Sign in to follow this  
RBootsMI

Brother had a close call

My brother was headed over to some property we own on the highway near us to mow. There wasn't much traffic for being a Saturday night, so he pulled out on the shoulder of the highway and headed down there, about a 1/4 of a mile south of the road he turned off of, but on the other side of the highway. Had a couple cars go by, then the other lane was open so he went over the passing lane to the shoulder on the other side, but couldn't get over all the way due to delineator posts on the edge that he had to go around. He had noticed a car quite a ways back passing another, but it was a long ways back, and had plenty of time to get over. He saw it coming up fast in the passing lane but was going around a culvert and delineator on the shoulder so he was on the passing lane about 2', almost ready to turn into the crossover to head across to the driveway, no one in the slow/driving lane. He saw the guy was going to hit him but couldn't get over due to the drop off the culvert created. The guy hit the right rear of the mower at near 70 mph. The lady he had passed before he hit my brother said she was doing 65 and he was going a good clip faster than that and never hit his brakes when he hit him. He's real lucky he didn't make contact with the mower as it came up or get thrown off or rolled over. The guy skidded past my brother and ended up down in the median. He was holding his neck and acting like it hurt. His air bag didn't go off, but it wiped the front off his little sh!tbox car. My brother was ok luckily, spun the tractor right around so it was fully blocking one lane and almost into the other lane. He had 2 smv signs, one on his mower and one on the tractor, but I have a feeling the way the guy was acting that my brother will soon be involved in a lawsuit. He told the lady that witnessed it "what was he even doing out here, he isn't supposed to be out here with a tractor!" It is NOT a limited access highway. She was a nearby farm type girl and told him that he had just as much right to have that tractor out there as he did his car, real nice lady. Once the cops were done I used the trusty 826 with my heavy duty boom to lift the mower off the tractor and drag the mower across to our property, my brother was able to start and drive the Oliver over there and leave it, he didn't want to drive it back home, he was pretty shook up. I sure was glad my twin brother was ok, he was glad the 77 wasn't damaged more than the hitch being broken off, the seat, fender and 3 point being bent, it used to be my grandpa's tractor that my brother bought after he passed away. He was very lucky

20200620_172533.jpg

20200620_172553(0).jpg

20200620_173105.jpg

20200621_014543.jpg

• Sad 9

Very glad your brother was not hurt. I can't imagine how fast all that happened.

We had a close call with a baler behind a tractor the other night by Broken Bow. He had no rear lights and we were meeting another car. I saw baler just in time for my driver to lock up brakes and we didn't hit.

It is that time of the year and hope everyone drives with a little more caution and awareness.

127 around St Johns?

• Thanks 1

Wow, glad he wasn’t hurt, that could have been a whole lot worse. I can’t imagine any court finding him at fault, not getting hit in the rear in farm country.

I have family in St Johns and I lived then when I was an intern. Those roads are flat and straight and people friggin rip on them. I'm so happy your brother is okay. When moments like this happen, it's a reminder that we must be here for a purpose of some kind, even if we don't know what it is yet.

sure glad it wasn't worse for your brother. Hopefully, any judge that gets involved will throw the book at the car driver, and make him pay for damages and a stiff fine too.  Good thing there was a witness.

I sure would have needed to change  my shorts and pants after that . Have had a couple close call hauling wagons.  Glad your brother is only shook up. Could have easily been much worse.

In 20 years of investigating accidents, I never seen an accident that was due to mechanical issues.

All were driver errors.

I gave passes on driver error to deer, and other critters hit.

Too many people drive DWHUA. (Driving with hear up A$$)

Glad no one was hurt. It could have been nasty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

127 around St Johns?

US 27 10 miles north of St. Johns, the "non freeway" portion where people still drive 75 mph through here 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

US 27 10 miles north of St. Johns, the "non freeway" portion where people still drive 75 mph through here 

That's what I thought. Glad he's okay 

That stretch is problematic on the speeding and everyone treating it like a interstate even though there are crossroads, businesses and homes on it, isn't it? Its pretty much expressway from just South of Jackson to that stretch then turns back into expressway.

Glad your brother is ok. That was close. You just never know if drivers are paying any attention...

Your brother is the one who should be holding his neck.

glad he is ok, before the pictures I was thinking a discbine or something larger. he was real lucky.

I always worry about that same thing mowing our road ditches. We live on a blacktop county road with a 30 MPH speed limit , which apparently is only a suggested speed because a lot of them run through here at 50 MPH or better. Glad no one was hurt, and yes you are probably right about the lawyers.

Your brother is a lucky man. Hope the guy who hit him gets what he deserves and has to pay for the damages that he caused from not paying attention. 

24 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I always worry about that same thing mowing our road ditches. We live on a blacktop county road with a 30 MPH speed limit , which apparently is only a suggested speed because a lot of them run through here at 50 MPH or better. Glad no one was hurt, and yes you are probably right about the lawyers.

Had many close calls on mine right in front of my house. There's a hill north of the drive. Plenty of room to stop. One day after nearly getting hit I decided to go 10 over speed limit till I could see my drive. No traffic around me. Was able to come to a complete stop probably 100' before I got to it. Problem is they pop over the hill and their looking at their phone and not the road. Have seen it too many times. I have to cross with pick up and 37' trailer and also with loader tractor map not like I can just get across real quick. I try to wait for lower tragic times if I gotta cross much. 

Texas really has a problem with a high speed limit on back roads with no controlled access. Majority of drivers believe that the 70 MPH speed limit is the recommended speed to drive at. Around a corner and over a hill and the driver discovers a combine going at combine speed or a herd of long horns looking for better grass, another Ford Superduty done gone and possibly the driver too!

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

That's why I hate to see county roads wind up paved. I guess almost all of yours are in Franklin county. If they wouldn't pave them and left potholes, rock ledges and washboard like ours they wouldn't go that fast. 

I feel for all you members in this subject, we live right at the border on farm roads, I slow down and give berth to machines, walkers, bikes, but the one I’m really in slow wide berth mode is horse and riders, the people living in the area all do the same but the odd commuting moron does not, I keep it slower a little longer when the boobs tail up on me, one thing I learned about tailgating they aren’t going to hit you so snubbing a brake check isn’t needed and I’ve been given the finger by better peeps than them.

49 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

That's why I hate to see county roads wind up paved. I guess almost all of yours are in Franklin county. If they wouldn't pave them and left potholes, rock ledges and washboard like ours they wouldn't go that fast. 

Not necessarially so, one thing you learn is to stay as far to the right as you possibly can when going up a hill, if you don't want to get popped by someone coming from the other direction, as most will drive in the center on rural roads whether they paved or not.

Thanks for all the comments guys, he was very lucky. Whether or not the driver was looking at his phone or not, we all know it's a huge problem, and that they have the technology now days with newer cars that could jam a phone once it's moved out of PARK, but they won't do it. Annoying electronic gadgets are what sells probably 75% of new cars, stuff they can fiddle with while driving.

11 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

That's what I thought. Glad he's okay 

That stretch is problematic on the speeding and everyone treating it like a interstate even though there are crossroads, businesses and homes on it, isn't it? Its pretty much expressway from just South of Jackson to that stretch then turns back into expressway.

Yes, it's a huge problem. Houses, businesses, properties such as ours along there, and people driving 75 mph. We have to plan when we move our stuff to farm that property on the highway. You won't even be able to cross the highway at all on a Thursday or Friday night due to the northbound traffic, and then again on Sunday night you'll never get across due to the southbound traffic. The river throws a problem into here as well, the only 2 other bridges near here aside from the highway are off from my road. So if we absolutely have to get to dad's home  farm 5 miles from here, I have to head west and then north 3 miles to cross on the overpass of M57 over US27, but then the next nearest river crossing is 6 miles east and then 5 miles south to get to the farm 5 miles away. Trying to cross the highway with all the weekend warriors heading up north or back home is suicide, they're just moving too fast.