Sign in to follow this  
2+2love

5488 and weed zapper

1 hour ago, 2+2love said:

Organic food grade soybeans are $30.00

Organic food grade corn is $8.00-$14.00

My dad and i do it because conventional farming is based around poison and death. It kills our soil and humans and animals. Everything dies expected the seed that has been raped by Monsanto. Lol just a few reasons. 

We are a small farm 600 acres and once again its all about profit per acre. 

How do you keep weeds in the spring , cultivate ? I am impressed. You can keep your own seed soybeans and your zapper is only one to three years chemical cost per acre . 

• Like 1

I save and clean my own seed. Been planting the same winter wheat for 30+ years. Also work with a corn breeder and grow some seed corn. 

The zapper paid for its self last year.

Im not saying organic has been easy but we seem to have found a system that works. Having the seed cleaning facility sure makes the whole farm complete.

2 hours ago, 2+2love said:

I save and clean my own seed. Been planting the same winter wheat for 30+ years. Also work with a corn breeder and grow some seed corn. 

The zapper paid for its self last year.

Im not saying organic has been easy but we seem to have found a system that works. Having the seed cleaning facility sure makes the whole farm complete.

So this is interesting. You dont have to answer me here but do you believe this Monsanto/roundup to be true or are you just catching your niche in a market that more of us should probably look into? It's ok either way..  I am even smaller farmer raising corn for my cows. I plant roundup ready corn and just yesterday sprayed the stuff. Do i worry about my health? Sure i do, and I think any farmer that doesnt is a fool. My attitude is we basically need it, so I try my best to avoid contact via cab tractor, wear gloves, wash up frequently etc. I try to make my sprayer to work the where I am not in contact as much as possible. 

Now having said that I have considered buying a cultivator. I think no more than I do I can cultivate earlier on then spray later on to help my weed control better. I applaud you for trying new old things if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

I applaud you on being certified organic for 23 years!  I would love to learn more on how to grow healthy looking crops like in your pictures. Something about it just seems “right”. Don’t get me wrong, I use whatever chemistry is available and commercial fertilizer as much as anyone on lots of acres, but as I get older and hopefully wiser I wonder about raising crops the way they were raised for centuries before. Seems like it would be very rewarding to one’s “farmer” soul. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

but as I get older and hopefully wiser I wonder

I also wonder about a lot of things, that I have took for granted, or never realized that there might be consequences from the way things were done, now that I am older.

• Like 1

Monsanto is the only one winning not the farmer. Seed cost is expensive poison is expensive. Then at harvest the farmer has just a little money left over hopefully enough to do it again next year after the government throws the farmer some money too.

I get it no farmer wants to admit that they are doing the wrong thing. Just wish they would wake up and see the poison system for what it is... DEATH.

We also practice biodynamics any of you guys know what that is?

Look that up. Its crazy stuff that allows you to farm with nature.

In actuality isn’t that what life leads to eventually, death?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

In actuality isn’t that what life leads to eventually, death?

Well yes. I dont need Monsanto to speed it up for me.

I will state this again. I HAUL A LOT OF ORGANIC CROPS! They are my bread and butter. That being said, quite a number of guys got into organic farming thinking they would make a fortune. A good farmer will, but it’s not for the faint of heart! Row crop farming organically takes a LOT of WORK! 
The guys who I deal with are mainly wheat farming and there’s a limited market. Right now we are trying to get bins cleaned out so they have room for this year’s harvest. I wouldn’t want to try to store grain for a year without being able to fumigate for bugs!! Most of them have been able to keep the bugs out! 
I applaud you guys who do the hard work!! I still don’t know that totally organic is the only way to go, but neither is all the chemicals. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I will state this again. I HAUL A LOT OF ORGANIC CROPS! They are my bread and butter. That being said, quite a number of guys got into organic farming thinking they would make a fortune. A good farmer will, but it’s not for the faint of heart! Row crop farming organically takes a LOT of WORK! 
The guys who I deal with are mainly wheat farming and there’s a limited market. Right now we are trying to get bins cleaned out so they have room for this year’s harvest. I wouldn’t want to try to store grain for a year without being able to fumigate for bugs!! Most of them have been able to keep the bugs out! 
I applaud you guys who do the hard work!! I still don’t know that totally organic is the only way to go, but neither is all the chemicals. 

Having seed cleaning equipment helps a lot with storage and sales.

Having fields fail will happen. Crop rotation and trying new things are essential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2+2love said:

Well yes. I dont need Monsanto to speed it up for me.

They won’t speed anything up. They no longer exist. It’s Bayer’s problem now. If you truly caref you would be using new tractors with near zero emissions instead of those old air polluting cancer causing ones.  

Diatomaceous Earth

is an allowable additive to grain for preservation in an organic regime. 

John

• Like 2

Flaming corn the second time. Flaming took care of all small weeds in between the corn.

Zapping early planted beans.

I am very happy with the way all my fields look so far. 

20200628_152206(1).jpg

20200628_111800(1).jpg

20200628_100258(1).jpg

20200628_152148(1).jpg

20200628_152054(1).jpg

20200628_100228_HDR(1).jpg

• Like 4

You have some nice looking crops, thanks for all the pictures. 

• Like 1

A few more pictures. Things are looking good. 

20200705_113208(1).jpg

20200705_113226_HDR(1).jpg

20200704_162442_HDR(1).jpg

20200704_162513_HDR(1).jpg

20200704_162407(1).jpg

20200704_162420_HDR(1).jpg

20200705_113138(1).jpg

20200705_113146_HDR(1).jpg

20200704_162534(1).jpg

20200704_162556_HDR(1).jpg

• Like 3