Sign in to follow this  
INTERNATIONAL 1466

Steps for open station 66

Never was real fond of the factory steps on an open station. They are kinda far back for dismounting forward. We moved them forward and that helped, but not my favorite. Don't like any of the aftermarket steps either. None of them are built tough enough. I am a big guy and I do not like a step that moves when I stand on it. The boys and I built these for two of our 1466's now. They do not move at all when you use them. Getting off going forward works well as we have the bottom step out from under the top one. Was a little trial and error to get them the way we liked. Not a lot of room with 20.8's set on 30 inch rows. We really like them so far. Buddy said we should have done three steps, but I don't like that look and we are all tall so two steps is good. We have the spaces even between the platform to the top step and top step to the bottom one. A few pictures of our creation.

KIMG1618.jpg

KIMG1619.jpg

KIMG1620.jpg

KIMG1624.jpg

KIMG1622.jpg

• Like 20

That’s great, nice work. How did you cut the aka teeth on them ?

Look nice to me, I always thought the factory ones were death traps.  Everyone locally makes fun of mine that I built years ago for an Oliver, modified them to go on a red one.  Nice grinding feed and I don't worry about sliding off the factory ones. I don't turn around either going down.

404754728_Painted14561.JPG.c36dfd2a22e43043472f3420235beb8f.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

That’s great, nice work. How did you cut the aka teeth on them ?

Have a guy with a laser cutting pattern machine. He cuts those for us. I designed the tooth size and such, he makes them in ten foot lengths for us as many as we want at a time. We have used lots.

• Like 3

I like my KnM ones.  But yours "fit" the generation better imho

• Like 2

Better tool up and make a few sets , those would surely sell . 

• Like 1

They do look comfortable to use!! Now how do I get one to try?!

• Like 1

I seriously think if you got extra time on your hands  ie  winter months    you could sell them and make some coin on the side      just my opinion

20 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Look nice to me, I always thought the factory ones were death traps.  Everyone locally makes fun of mine that I built years ago for an Oliver, modified them to go on a red one.  Nice grinding feed and I don't worry about sliding off the factory ones. I don't turn around either going down.

404754728_Painted14561.JPG.c36dfd2a22e43043472f3420235beb8f.JPG

Shucks, I would purchase one of yours as well.  When I was a young man, climbing up on the 1456, 856, 826, 766 and the 706 was not a problem.  Maturity has caused certain leg dexterity issues and I do not ascend or descend quite as well.  I think for the most part as a younger man I was more likely to just jump off.  As a more mature operator, the jump is not the problem, it is the firm landing!

• Like 1

I like the look of that . . . the factory steps are awkward on a good day . . . dangerous on a bad day . . . and I’ve had some incidents on them.  Grrr.  Gonna need to talk to the senior management about updating the steps on the 766.

16 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Grrr.  Gonna need to talk to the senior management about updating the steps on the 766.

Senior management sucks when you look into the mirror and realize the senior management is staring back at you!

Nice job! The only two 66 series tractors I drove were a 1566 with a red cab and a 666 hydro with a 2350 loader so the loader mount was the step.

22 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Never was real fond of the factory steps on an open station. They are kinda far back for dismounting forward. We moved them forward and that helped, but not my favorite. Don't like any of the aftermarket steps either. None of them are built tough enough. I am a big guy and I do not like a step that moves when I stand on it. The boys and I built these for two of our 1466's now. They do not move at all when you use them. Getting off going forward works well as we have the bottom step out from under the top one. Was a little trial and error to get them the way we liked. Not a lot of room with 20.8's set on 30 inch rows. We really like them so far. Buddy said we should have done three steps, but I don't like that look and we are all tall so two steps is good. We have the spaces even between the platform to the top step and top step to the bottom one. A few pictures of our creation.

KIMG1618.jpg

KIMG1619.jpg

KIMG1620.jpg

KIMG1624.jpg

KIMG1622.jpg

Since coming here I'm amazed at the " don't really need to but life will be easier" sense of direction you guys all take, nice work, especially the grip pattern for boggy feet.

3 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Shucks, I would purchase one of yours as well.  When I was a young man, climbing up on the 1456, 856, 826, 766 and the 706 was not a problem.  Maturity has caused certain leg dexterity issues and I do not ascend or descend quite as well.  I think for the most part as a younger man I was more likely to just jump off.  As a more mature operator, the jump is not the problem, it is the firm landing!

I couldn't make that one to sell at any reasonable price, it has a platform at the top that runs back under the deck plate and the steps themselves are thick expanded metal, and then the pappy hand rail, weighs a ton and everyone here makes fun of me that if I ever use that tractor in the field on a hillside here(Which I don't, only grinds feed) I should keep the step on the up hill side for a counter weight.  I like the OP's step myself, its simple and functional.  I already had this one laying here having sold that Oliver years ago, so decided to repurpose it.  If I ever buy another older series red tractor, which probably won't happen, I will probably build one and incorporate a tool box into the step, always thought that would be nice.

2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

If I ever buy another older series red tractor, which probably won't happen, I will probably build one and incorporate a tool box into the step, always thought that would be nice.

Agreed  and nicely done!

Looks very good and functional. I’d say with a little paint you would have trouble keeping up on orders if you decided to make them for sale. Well done!

• Like 1

looks good, kind of did the same thing , had the machine shop make the corrugated cuts, but instead of 2 steps I put 3 on, they charged me about 2 bucks for each piece 11 inches long.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. We thought about building and selling them, but hasn't gone any further than that. They are a fair amount larger than the originals and a lot heavier. Shipping would be a challenge. They would have to be fairly pricey to make it work, and the fact that you can buy original after markets for $60 not sure people would pony up. And we are busy, but time will tell.

Look nice but I definitely think there needs to be 3 steps for a 66 series tractor. Our just retired mechanic needed a third step and he still had to take time

13 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Thanks for all the compliments guys. We thought about building and selling them, but hasn't gone any further than that. They are a fair amount larger than the originals and a lot heavier. Shipping would be a challenge. They would have to be fairly pricey to make it work, and the fact that you can buy original after markets for $60 not sure people would pony up. And we are busy, but time will tell.

USPS - if it fits, it ships !!😂

I think people would buy yours over factory correct steps. If you’ve ever slid off those slippery factory steps then you just know these are a huge improvement!

Job well done!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

I'm not one for aftermarket stuff like steps etc. But I do like the looks of these. Kinda have the oem look but a way safer step. I give it 👍👍.

• Like 1