Hydraulic oil leaking into clutch on IH 504

I have a IH 504 that has started leaking hydraulic oil into the clutch.  I am assuming that there is a seal somewhere that needs replacing, but I'm having trouble finding how to get to it.  I have split the tractor at the front of transmission.  Do I also have to split it at the back or can I that the top off to get to the seal?  This is a non torque amplified tractor.

I guess I didn't explain which seal I am needing to replace.  If you look at the transmission parts diagram, #11 and #13 are the seals that I think I need to replace.

My problem is the center compartment is filling up with oil and letting the oil run down the drive shaft and leak out into the clutch. I have the tractor split right now to replace the #3 seals but don't know the easiest way to get not the other seals to replace them.  Do I need to split the tractor into 3 pieces or can I get to the #11 and #13 seals by taking the top plate off the transmission?

59 minutes ago, TGFAIN said:

I guess I didn't explain which seal I am needing to replace.  If you look at the transmission parts diagram, #11 and #13 are the seals that I think I need to replace.

My problem is the center compartment is filling up with oil and letting the oil run down the drive shaft and leak out into the clutch. I have the tractor split right now to replace the #3 seals but don't know the easiest way to get not the other seals to replace them.  Do I need to split the tractor into 3 pieces or can I get to the #11 and #13 seals by taking the top plate off the transmission?

No, you still are not explaining yourself very well.  Does this tractor have a T/A?  Is the oil leaking into the T/A housing and onto the T/A clutch? Maybe post a picture.  To replace the seals you are talking about you have to take the transmission apart.  You can't just access it through the top and change it out. Pictures would really be helpful.......  you are not making any sense. 

• Sad 1

You split at transmission, On the no T/A models seal 11 is the same one used on T/A tractors but the transmission input shaft retainer goes in the seal instead of the T/A unit. 11 seals OD of retainer. Seal 13 keeps the oil from passing the input shaft on ID of input shaft retainer. Rear seal number 3 can also let oil into the compartment used for a t/a clutch when equipped. Was thinking the compartment should have a drain hole for oil to get out when leaking. But seal 13 or 11 could let oil get on clutch shaft and follow it forward.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TGFAIN said:

Ok, thanks.  I'll split it at the transmission and go from there.

So, where is your oil leak at??  On the engine clutch, or the T/A clutch?? 

If the front seals are holding, no way the rear ones are leaking and it is running down the input shaft onto the engine clutch. It would be filling up the T/A housing, which as mentioned should leak out, but not onto the clutch. 

7 hours ago, J-Mech said:

So, where is your oil leak at??  On the engine clutch, or the T/A clutch?? 

If the front seals are holding, no way the rear ones are leaking and it is running down the input shaft onto the engine clutch. It would be filling up the T/A housing, which as mentioned should leak out, but not onto the clutch. 

In his first post he stated no T/A in tractor. If IPTO and factory no T/A oil can cling to  shaft from clutch to transmission input shaft and pass through the hollow PTO drive shaft.

2 hours ago, DWV said:

In his first post he stated no T/A in tractor. If IPTO and factory no T/A oil can cling to  shaft from clutch to transmission input shaft and pass through the hollow PTO drive shaft.

I missed it was non t/a tractor. 

How can oil cling to the shafts and make it past the front seal?? T/A delete still has seals up front. 

3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

I missed it was non t/a tractor. 

How can oil cling to the shafts and make it past the front seal?? T/A delete still has seals up front. 

Piece that goes in back of center housing  that replaces the T/A  seals like a T/A unit.  Big seal on outside of T/A replacement housing seals the od with another seal for input shaft near same place as a T/A input shaft.  Drive shaft goes from there through what is supposed to be dry T/A clutch compartment even though not used.  Independent PTO drive gear and shaft has seals on the OD at front and rear and transmission drive shaft passes through it to clutch with no seal between PTO shaft and clutch shaft.  If T/A clutch compartment fills with oil or  or it leaks enough at trans input  oil can make it to main clutch area.  T/A tractor also has the clutch shaft passing through hollow PTO shaft from pressure plate  with no seal.  

• Thanks 1