a good land rake works driveway fast and well...

But that salt vinger and dawn mix. You see On Facebook works well if you replace salt with glyphosate and vinegar with 2 4d. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, mader656 said:

I've got a good land rake works driveway fast and well...

But that salt vinger and dawn mix. You see On Facebook works well if you replace salt with glyphosate and vinegar with 2 4d. 

x2 the vinegar and dawn doesnt work very well. the days of paraquat are over. Boom next day everything is dead

How long is the driveway?

if it is short enough a sheet of plastic with kill the grass if you have the time.

I try to stagger my driving so that I am always driving on the entire width of the driveway.  10-12 passes over grass is enough to kill it.

Weed burners,   They will come back, but it’s fire so it’s fun

just loss a calcium filled tire there, nothing will grow for years

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

but it’s fire so it’s fun

:lol:

Neighbor punctured one of his rear calcium filleds near my driveway but chose to drive thru my yard to park it until tire shop came.

It grew back the next summer.

Mita been a weak ratio, dunno.

Soak it with waste oil 

4 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Soak it with waste oil 

Used to soak my sloped stone shop driveway with used oil till the passers-by sicked the EPA on me...

• Like 1

One of our dustlayer trucks (county highway dept) blew a hose and flooded a guys garden. So I called the supplier for advice on what to tell him. Pick the veggies now and wash them cause they are going to die. The good news is next year, they will do better than ever:) 

I buy the generic concentrate and mix it 50% higher, I still need to spray 3-4 times a year in the landscape areas.

i

box grader or spray, a harley rake does a great job but is more money

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

Do a google search for soil sterilization. There are some salts that will last for years and nothing will grow. Might effect trees if they are close by.

X2     There are products out there that you can apply every other year that are effective . I need to do my driveways this summer and they will be done till summer of 22. I put glyphosate in the tank as well to get a quick kill cause the primatoll type product {soil sterilizer } is slow to kill. I apply with a little $80 TSC gator sprayer and use the "Troy Dairy" mixing ratio.  No point in keeping those few extra ounces till next year, it will probly freeze and be no good anyhow so dump it in, right Troy.

4 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

X2     There are products out there that you can apply every other year that are effective . I need to do my driveways this summer and they will be done till summer of 22. I put glyphosate in the tank as well to get a quick kill cause the primatoll type product {soil sterilizer } is slow to kill. I apply with a little $80 TSC gator sprayer and use the "Troy Dairy" mixing ratio.  No point in keeping those few extra ounces till next year, it will probly freeze and be no good anyhow so dump it in, right Troy.

Glyphosate is one chemical that doesn’t bother if frozen or not. And for small patches a higher mix is needed even on kochia in fields it is almost recommended to go up to 3 or more arsenal per acre.

I use Horticultural vinegar 27% acid works well.

I have a lot of Creeping Jenny/Charlie in both the driveway and grass.

What will kill this stuff without going postal on the grass.

Can we call this a sidebar without being a highjack?

26 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Crossbow will make most of it disappear for a while, but after 30 years of fighting it at my place, I can say for certain it doesn't eliminate it. You might think it does by mid summer because you won't see any, but next spring it will pop back out.

Probably 25 years ago I had about 25 gallons to much spray left in the tank.   I think just   Atrazine as I was doing preplant corn.

I diluted it with another 50 gallons of water and opened the drain plug and dumped it in the middle of the 1/2 mile long drive way..

Didn't have weeds or grass for years along the drive way. The blade man liked the no weeds to contend with when blading

10 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

X2 on Crossbow. You will probably need to spray every year but it does a good job on Creeping Charlie.

I might add that for control of this or clover or dandelions in my lawn I’ve found fall is the best time to spray. At this time of year they are putting nutrients to the roots rather than to vegetative growth so I think you get a better kill.

a dab of tordon with your roundup works good

my old landlord used a lot of old diesel fuel for weed control in his fence rows