Sign in to follow this  
dannyredfan

8315 discbine?

Who built the 8315 discbine?  
whats the good and bad on them?    
 Kinda late cause I already bought it just wandering  

pictures later

Decent mower built by hesston. The only problem I had was it didn’t like short grass very well. Pretty tough machine though. 

• Like 2

X2 we had a case and hesston version of these mowers . Worst problem we had was conditioner roll bearings. Ours had seen many acres 

• Like 1

My brother is still running an 8312.... he's had it over 21 years now.. very tough machine

Good. Think we did ok.  Kinda big around hear but the center pivot  helps. Screenshot_20200621-212943_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8dac5d63ca75301a3986bc0bb3b760d0.jpgScreenshot_20200621-212952_Gallery.thumb.jpg.331cdaee6fb66f490f9ac2eb7a3fa297.jpgScreenshot_20200621-213028_Gallery.thumb.jpg.20e0f32a1ee76ddc446b8c9602236c33.jpghad to screen shot some pictures 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Norton1256 said:

My brother is still running an 8312.... he's had it over 21 years now.. very tough machine

We let our 8312 go 5 years ago after 22 years of mowing.  Guy stills using it on cruddy pasture land.   Yep they were Hesston and new MF models are realllly similar.

8315 is same but width.  The con bearings are kinda weak (we now have a 09 + 14 Massey (Hesston) ones) so keep one on hand, they are a B to replace.  Esp drive side ones.  We snip 3/4-1" off end of shaft to make it easier to remove.  Keep it clean under the deck or the top cutter area tin rust.  To help with soft/short/drier cuttings 99% of them locally (SPMC or pull) have the curtain trimmed 6" shorter.  Dealer even does it.  Keeps the wind down under deck so it wont blow grass over.  Also in thin stuff throttle back....like spin at 850 pto or on a old IH 2000 engine.  It really makes a difference.  Grease every cutting, esp u-joints.  Keep main drive belt TIGHT, it will alleviate a lot of issues and them belts are like $200.  I dont have #s but if you look around there are heavier bearing plates for them conditioner bearings.   IIRC we got them at Applied Tech locally.  The SP models have a 2" shaft and you can get a cast iron housing.  Local mower guy said never replaced a bearing after putting them on.  Limits the wiggle and vibrations.   But we have not found a cast for 1.75 shaft on the tow along models.  Change oil seasonally....we have never had a gear box issue and do all 4 boxes and the cutter bar every year.  REPLACE the cutter bar drain and fill plug every season!  Makes you much less likely to sin in the following season when that hex head is wore from grass and moisture and it strips out.  Trust me.....  

Go and make a 7'x3' fram of lighter sq tube and buy a 1/4-3/8" plexiglass and build a rock shield for the tractor b/c they throw rock.  100% guarantee you will at some point break your head.  They spin at 180 mph and that's nearly a bullet when it a marble sized rock.  Be easy to make mount off fenders....well worht the time.  Our 3 are all Quick attach we designed and the new to us Magnum 210 we got a Tractorguard.com back window shield.  Same price as new window and sticks on easy and pulls off easy to boot.  So far really like it.

GOOD machines...... few idiosyncrasies, like having to tear all the main drive off to replace the belt and how to do that drive side conditioner bearing.  Like 10 minutes more thought and the engineers would of seen the issues with servicing those areas.   And the curtain trimming.  I'd rec setting feet/skids lower and tip deck fwd a few degrees.  Seem to cut better.  Also there are 3 styles of knives.  Softer grasses the 'high pitch' ones are better imho.  Looks clean in pics!  With that hp it will last for years... we ran a 7140 for years (tooooo much) and out MX170 is set to 170 and it perfect.

• Like 1

Got a 8315 had some issues with out side turtle miss my 8312 8315 takes a lot more power has to be flat for 806 to pull it in high 3

• Like 1

I bought an 8312 late last fall and have got some guidance from this forum regarding it.  So far so good for me.  I have about 125 to 135 acres through mine.  I am not really an expert on anything but will say mine doesnt seem to like short grass either.  I am guessing it create so much wind at the cutter bar that a bit of short or thin crop can lay over and go under the cutterbar.  

Is the 8315 a 15ft machine?  I cant imagine going down the road with it if it is.  Also really like the 2pt hitch.  I see the new ones at the dealer have a unique draw bar hitch with the same gearbox set up as the 2pt hitch ones like yours.  Also center pivot is awesome for getting around obstacles, tight areas, etc.

• Like 1

Troy must have been hitting send while i was typing.  

I wondered about your open station tractor and rocks too.  It hasnt happened to me yet but there are enough stories out there that it is clearly a risk.

Other thing I will say is be careful if you have hills.  Twice I have had the mower slide down the hill on me.  First was when the grass was frosted in the fall.  The second was when the grass was really wet this spring.  I could see the potential to have a mower push or pull a smaller tractor around.

2 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Troy must have been hitting send while i was typing.  

I wondered about your open station tractor and rocks too.  It hasnt happened to me yet but there are enough stories out there that it is clearly a risk.

Other thing I will say is be careful if you have hills.  Twice I have had the mower slide down the hill on me.  First was when the grass was frosted in the fall.  The second was when the grass was really wet this spring.  I could see the potential to have a mower push or pull a smaller tractor around.

lol!

We have hot had a sickle type cutter since the very early 80s.  Like I cannot recall one.  We have moles and gravely spots and a disc just keeps going.  BUT we cut 1000s of acres with a Vicon KM281 and a 684 swept back.  Not enough hp but that mower was tough.  On the top 50 acres we would cut in morning with dew (our dad asap after morning milking) to help 'stick' the rocks in the wet grass.  I'd wear a hooded sweatshirt on a 90* day and not ever look back on those fields for fear of a rock.  The hood made it hurt...less.  At least it would not bleed....  I cant believe we never lost a eye frankly.  The 8312 def threw rocks more than the Vicon.  Speed?  Vicon had 3 knifes a disc.   1st day with the 210 i had some violent hits on side window ($1400) so I am ordering a tractorguard for it asap.  And blew out a frikin mirror.  Whats the chance of hitting that?

I would suggest trimming that curtain 6" and throttling back.  It really makes a difference.  Or even jimming something to hook the curtain up and forward some to get that air movement out of there.  The Massey spmc are king here.  I will admit that triple sets from Claas are taking over though.  On this new seeding I slipped the belt Wed.  I didnt wanna damage the mower on the 1st field of 200 acres so I called friend with Claas 3 set.  He has flails we have rollers.  MAN his rows were at LEAST 15% more wet.  Even thought they we 11' swipes vs my 15'.  We raked 3 of mine into 1 and 4 of his and it was so heavy in trucks you could feel it.      

I have it on the 5488 now but haven't got to use it. Hopefully this week.       It is pretty flat and very few rocks  but it was definitely the tail waging the dog lol. With the 806. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

it was definitely the tail waging the dog lol. With the 806. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking when I seen the pictures!

I have an 8312 on my 7120 magnum, it is a perfect match.

One year I put my 986 on it because we were still doing manure with the 7120, The 986 was really struggling in the heavy alfalfa at 13 mph! And when turning at the headlands you really had to slow down otherwise it would really push the rear end of the tractor around!
 They are a great machine for sure as long as the maintenance was done you should have no trouble with them. 

10 hours ago, bitty said:

X2 we had a case and hesston version of these mowers . Worst problem we had was conditioner roll bearings. Ours had seen many acres 

When equipment reliability engineers present to management there conclusions  ,they will say “ But there are guys like Bitty Out their that make us look like fools with that cheaper design “ Management won’t listen cause your so far out on the reliability curve Bitty ! 😂

Crable to Grave 5000 hours ,were only here because,  to sell  machines , We don’t sell we don’t survive 😂 Go back and design it 5000 hours no more