Rawleigh99

Parts Department rant

I had a hole in a coolant hose on my old F725 John Deere front mount mower.  I went to the "local" John Deere dealership that had bought up all of the smaller dealerships in this half of the state.  The parts guy ordered a hose he claimed was right.  Three days later the hose was in.  I asked for new clamps at the same time.  They gave me a box with the clamps in it.  The hose was @1 1/8 inch.  The clamp box was bigger but I didn't think anything of it since I had them use boxes to hold miscellaneous parts before instead of bags.  Fortunately when I got to the truck I opened the box.  The clamps were at least for a 3" hose.  I took it back inside and the boy at the counter said those were the correct clamps that the computer crossed them to.  I said you are wrong.  Next thing I know he had a screw driver out and was trying to tighten it down enough for the tiny hose.  I told him to hold on because I wasn't going to accept that!  I told him to just get the right size off the hose clamp rack and I would be on my way.  He informed me that they did not have a hose clamp rack and if it wasn't spec'ed in the computer they didn't have it!!!  I have never heard of a large dealership parts department not having a generic hose clamp rack!  How useless!  And after getting home the hose was wrong!  I made one out of generic fuel line and got back to work!  Parts departments have gotten totally worthless!

• Thanks 1

At least you get waited on. Last Deere parts dept. I walked into I actually thanked the parts Manager when he asked if I had been helped. I told him I thought I turned INVISIBLE. Been there almost half an hour, waited for 4 other customers to get helped and when I was the only one left waiting the one parts guy started aligning the labels on all the spray cans on the shelfs across from the computer terminal.  I only wanted a $300 Stihl leaf blower, In a box, as a gift. I had to go to their other store across town for it.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My cousin grew up with red equipment but now works a ranch for the owner of groendyke transportation and he supplies them with new green machines. He told the parts guys at jd how he grew up and never knew a parts salesman his whole life from our case dealer but he knows every **** one of the jd guys by first name now. He said they were speechless

Hose clamps and o-rings.  At IH we  had all o-rings on a large board in order by part number.  If you wanted a 2 inch o ring for some off the wall application, you went and sized them up.  At Deere, it was what machine is it for as all o rings were scattered around the entire parts dept with computer showing where they were located.  I understand that is the way it is done with most brands now days. 

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

At least you get waited on. Last Deere parts dept. I walked into I actually thanked the parts Manager when he asked if I had been helped. I told him I thought I turned INVISIBLE. Been there almost half an hour, waited for 4 other customers to get helped and when I was the only one left waiting the one parts guy started aligning the labels on all the spray cans on the shelfs across from the computer terminal.  I only wanted a $300 Stihl leaf blower, In a box, as a gift. I had to go to their other store across town for it.

It is always best not to wear your IH shirt into the John Deere dealership.

• Haha 2

Finally got on the phone with someone from our local JD dealership. Anyone wanna guess how much they wanted for a flippin 8 dollar toggle switch?

1 minute ago, IH766 said:

Finally got on the phone with someone from our local JD dealership. Anyone wanna guess how much they wanted for a flippin 8 dollar toggle switch?

it was prob north of 40

1 minute ago, 88power said:

it was prob north of 40

$111 bucks! I asked him if they were on crank, what a joke

Needed a couple O-rings to reseal some fittings on the ol man's 1460 last fall. Just a simple, common ORB -6 seal. After running all over town trying to find some, ended up 20 miles away at the JD dealer! This only has to be the most common size of the most common fluid connection in the USA!

Told the guy at the parts counter what I needed, blank stare, uhhh. Show him the oring, uhhh. Not a clue. I told him, the Cat number is a 3J1907, do you have a cross reference?  Uhhh Um. How about a hose and fitting catalog? Don't you fabricate hoses here? 

I lucked out, a tech working there who I happened to go to high school with walked up to charge something out. He ended up having a couple in a kit in his toolbox.

• Haha 2

i got where i look up the part numbers i need and give them those when i walk up to the counter or call, whats sad is i got a deere dealer 10 mintues from the shop and i go to one 45 minutes away to get anything done

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I had a hole in a coolant hose on my old F725 John Deere front mount mower.  I went to the "local" John Deere dealership that had bought up all of the smaller dealerships in this half of the state.  The parts guy ordered a hose he claimed was right.  Three days later the hose was in.  I asked for new clamps at the same time.  They gave me a box with the clamps in it.  The hose was @1 1/8 inch.  The clamp box was bigger but I didn't think anything of it since I had them use boxes to hold miscellaneous parts before instead of bags.  Fortunately when I got to the truck I opened the box.  The clamps were at least for a 3" hose.  I took it back inside and the boy at the counter said those were the correct clamps that the computer crossed them to.  I said you are wrong.  Next thing I know he had a screw driver out and was trying to tighten it down enough for the tiny hose.  I told him to hold on because I wasn't going to accept that!  I told him to just get the right size off the hose clamp rack and I would be on my way.  He informed me that they did not have a hose clamp rack and if it wasn't spec'ed in the computer they didn't have it!!!  I have never heard of a large dealership parts department not having a generic hose clamp rack!  How useless!  And after getting home the hose was wrong!  I made one out of generic fuel line and got back to work!  Parts departments have gotten totally worthless!

This sounds like every experience I have with my local Deere dealer, who coincidentally also bought all the other local Deere dealers. Their parts availability sucks. They always want to order my parts, THEN expect me to drive an hour and a half round trip to pick them up. I tell them that if I have to wait two days, AND drive to pick it up, AND pay their idiotic green paint premium, I'm going to order it online. I'll get it just as fast, and I'll pay less. The only advantage to a dealership is having it TODAY. They don't seem to get that. They never have anything on hand.

I have no basis for comparison to CIH, because I only buy antique parts and paint from the dealer so naturally everything would need stop be ordered and the paint is on the shelf. For all I know, they could be the same way. Only difference is, my Deere is 65 years newer and there's no excuse.

20 minutes ago, KWRB said:

This sounds like every experience I have with my local Deere dealer, who coincidentally also bought all the other local Deere dealers. Their parts availability sucks. They always want to order my parts, THEN expect me to drive an hour and a half round trip to pick them up. I tell them that if I have to wait two days, AND drive to pick it up, AND pay their idiotic green paint premium, I'm going to order it online. I'll get it just as fast, and I'll pay less. The only advantage to a dealership is having it TODAY. They don't seem to get that. They never have anything on hand.

I have no basis for comparison to CIH, because I only buy antique parts and paint from the dealer so naturally everything would need stop be ordered and the paint is on the shelf. For all I know, they could be the same way. Only difference is, my Deere is 65 years newer and there's no excuse.

I think the idea is you have a crop ready to plant/harvest right now if they don't have the part you may buy or lease something so you got done. The first time I saw that at dealership the owner bragged about how much new stuff he sold when he didn't have parts on hand. That was in the 1973/74 time frame. And it's really bad when you have 100 acres of hay on the ground and it's supposed to rain tomorrow! Or a blizzard moving in and you just have another 50 or so acres of corn to combine. Nothing new really.

Rick 

18 minutes ago, IH766 said:

$111 bucks! I asked him if they were on crank, what a joke

I got burned on something like this once with a relay. Assumed it was a Deere part. Went 45 mins to dealer. Tech didn't have a test procedure to confirm it was bad. Went to parts counter, they only have one, and it's at their store 2 hours away. "We can order it". Meanwhile the machine won't move and it's blocking a vehicle -need it today, and today's Saturday. They closed at noon or something. I want to buy the part and go pick it up outside at the other store. So she knows I'm in a rush and what does she do, answers the phone and gabs with someone else, rather than calling the store about to close. I was not impressed. So, when a different relay went this spring, I started at Napa. Seven mins from the house, and a five dollar part on a peg in the store.😬

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

I think the idea is you have a crop ready to plant/harvest right now if they don't have the part you may buy or lease something so you got done. The first time I saw that at dealership the owner bragged about how much new stuff he sold when he didn't have parts on hand. That was in the 1973/74 time frame. And it's really bad when you have 100 acres of hay on the ground and it's supposed to rain tomorrow! Or a blizzard moving in and you just have another 50 or so acres of corn to combine. Nothing new really.

Rick 

I never thought about that. That's disgusting.

2 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I got burned on something like this once with a relay. Assumed it was a Deere part. Went 45 mins to dealer. Tech didn't have a test procedure to confirm it was bad. Went to parts counter, they only have one, and it's at their store 2 hours away. "We can order it". Meanwhile the machine won't move and it's blocking a vehicle -need it today, and today's Saturday. They closed at noon or something. I want to buy the part and go pick it up outside at the other store. So she knows I'm in a rush and what does she do, answers the phone and gabs with someone else, rather than calling the store about to close. I was not impressed. So, when a different relay went this spring, I started at Napa. Seven mins from the house, and a five dollar part on a peg in the store.😬

Yep its 8 bucks at Princess Auto, I could have understood twenty, even forty bucks fine, but 110 for a simple rocker switch just blew me away

1 minute ago, IH766 said:

Yep its 8 bucks at Princess Auto, I could have understood twenty, even forty bucks fine, but 110 for a simple rocker switch just blew me away

had the same mind bending experience pricing a simple three position toggle for my JD AMT626 (gator). The toggle that raises and lowers the dump box is going bad so I looked up the part number and called the dealer. Not surprising they don't have it but I drive by their place every morning and night going to and from work so I was going to have them order it. Asked them how much thinking $10-15. Nope $48 list price.

While I have no idea how good the switch JD's selling is, I will say, Cat has a series of toggle switches that run $25-35 at employee cost, right around $50 normal. And they are so much better, I will gladly spend the extra money on them. You may be able to buy a china toggle for $5, but once you replace it a 1/2 dozen times you aren't saving anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

It is always best not to wear your IH shirt into the John Deere dealership.

Had one feed company buy another out. The delivery guy showed up wearing  a shirt from company A. I was joking with him about going to someone that did business with company B and didn’t like company A. He smiles and pulls his shirt up, to show me company B’s shirt under company A’s!

3 hours ago, IH766 said:

I needed one for one of our balers last year. Just a  simple on-off-on momentary switch. Through agco I think it was 130. Princess auto was I think 8 bucks or so and I ordered a heavier one off Amazon for $13. I usually don't even check with dealers on stuff like that anymore but I was there for other parts so figured save me running around. Nope I can go quite a ways for 100 bucks lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 88power said:

i got where i look up the part numbers i need and give them those when i walk up to the counter or call, whats sad is i got a deere dealer 10 mintues from the shop and i go to one 45 minutes away to get anything done

So sad that it is that way but we do the exact same thing here. Go online and get all the part numbers I need. Pretty much always call first though because the closest dealers are 45 miles away in 3 directions and my luck the first one I go to won't have it lol

• Like 1

Back in the late 90's Mother Deere decided they no longer wanted 1 store dealerships. Most of the consolidations you guys are talking about are the result of that. A lot of dealers were justifiably unhappy about it, but it was absorb, be absorbed or get out.  I'm in the same situation here. 1 dealer 2 miles away, another 35 miles away. The closer one routinely puts parts calls to the answering machine and it might be 2 days before they call you back, and they have a limited stock. The other dealer always answers and has a much bigger stock. So, I usually end up driving the 70 miles. It's a lot more costly to have a machine down for days than to make an hour and a half trip.

Hard to get any parts people , all the parts stores around I go into have signs help wanted . 

go to advanced auto, you need something generic they need to know what machine it goes on,

5 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Back in the late 90's Mother Deere decided they no longer wanted 1 store dealerships. Most of the consolidations you guys are talking about are the result of that. A lot of dealers were justifiably unhappy about it, but it was absorb, be absorbed or get out.  I'm in the same situation here. 1 dealer 2 miles away, another 35 miles away. The closer one routinely puts parts calls to the answering machine and it might be 2 days before they call you back, and they have a limited stock. The other dealer always answers and has a much bigger stock. So, I usually end up driving the 70 miles. It's a lot more costly to have a machine down for days than to make an hour and a half trip.

The last single store franchise Deere had was in our area. Godfrey's of Jonesville MI. Deere finally forced them out late last summer. The franchise i don't think much of ended up with it. Parts stock has gone downhill but now we really don't have a Choice unless you want to drive a ways. They are doing away with the Hardi franchise which was part of the reason we used the dealer. Bought a new sprayer from them a year ago with them being close for parts if needed so that leaves anything close for us out in the cold.

3 hours ago, pt756 said:

go to advanced auto, you need something generic they need to know what machine it goes on,

theres a one and a million chance of working at any of the ones around here, all the older guys retired or quit and this newer bunch could careless about anything much less a piece of equipment