Sign in to follow this  
Art From Coleman

What Are The Secret Ingredients In Well's Blue Bunny Ice Cream

That, #1 keeps it from freezing hard, even though every thing else in the freezer is frozen, AND, #2 gives it a shelf life (best used by date of over 8 months in the future)? On this particular carton of Pistachio Almond--1/26/2021, and it has been in the freezer at least six months since I purchased it.

10 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

That, #1 keeps it from freezing hard, even though every thing else in the freezer is frozen, AND, #2 gives it a shelf life (best used by date of over 8 months in the future)? On this particular carton of Pistachio Almond--1/26/2021, and it has been in the freezer at least six months since I purchased it.

Answer to number one (1) is to eat the ice cream as soon as package is home from the store!

Answer to number two (2) is same as number one (1).

• Like 1

I would not ask too many questions about the “secret ingredients” in anything with a bunny on the label containing chunks of anything. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Does it have this on the label; https://images.app.goo.gl/TBrsuEyAMXboVaUr7

• Haha 1

Maybe something to do with this...?? Stays good forever due to serious anti bacterial stuff...??

Wells Enterprises of Iowa is voluntarily recalling two lots of Blue Bunny Hoppin' Holidoodle Ice Cream because it contains snickerdoodle cookie dough pieces that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria. ... No other Blue Bunnyproducts are recalled. If you purchased this product, do not eat it.Oct 11, 2016

1 hour ago, TomH said:

Maybe something to do with this...?? Stays good forever due to serious anti bacterial stuff...??

Wells Enterprises of Iowa is voluntarily recalling two lots of Blue Bunny Hoppin' Holidoodle Ice Cream because it contains snickerdoodle cookie dough pieces that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria. ... No other Blue Bunnyproducts are recalled. If you purchased this product, do not eat it.Oct 11, 2016

Bahhh, fake news.. where’s the spoon! 

• Haha 3

"What began in 1913 as a small milk company, with the initial investment of $250, has grown to become the second largest producer of ice cream in the nation. Wells supplies Iowa-based companies Hy-Vee, Fareway, Kum & Go, Casey's and a large number of independent grocers, as well as companies based outside the state."

8 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

"What began in 1913 as a small milk company, with the initial investment of $250, has grown to become the second largest producer of ice cream in the nation. Wells supplies Iowa-based companies Hy-Vee, Fareway, Kum & Go, Casey's and a large number of independent grocers, as well as companies based outside the state."

I should know this, but Who's the biggest ice cream maker now in the US?  Still Good Humor/Unilever?

Anybody who'd been around the Quad-Cities, Moline, Rock Island, East Moline, Silvis, Illinois, and Davenport & Bettendorf, Iowa agree the BEST malts and shakes are from Country Style in Moline, and Whitey's Ice Cream at any of their locations.  So I ask the Sales Manager of the largest ice cream making machine company in the US why Whitey's doesn't have ANY of our equipment. His response was, "WHO?".  I asked his replacement, and I got a ten minute explanation about how our equipment was WAY too big for Whitey's. They still use batch equipment, normally buying used equipment and rebuilding it. Our machines made 400, 600, 800 gallons per hour per barrel, and machines were available in 1,2,&3 barrels.  Imagine, 2400 gallons of ice cream per hour. Those are the machines Wells, Unilever, and Ben & Jerry's use.

I read an article about Wells in La Mars, Iowa several years ago, they have the largest refrigerated building in the USA, full of ice cream. Well, mostly full.

• Like 1

Sugar. If you don’t use sugar making ice cream it gets rock hard. 

• Like 1

I thought it was gelatin  or something like that   

FYI,  while on the subject of ice cream , 

The University of Nebraska has an area on east  campus where they do scientific research with dairy products. They make cheese and ice cream and it’s also for sale right there on sight.  

A little known fact is that they developed a Cholesterol free ice cream and sold the recipe to Blue Bunny . 

On most evenings during the summer months there is a line all the way outside to get their products. 

Its a great place . 

• Like 2

The secret is it's made in God's country!  The plant is 10 miles from me.  The ice cream parlor is a great place to go if you're in the neighborhood.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

The University of Nebraska has an area on east  campus where they do scientific research with dairy products. They make cheese and ice cream and it’s also for sale right there on sight.  

I guess SDSU is somewhat that way too.

The secret ingredients are government mind controls. They prevent hardening and give it longer shelf life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Michigan State University has a Fantastic "Dairy Store" on campus,     Huge selection of flavors,    MSU's Dairy farm supplies the milk,   Small tours are available by request. This "Dairy Bar" at the "MSU" campus has a beautiful building, and long lines of people waiting around the block, wanting Ice Cream. 

Michigan has many small "Ice Cream" producers through out the State,  Strawberry,  Raspberry,  Blueberry,  Black Cherry seasons,  are examples of the best locally produced flavors!!     Mackinaw city Fudge is found at most ice cream parlors in Michigan.

June is   " Dairy Month"   many of our churches have "Ice Cream" socials to celebrate the Successful Dairy Industry in Michigan.

I Have seen a Small selection of "Blue Bunny" ice cream at a few stores,    But I haven't purchased any.

Jim Droscha

Down south we eat blue bell ice cream.

If you haven't tried it your missing out.

Blue bell is only sold regionally but tops the market where it is sold.

Thx-Ace

My wife loves Blue Bunny Peanut Butter Party and has eaten it for years.  I find it hard as a rock. Much harder than Breyers which I usually eat.   I don'rt know what happened to yours Art.