TD20B No Clutch Pressure

Leckster

I have an older TD20B I use at my gold mine here in Northern BC and its a vital piece of heavy equipment

When the loader starts it doesn't build any Clutch Pressure and the drive shaft even at full RPM rotates very slowly.

So I've done a lot of the leg work already.

- Checked for leaks everything is good no leaks

-Checked Filters new filter and cleaned the suction filter (a tiny bit of brass filings but nothing that would cause me worry)

I can't get the fluid from the rear frame into the suction filter and then to feed the torque converter, I've tried everything from checking for a blocked line to even trying to prime the system myself with no success.

When I tried priming from the suction filter into the torque converter it did push the fluid though.

A few questions are if the HI Low range selector isn't engaged would that cause the system not to build clutch pressure?

Could I be looking at a new charge pump and if I remove it is there a way to tell if its bad or not?

Your suction hose could have a pin hole and you could be sucking air. I don't think the range selector would have any thing to do with it.

DWF

Here are a couple threads related to your problem.  For your reading pleasure.  Good luck with your issues.  The hi /lo selector has nothing to do with the pressure.  It is only a sliding gear.  Could be the pump but I would eliminate everything else first.  Did the pressure disappear all at once or over a period of time.  Pumps don't usually quit all at once unless they quit turning.  Dennis

IH TD-20 Dozer (Torque Converter Looses Prime

TD-20 dozer STILL won't move - here is what I found out

guess the links didn't work.  The second one, most informative, is back on page 3

1 hour ago, DWF said:

Your suction hose could have a pin hole and you could be sucking air. I don't think the range selector would have any thing to do with it.

DWF

We checked all the hoses there's no leaks as far as we can find,

It was very odd how it happened last fall when I shut down it was working fine when I arrived this summer it took quite awhile for the clutch pressure to engage but I just accounted it to sitting all winter and took time for pressurize the system and the next few times after that starting up took a bit of time for it pressure up.   Then when I went to do some light work it worked good but noticed that I didn't have the pushing power I normally have and when I shut down the machine and restarted it to run again about 20min later I have no pressure as hasn't come back since.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for everyone.

replaced the charge pump fired her back up today, sadly still no clutch pressure.

going to go through all the lines again looking for leaks and might see if the return line is plugged there might be a build up of hard sludge and could explain the odd symptoms I had before it stopped running.

it was odd all last summer no issues and get here this summer and it’s having a hard time it’s first few days building pressure and then when It was last running I shut it down on a bit of a slope and wouldn’t build pressure up after that.

Anyways when I have another break from slucing I’ll get my hands dirty again

So I’m down to 2 conclusions.

Last year I developed a leak coming from the starter it was hydraulic fluid coming from the transmission.  I know this isn’t normal and could be a symptom of a bell housing to torque converter problem either a seal or a cracked housing.  But never experienced any issues other then the leak.

2nd conclusion there is a suction leak somewhere and I need to track it down.  I really hope this is it because I really don’t want to pull a torque converter I’m pretty mechanical but need more time 

Archived