Sign in to follow this  
oleman

Think of the most hated thing on earth and buy it!

The parking meter, have your very own on Purple Wave auction.

GO9749B.JPG

Stupid people! Oh wait, slavery ended!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, oleman said:

The parking meter, have your very own on Purple Wave auction.

GO9749B.JPG

That’s funny! My sister was going through some old family pictures and had something that belonged to my Aunt, who happened to be a meter maid in the forties!

Depends on the town or city parking meters are in how evil they are.

My Wife worked in the office of the J.C.Penney store in downtown Moline, I'll. She had to be there by 7 or 7:30, only 6 longer term parking meters in the city lot next to the store. So they were always gone before my wife got to work. She ended up in the one hour meters every day. And every day about 9 am the meter maid would hang parking meter violations on every car on the lot. Well, Penney's was my first stop on my BIG downtown UPS route, I unloaded about 1/5th my truck there, checked to see where the wife parked and went on my way. About 8:50 I pull back into the lot with my little brown truck and stop by my car, get out and feed the meter and then the Meter Maid gets in my face. "YOU can't put money in that meter!" I said to heck I can't, it's MY car, Run the plates!" Wife went a whole week with no tickets, then back to 5 tickets a week. Till the next time I had that route.  

It's not the meters I dislike, it's the Meter Maids that think we OWE the town half our paycheck to just cast a shadow over a small patch of pavement.

• Like 2

Disclaimer, I HATE stop lights far more than I do parking meters, for the reason listed below.

I can't think of the last time I have been in a town/city big enough to have a parking meter. (Maybe Greeley, CO, or Cheyenne, WY)

I used to just toss the 'ticket' in the trash, but now that certain cities have an ordinance that "failure to pay, results in not being able to renew your license plates or drivers license, I would have to check to see if such applies only to residents of that city/county, or if it applies to those who live outside the town, city, or county.  To be honest, I do not know if meters take coins anymore, or if you have to have an 'app' to feed them, which seems discriminatory to people like me, who neither have, or want internet access on my 'smart' phone.

After some thought, given that downtown areas in most cities and towns are pretty much devoid of business, how many municipalities are still trying to milk revenue from the few people who actually go downtown?

Years ago, maybe back in the late 1960's, a friend an I were at the Alamo, and he happened to bump a meter while parking and the whole thing fell over, scattering coins everywhere, much like the time I won $20 or so out of nickle slot machine. (Cool-Hand Luke had the right idea!)

• Like 2

and then I guess they wonder why their are  big malls with acres of parking, and downtown is drying up.

• Like 1

And they wonder why downtown is dying...no place to park todays larger vehicles...

Billings put in a parking garage that a 3/4 ton with headache rack can't use....

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Disclaimer, I HATE stop lights far more than I do parking meters, for the reason listed below.

I can't think of the last time I have been in a town/city big enough to have a parking meter. (Maybe Greeley, CO, or Cheyenne, WY)

I used to just toss the 'ticket' in the trash, but now that certain cities have an ordinance that "failure to pay, results in not being able to renew your license plates or drivers license, I would have to check to see if such applies only to residents of that city/county, or if it applies to those who live outside the town, city, or county.  To be honest, I do not know if meters take coins anymore, or if you have to have an 'app' to feed them, which seems discriminatory to people like me, who neither have, or want internet access on my 'smart' phone.

After some thought, given that downtown areas in most cities and towns are pretty much devoid of business, how many municipalities are still trying to milk revenue from the few people who actually go downtown?

Years ago, maybe back in the late 1960's, a friend an I were at the Alamo, and he happened to bump a meter while parking and the whole thing fell over, scattering coins everywhere, much like the time I won $20 or so out of nickle slot machine. (Cool-Hand Luke had the right idea!)

I wanted this shot at the Alamo and I had to play dumb kanadian ( not a real push anyway) to get the parking guys to leave me alone.

3AAE73D8-43FA-4134-9740-D9DB9062C756.jpeg

My mind did not go to a parking meter when I read it. I won't say where it went, something about gre.............

• Like 1

In my 40+ years, I've used one once.  It worked.  It's been ~16 years since I've seen one.  So, I don't hate them....