Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Modular truck bodies

I have been thinking new truck lately, probably won’t do anything till next year anyhow but I have been long thinking I wanted a modular setup with a utility body and a flatbed. Something that if I needed to take a long trip or go on vacation for the weekend or even if I just needed a pickup it would be a fairly easy thing to switch bodies. I’ve seen the kind that go in like a dumpster but I don’t like how high on the frame they sit, anyone have or have seen such a thing? 

Open to ideas, no firm thoughts yet. 

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have been thinking new truck lately, probably won’t do anything till next year anyhow but I have been long thinking I wanted a modular setup with a utility body and a flatbed. Something that if I needed to take a long trip or go on vacation for the weekend or even if I just needed a pickup it would be a fairly easy thing to switch bodies. I’ve seen the kind that go in like a dumpster but I don’t like how high on the frame they sit, anyone have or have seen such a thing? 

Open to ideas, no firm thoughts yet. 

VACATION?

From what?!

• Haha 1

I'm intrigued but I don't know even if it existed how useful it would be. How difficult would it be to change beds? If it took more than 10-15  minutes it probably would not happen too often. 

I saw a flad bed on a F-450 crew cab  looked like a work truck they had the tool boxes on both sides. and had a slide in camper for the recreation trips 

What about a flatbed with 8ft long toolboxes mounted on each side. Could come up with a quick attach system to take them off quick when needed

Balebed with a utility box you grab and load is my dream setup...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tippmann98 said:

What about a flatbed with 8ft long toolboxes mounted on each side. Could come up with a quick attach system to take them off quick when needed

Wouldn’t be enough storage, its astonishing the volume of materials I have to have on a daily basis not just tools but materials, it becomes easier to just carry everything than to try to plan ahead, because it never works. They would be my “personal bed “ with those boxes, I travel heavy

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Balebed with a utility box you grab and load is my dream setup...

I’ve seen something like that but I have discovered how important the tall cabinets are. That would probably work for some, I want a body with a sliding roof so I can slide it back and put tall stuff in, like water heaters and generator stands

Man I dont know.... 2 trucks trumps all. I'm afraid you'll grow tired of swapping around. I know right where your at. I've got an older chevy with a bale bed and another one with a utility bed. One is for feeding the other for farm service. Neither one gets used much in certain times of the year but when it peaks they are worth every penny. I've thought of how to consolidateyself. I just buy more phone chargers.... 

• Haha 1

I just get so bogged down with maintenance, I can’t keep up with it. Some of it is necessary stuff and some of it is toys, but either way, maintaining 3 HD trucks to be long trip ready at a moments notice is expensive and time consuming.  If I could cut it to 2 I’d be time and money ahead.