what are the options for a sloppy arm on the heavy duty axle?  405460R1 is the part number.  Would the undersized 531249 work even though it looks “blocky” compared to the original.  The product descriptions of aftermarket are vague at best.

Most of the aftermarket steering arms are the square, blocky style for an 86 series.  Several years ago, I ordered the original IH steering arms from CaseIH for my 1456, but I also replaced the axle knees & spindles at the same time...

I’ve found that the spindles usually seem to be worn more than the arms.   The square blocky style is all you can get for aftermarket arms.  

I've rarely seen a tractor where replacing the arm fixed the problem, its usually both the arm and the knee.   20 years ago, we had the same issue on a 1486.  Our IH tech told us "weld it".  We replaced the bushing and thrust washers so they were new, then assembled the old knee and arm, and welded both knee and arm to the nut with 7018 rod.   Haven't touched it since.  If it doesn't work, or breaks in the future, cut the welds and buy new.   You are literally not out anything....as you would have replaced those 2 parts anyway. 

• Like 2

The aftermarket undersize steering arms usually get tight enough to have to drive down the last little bit and take most all of the play out from what I've seen. 

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

The aftermarket undersize steering arms usually get tight enough to have to drive down the last little bit and take most all of the play out from what I've seen. 

I think that is what I will try.  For 38 dollars delivered, it is worth a shot.  I can always weld that one on if I need to.  The one coming off is so loose that I can move the tie rod end up and down over an inch.

Thanks to everyone for the input.  It is nice to here individual experiences.

As a follow up.... I put the undersized arm on today.  Had to drive it on with a big hammer just to get the nut started.  It seemed very adequately tight.  I had to jerk the 2 foot handle on the ratchet the whole way down.  The blocky style looks a little weird compared to the original, but you can only look at one side at a time anyhow.

4 minutes ago, Vinny407 said:

As a follow up.... I put the undersized arm on today.  Had to drive it on with a big hammer just to get the nut started.  It seemed very adequately tight.  I had to jerk the 2 foot handle on the ratchet the whole way down.  The blocky style looks a little weird compared to the original, but you can only look at one side at a time anyhow.

The undersized ones I have put on were also tapered. I put an oversized deep impact socket over the treads on top of the new arm and drive it on with a sledge hammer. One time had it off 1 spline :huh: was a lot of fun getting it back off