Looking for RD450 Parts Source

t_rexhi5

Hi, everyone.  I'm new here, so hopefully posting in the correct spot.  My dad has a 1944 KR11 that he has owned since the early 80's.  I put an oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket on it back in the 90's, when every Car Quest or NAPA had the cork kits on the shelf.  I'm finding that, these days, stuff isn't so easy to find when an engine was last built in the early 70's.  The truck is getting to where it is going to need some real TLC in the next few years.  It starts and runs okay and my dad basically just drives in the neighborhood and then back into the garage behind his house, but I'd like to be able to take it to where he could drive it more if he wanted.  He is retiring this month and hopefully would have some more free time to drive it.  It will need some new rubber on the widow-maker split rims and it appears to be leaking oil from every possible area.  It will need a tune-up, oil change, carb cleaning, all that stuff.  Rear main seal will probably be the biggest PITA.  Also interested in a good parts source in case I find some unexpected larger issues once I tear into things.  I have tried eBay, local old timers, the dealer ("What's a Red Diamond 450?"), and internet searches with little luck.

I was able to source ignition parts easily because they all interchange with Chevy stove bolt sixes.  Looking for stuff like gaskets, seals, carb rebuilt kit, and also recommendations of any kind of things to look at/look out for.  I've read in a few places to ditch the governed carb.  

Would gratefully accept any input.  

Thanks for your help.

KR11.jpg

• Like 2

The Navistar dealer at Southland International in Lethbridge, AB is a big time collector and has a sizeable old parts business.  Check out www.oldinternationaltrucks.com.  If they don't list what you need, ask as they have many sources and they will at least know what you're talking about.  And even if they can't help, take a look at his collection on the site.

Nice looking truck! I can see why you want to keep it going.

DWF

16 minutes ago, Howard_P said:

The Navistar dealer at Southland International in Lethbridge, AB is a big time collector and has a sizeable old parts business.  Check out www.oldinternationaltrucks.com.  If they don't list what you need, ask as they have many sources and they will at least know what you're talking about.  And even if they can't help, take a look at his collection on the site.

Thanks!  I will definitely check them out.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You will need to know the serial number of the block when you order gaskets from Olson’s. You may also need a picture of the block with the head. I got a kit mid spring and cost about $600. It was very well labeled and great quality. Mike