Rawleigh99

Parts Department rant

19 hours ago, db1486 said:

So sad that it is that way but we do the exact same thing here. Go online and get all the part numbers I need. Pretty much always call first though because the closest dealers are 45 miles away in 3 directions and my luck the first one I go to won't have it lol

You know i often wonder you take people like us that have are ducks in a row can walk in and theres a good chance we wont get what we need, then you take people that walk in ask for a filter for there mower and they don't know the size what exact filter there needing and sometimes even the brand just how do they get anything?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 88power said:

You know i often wonder you take people like us that have are ducks in a row can walk in and theres a good chance we wont get what we need, then you take people that walk in ask for a filter for there mower and they don't know the size what exact filter there needing and sometimes even the brand just how do they get anything?

They probably just put whatever part on, that's given to them.

Or they buy a new machine

Or they take theirs in for service.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to be a partsman these days. In the 70's if you knew the IH line from F series somewhat, then all you had to have knowledge of was the letter series on up to 66 series and most equipment used in your area over the years. You simply just knew exactly what the customer needed, and likely you personally knew his machine. You knew in your head what was needed, and likely everything related to that part that is likely needing replaced at the same time.  So here today, 40+ years later, with mergers, hundreds of more models of everything electronics, laws, liability, etc. there is no way you can have all that knowledge in your head.  A computer is necessary, and you better know how to use it, and you need some mechanical knowledge. I do like the old days..

1 hour ago, 88power said:

It is easy to send someone out with the wrong part!  Much harder to determine the right one and actually have it in stock........

My most recent encounter with salesmen,

Bought a new rechargeable weedeater for wife as it`s light at local Sears garden/Appliance store.

She`s had it less than a year and needed string spools.

She was told, NLA as trimmer discontinued.

She went back another day and second salesman AND the owner both told her NLA after looking on puter.

As she vented to me while I was eating supper, I pulled out my phone and with 4 clicks, Amazon was shipping the spools to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

My most recent encounter with salesmen,

Bought a new rechargeable weedeater for wife as it`s light at local Sears garden/Appliance store.

She`s had it less than a year and needed string spools.

She was told, NLA as trimmer discontinued.

She went back another day and second salesman AND the owner both told her NLA after looking on puter.

As she vented to me while I was eating supper, I pulled out my phone and with 4 clicks, Amazon was shipping the spools to me. 

And that’s why sears is pretty much gone...

• Like 2

Local Cub Cadet dealer only has parts by application.

Went in once to purchase 18 inches of 5/16" fuel line, the guy behind the counter asked what mower is was on.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:31 PM, 88power said:

There is alot of that. Now I'm not knocking all parts guys and parts departments, because there is a lot of good guys we deal with. There is some that will even dig around for a old parts book or do some digging to find what we need. But, there is more than enough that will just take a quick look on the computer and it might be there, but if they dont see it with a quick glance, then nope dont have and cant get. That's what I have a problem with. 

A few years ago dad went in for parts for something, I forget what we were working on. I believe we had ordered the parts in so was just to pick them up. He walks in and a neighbour that always has something to say was walking out. Hardly said hi. Could tell something was not right. Dad asked what he needed. Said a engine oil filter for one of their tractors. But they dont have so not sure where to go. This was a IH 74 series I believe, and at a CIH dealer. Anyway dad said they have to have. That's a common tractor. So they both go in and dad told the parts guy to get the filter for this fellow. Nope dont have. Well I guess they kinda got arguing and the parts manager walked in. Asked what the trouble was. So dad said and he looked to the parts guy and says we gotta have the filter. Parts guy says it's not in the pamphlet with all the filters. Manager says punch the model in the computer. Parts guy starts arguing saying we don't have it. Manager puts in engine model and boom, opens the parts list, gives the guy the number and he comes back with the filter. Dad asked if that was the only one on the shelf. He said no there is a whole case of them. Was not happy at all. Didn't want to give our parts even. Just wont listen or take any advice. But I guess you get that everywhere though. Dad told him he should be thankful there is guys that still come in a buy a overpriced filter and small stuff like that

• Like 1

Went in to a salvage place once for a part on a number series IH, really common engine part. Younger guy behind the counter guddled around on his computer for a while, and began to mutter “I don’t see it any where”.  After this went on for a while the manager happened to come by and asked what was going on. “Can’t find such and such part in the computer”.  Manager strode behind the counter, reached past the parts guy, grabbed a parts book, clumped it on the counter, flipped through it for less than a minute, then stabbed his finger in it and said “Here!!” and walked off. 

52 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Went in to a salvage place once for a part on a number series IH, really common engine part. Younger guy behind the counter guddled around on his computer for a while, and began to mutter “I don’t see it any where”.  After this went on for a while the manager happened to come by and asked what was going on. “Can’t find such and such part in the computer”.😽👿😎😎😯  Manager strode behind the counter, reached past the parts guy, grabbed a parts book, clumped it on the counter, flipped through it for less than a minute, then stabbed his finger in it and said “Here!!” and walked off. 

I told a story similar to that on a John Deere 8300 grain drill seed boot. There are 2 types for a single disc drill. The all almighty computer only shows the later style. You can't interchange them at all. Skippy orders one for me, it comes and its its not the style we have and i tell him that. He gets indignant and pretty much tells me i don't know what im talking about which pissed me off. We start going back and forth when the senior parts guy walks by and overhears the exchange. He grabs a binder off the wall behind him, flips to the page and points to the part we need. Skippy had to swallow his pride there and admit i knew what I was talking about and order the right one. Gasp he could have found the right part if he had gotten off of the computer.

Best part of this is at the time his Grandpa and Dad owned the dealership so no one was going to fire him. He gets promoted to head of the shop. Must be great to be incompetent at your job and get promoted because Grandpa and Dad think you do know wrong. 

The last mix up I got into had to do with poor parts book pictures and organization. Even though there is no book only computer. John Deere Gator 625, plastic wire connector with a relay,female half rubbed until the wire got cut as well as plastic. I had looked and I had found the part that looked the same to me,but took it to dealer. Parts guy knew enough to question my parts number,but could not find anything else that looked better. So had 2 other parts guys look. They could not be sure,went to the shop and got the guy that works on all the Gator stuff.Took 3 of them a hour to figure out what part. But it did fit when it showed up. But the little Gator is not that complex when compared a new tractor. Does not have port to plug the computer into yet. But it sure did not run without that relay in the system.

while i dont agree with the elevated prices of green items I have to give kudos to my local dealer, they have taken care of me several times ( warranty included ) parts, customer service, issues with repairs, take your pick, I can say they have been stellar - I know the sales rep, svc mgr, and tech that works on my stuff and they have all treated me GREAT!! 

Guess I am lucky regarding my green stuff. I have similar regards for the Case IH dealer that works with me on my red stuff. I am blessed with good dealers here. 

We have some decent parts guys at both red and green stores around here and also some bad. My carquest guy almost never misses and has a great inventory which no dealership has at all!!! We have to keep our own parts inventory make our own hoses and do most of the repair on farm equipment or it just plain doesn’t get done!!!!

• Like 1

My local IH dealer has done good for me with parts for 806 a lot of times after finding the part he even asks if I want OEM or aftermarket.  Also I deal with oreilys and NAPA here both places have went out of their looking up or matching odd parts by using computer or old books with good results.

I have no problem with the local JD dealer, they treat me decent even though I spend far less than $50 a year on parts with them, but I also go in when there are no other vehicles parked out front.

The fact that one salesman is from Haxtun, CO, and another had retired from Chevron also is a reason to go in and look at the toys, and ask a question or two about the latest and greatest from Deere, as well as pick up a piece of sales literature.

I retired from the NC dept of Agriculture in February. I was asked to work at the CaseIH dealer. I know the older stuff up to the 8000 series Magnums but the new series is definitely a learning curve. I'll have to admit some of the parts diagrams are not the best. Our O-rings are in a large cabinet as we have hundreds of different O-rings. You have to think outside of the box a lot of times.

• Like 1

I keep a list of all the air, oil, fuel, oil type and spark plugs for all our equipment. Trucks, welders, forklift and momma's lawn mower. When a item is needed I go in the parts house and tell them to get me this part no. and how many. First thing out of their mouth, what car/truck is this for. My reply none of your concern just get me what I asked for. Their reply we need to make sure its the right part. My reply, not your problem get me the parts I asked you for.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Finney said:

I keep a list of all the air, oil, fuel, oil type and spark plugs for all our equipment. Trucks, welders, forklift and momma's lawn mower. When a item is needed I go in the parts house and tell them to get me this part no. and how many. First thing out of their mouth, what car/truck is this for. My reply none of your concern just get me what I asked for. Their reply we need to make sure its the right part. My reply, not your problem get me the parts I asked you for.

Same here. Had them wrote on the wall for years. Got them in my phone now. I am however dyslexic sometimes. Ordered air filters a while back. They sent what I ordered. Looked on my order. Yep that's what I ordered. Looked on the wall. When I put them on my phone I switched 2 numbers around. 

We’re fairly forunste here to have good parts guys at most of the stores. Somemgo above and beyond sometimes to try and get the correct stuff. One versatile dealer went as far as to order belts in overnight for us from a John Deere dealer lol. Same guy ordered a u-joint from his supplier to replace the versatile one we bought from him. He took the versatile tag off and put it on the one he ordered as it was about 1/4 the price.  Johnny Deere guys are pretty decent although honestly we don’t buy a lot of parts there as the John Deere doesn’t usually need much.  The Case Ih and new holland dealers are pretty good as well. There’s always one guy at each dealer that’s really good with the parts so you can always go back to him when there’s trouble finding something or you need to cross over some numbers.  As far as stocking parts most of the dealers have a good inventory. The warehouse for all of the major brands is only 3.5 hours away so you can usually get anything you need overnight. 

On 6/24/2020 at 1:50 PM, RichardDSalyer said:

It is always best not to wear your IH shirt into the John Deere dealership.

As the clerk at Farm and Fleet said once, "I had my "H-I cap" on. What was she thinking? I don't own a cap without IH on it.  The JD parts manager kept wanting to argue with me. Since then I've switched to a C-IH dealer that sells Stihl. I've tried stumping the parts guy and it's absolutely astounding the odd-ball parts they can pull out of their shelves. Like a new old stock Delco-Remy voltage regulator for a #70 12 V Cub Cadet, an R-1 suffix, probably 40 years old for $38, not $100+ like the R-4 latest revision is. They both work. When it came time to buy a new zero turn mower they had the best selection, best pricing, best deal. And I don't get ignorred at the parts counter. They are usually very busy, 3-4 guys helping customers and I still get waited on and get everything on my list.

If the Deere dealer didn't like my I-H cap he should have tried giving me a Deere cap. My old C-IH, Navistar truck, Cub Cadet, and short line dealer slipped a new cap in my bag of parts years ago. Parts guy thought my old cap was dirty beyond washing. I wore that new cap at least 10 years!

With all this said, some of you should try being a parts guy these days..................Especially in the lawn and garden sector, farmers atleast have a good knowledge of what they need, general public doesn't.  I absolutely hated my time I worked in the parts department.  People would either call or come, "We need a belt for our Cub Cadet"..................Ok, what model?   Um, what do you mean?  They are all the same aren't they?   So then you would go into where the model info would be located, and then ask which belt broke.  "There is more than one?"  Etc, Etc..........

Then alot of the time, you worked for dopes like was mentioned above who only had the job because they were family, and did things like buying solenoids from Rotary or Stens and we  would put them into empty MTD bags from the Service department and sell them as OEM.  Same morons would push the OEM parts...............They weren't any better, just they made more money on them.  But every once in awhile someone from john q public would get a better one over on them.  For example, guy came in one time that had a dual stage snowblower for a old Cub Cadet Super GT, needed a ton of drive parts, all his old numbers sub'ed to new ones if I remember right. Anyhow the same troll who did the crap above took the list, wrote the new part numbers on it, got the amount together and it was sky high.  The guy asked if he had to pay upfront, troll told him no, when they come.  Said ok, order it, left his "Phone number", I thought all this was fishy, but when he wanted to know if he could get his list back I knew the game.  Troll gave him his list with the new numbers and out the door he went.  Over the next week, parts came.  I actually got them around, called the number...........disconnected.  I looked some of those parts up online and they were half of what the quote was from the dealer.  I know that guy got one over on them, went home and ordered them online.  Those parts are probably still there on the shelf.  Me and the service guys laughed all winter about that one, someone got one over on the "Vice President"(Title he put on his business card with a 5 person dealership). The day the same troll charged his top service guy who they didn't pay jack squat to, full retail price for a Ariens shear pin that cost the dealership a quarter or so, I started searching for different employment.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

With all this said, some of you should try being a parts guy these days..................Especially in the lawn and garden sector, farmers atleast have a good knowledge of what they need, general public doesn't. 

That's a fact. I spent about 7 years or so behind a Ford auto dealer counter, retail sales were the absolute worst. We'd get calls and walk ins for real off the wall stuff. A fellow wanted me to print him an EXACT copy of the window sticker for his Model T (did they have such a thing then?). Another guy got mad because I "lied" and told him that I couldn't look up a Mercury Marine part number...."Mercury is Mercury!!!!" he said. Lots of folks looking for Ford tractor parts. I won't soon forget the guy that wanted all new bearings for a truck diff and wanted me to personally guarantee that all bearings and such would me USA made. Oh yes, and how could I leave out the gentlemen that had a NOS hubcap for his '80 F-100 that he wanted to return for a full refund...he got so angry he said he was going to write a letter to Ford for not taking back something he bought 30 years ago!

Yes, there are BAD parts guys - but being a parts guy period is no fun! Like TP I sought ought a different career path.

• Like 1

It has been interesting to watch this thread.  I spent about 25 years in parts, about 1/2 at an IH dealership and the rest at a Cat dealer.  At one time or another have been guilty of most of the “newby” sins noted above.  But after a while I began to feel that I was doing business with friends and the fun began.  Lots of good jokes and teasing.
Some observations about the farm and construction business:
)Most customers will tolerate mistakes if you admit what happened and then fix it.  
)Most customers know their machine better than I ever will.
)The parts guys that can only find something in the computer need to learn about other sources of information such as hardware books, o-ring size charts, etc.  In a large parts warehouse this is necessary as the parts are binned according to size and bin trips.  The fastest movers are at the front of the warehouse to save steps when picking orders.
)The new multistore ag dealers should have systems that allow any partsman to place an order at any store from any other store. And then the transportation system to get the part where needed to save the customer a long drive. 
)After my time in the construction industry where most parts business is done over the phone I am amazed that anyone would drive even 25 miles just to see if a part was on hand. Most construction customers have parts books and look up most of their parts. Sounds easy for the partsman until he says “and I need a left hand muffler belt but it is not in the book..can you find it?”
)My Cat “know it all” book was about 4 inches thick. Notes of the hard to find things like full thread puller bolts, liner shims, key part numbers by the number stamped on the key, the arrangement number of a customer’s replacement engine, etc.  Never thought to do that at the IH dealer. 

Brian

• Like 1

99.99% of my customers were no trouble. It's the handful of "prefered" (prefer not to see) customers that could make a day interesting. I said to the other parts guy I worked with for nearly 20 years we should write a book "Tales from behind the counter" about some of the stuff we seen. I seen one of my old customers obituary in the paper saturday. He was a great guy. But I remember him buying a battery on day. He came back an hour or so later saying the battery was no good. I could see he had put the neg cable right over the black plastic cap. I pulled the cap off and said "now try it" He scowled a little bit, grabbed the battery and headed out the door. Seen him many times after that. But never teased him.

I could go on and on. But whenever I put a bearing in anything I think of the time a fella came in with 5-6 steel balls wondering if I had any that size as he had lost a few. I measured one and went over to the boxes that had all the IH steel balls in size from small to large. Nothing was quite the right size. I asked him what he was working on. He pulls out of his pocket the inner and outer races of a ball bearing. It had failed and he wanted to put the steel balls back in it. I should have asked him if he was scared of kryptonite.

Being a good actor was also part of the job. If you looked unconfident then you were in trouble. But if you were to cocky that was also trouble. Had a young fella start by us when it was decided to go with three partsman. Poor actor. A guy i didn't know came in one day and went to the young partsman with a broken oddball wagon spindle wondering if it was something we stocked. i was helping someone else but kept my ear on them. The customer was getting a bit irate in that he couldn't believe in all those bins there wasn't a spindle for him. He was there 10 minutes verbally abusing that young fellow. Just wouldn't accept NO. I calmly went over, asked him the brand(don't remember what it was) looked it over and said "Cambells supply in Rock Rapids is a dealer and stocks them"  He thanked me and headed 25 miles down the road to Cambells.  The young guy says to me after. i didn't know they were a dealer. I said I didn't either. 

• Like 2

Thing too is in the past people often worked in multiple dealership departments, parts guys had mechanical knowledge and might have even worked in service for a time.  Service guys knew the parts end and could pinch hit if things were busy.  Sales guys were often in parts before sales, and maybe before that in service.  When I was hired for parts, the owners(one of which was the troll I mentioned above) didn't even want me, and the head guy in service told them why would you hire someone without the mechanical knowledge and that was how I ended up there, I will never forget the day a customer called up wanting what I found out later to be the inline solenoid fuel cut off for a murphy switch that was on a industrial air compressor with a Yanmar engine(Dealership sold yanmar).  The big cheese talked with them and told them he would look and call them back.  Of-course nothing was in the breakdown for the engine, as it was an application part.  He was going to call them back and tell them he wasn't sure but could order something in the breakdown on the injection pump he thought was right.  I said that it sure sounded like the application had a murphy switch on it and that was what was in the fuel line between the filter and injection pump.  He said if you think you know it all call them back.  Called them back and talked to the mechanic.  I asked him if the engine had a murphy switch setup on it, he said yeah, what did they think I wanted?  I said it is a long story(Couldn't tell him what I really thought of the employers), asked him what numbers were on it and got one coming.  The mechanics helper showed up to pick it up the next day, he said, boy its good someone in this town knows what a murphy switch does, because nobody else does.  If the big cheese got any redder in the face I think he would have popped.  Most guys would have been happy their employee made a happy customer and made the business look good...............not at that place.