This 186 is on a Big Iron auction July 8. Has a turbo on it, serial number shows it's a 1978 model but has PFC hydraulics. That wasn't available until 1980 or so. Has a mechanical tach and the range lever should be different for a late model right? Unless that's only gear drive. Looks like a Reliance overhaul kit was installed. 😩I guess a tractor this old who knows what's been done to it.

https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/1978InternationalHydro1862WDTractor

Metric front bolster, too

I would say it has a newer front half rolled on to the older rear half. It doesn’t have pfc hydraulics. 

You're right it doesn't. The colored knobs on the hydraulic levers threw me off. Pump is standard and no flow controls. The metric bolster front axle may have been added on, the whole front half looks like it's from an 81 nodel. 

Yeah, I clicked the link and was like, "Where the heck are the flow contorls???????"   If it was a PFC hydro I would watch it closer.  But its not like I need another one anyhow.

The range lever in my 1978 Hydro 186 looks the same. Also mine now has the PFC covers on the Hydraulic levers. This is because they came with the replacement cab we put on it. 

Aside from the color of the levers, what leads you to believe this tractor has the PFC hydraulics?

If it was an 81 model all the 986's and larger had pfc hydraulics. Those are 1981 tri stripe  decaled hoods. 

4 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Metric front bolster, too

How do you tell one from the other?

4 minutes ago, B.B. said:

How do you tell one from the other?

I think the metric bolster is one piece. The older style had the front pivot pin piece bolted to the bolster with 4 bolts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

If it was an 81 model all the 986's and larger had pfc hydraulics. Those are 1981 tri stripe  decaled hoods. 

I figured someone painted it and used the late decals...............but with the metric bolster I don't know?   

That's an odd oil cooler. 

1978internationalhydro1862wdtractor-35.jpg

66 series and earlier wedge lock wheels. Getting fussy now! 

1978internationalhydro1862wdtractor-39.jpg

Maybe a "lets get these parts all cleared up and make a good one then flip it online"....?

Kinda looks like a diesel wipe down repaint.  Missing some tin bolts.  Good tires and some wheel wts, sandenn A/c pump, cab looks ok....but sure feels like a hodge podge.  But if price is low......cheap baler tractor

You know. ....opining more.  Ive never seen a tach like that  by the way.  Is that a late thing?  Wooonder if the doors rusted and someone poped on older ones?  Or swapped a cab?  They really present it pretty good.   Its all ready 2x what it would be locally 

• Like 1

Y'all would die if you saw my 1086. Thx-Ace 

This is my 1086 today. It was being repaired when it got pulled out of the shop and put to work. It wasn't really ready. Thx-Ace 

Photo0071.jpg

• Like 1

Aw c’mon.  Not every body runs IHs that are original or have had a 100 point restoration. 

8D9395C6-3853-424F-8302-F7EFD1173085.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Aw c’mon.  Not every body runs IHs that are original or have had a 100 point restoration. 

8D9395C6-3853-424F-8302-F7EFD1173085.jpeg

Yours looks complete, just needs a good bath!

gearclash, looks like a good tractor to me..................one question though, how in the world do you get in it?  Don't see no step and that door is open???

27 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Yours looks complete, just needs a good bath!

I will give you credit that it is fairly complete and that works, most of the time. Beyond that, pictures sure are deceptive. That thing’s been rednecked and hillbillyed in about every way. And in addition to a bath it could use an engine rebuild, an injector pump rebuild, new clutch, trans work, brake work, 3 point work and lots of leaks fixed. I own it because I needed something this size, and it was IH and cheap.

27 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

gearclash, looks like a good tractor to me..................one question though, how in the world do you get in it?  Don't see no step and that door is open???

The other door . . . the door latches work when they want to. Took the steps off on that side so I could work on the malfunctioning MCV. Was going to get the clutch and dump valve synched before putting the steps back on. Neither got done . . . Oh well. 

21 hours ago, acem said:

Y'all would die if you saw my 1086. Thx-Ace 

Yea, but you didn't piece it together for the sole purpose of mis-representing it for a higher selling price! Thanks to the Mecum Auctions, a lot of junk yard tractors are being sold as "low hour 1 owner" lol! Or the repainted "fully restored". I really don't like that!

I’m not sure if this interior paneling kit and interior marker lamp package was factory or not.....but I’m not changing it anytime soon.  somebody  did a nice job with it, 20+ years ago. 1” foam behind the wood. Probably early Dynamat... image.thumb.jpg.f7d65d2684a668c95784407770d73cbf.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1dbaa07b7ae48233a2d01305a2ab6736.jpg

• Like 1

The they did the side panel “ fender” areas as well. All cut very nicely and wrapped in light gauge angle iron.  Shows that somebody cared anyway.