784 Clutch help

farmerole

Have an '85 IH 784 with a self adjusting clutch.  All I've ever had to do was adjust the peddle height.  The clutch is still tight but with the peddle height set at specs, it won't disengage.  Is getting worse even with the peddle height increased.  Has a greaseless throw out bearing.  I'm stumped.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  This is the third clutch and doesn't have many hours of work on it...like I said...it does not slip.  Help!

Pull bottom cover off and see what's going on. Many years ago I bolted everything up in a flywheel like it would be installed. Then put it press, most pressure plates require around 3/8 inch of finger travel to release. I always convert them back to adjustable. 

If you don't have the manuals, the ones for the 74 series can be found here, although they are for the European tractors the North American ones are very similar.
The major difference is if you have a true cab tractor where all the controls are different.

74 Series Manuals:  https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/121219-d239-674-engine-manual-pdf/

I lengthened the adjusting rod to compensate for the travel of the fingers and lets me shift without grinding.  Clutch peddle is now uncomfortably high.    Suspect the clutch pads are worn down or something else not right.  Any other thoughts out there?

4 hours ago, farmerole said:

I lengthened the adjusting rod to compensate for the travel of the fingers and lets me shift without grinding.  Clutch peddle is now uncomfortably high.    Suspect the clutch pads are worn down or something else not right.  Any other thoughts out there?

I dont think it sounds like you were adjusting the pedal correctly.  If it works now, sounds like you got it closer to correct. 

I simply adjusted the peddle height according to the OM like I've done many times before.  That's why I think something just isn't right.  When the clutch was worn out before it would slip.  Doesn't do that now.

11 minutes ago, farmerole said:

I simply adjusted the peddle height according to the OM like I've done many times before.  That's why I think something just isn't right.  When the clutch was worn out before it would slip.  Doesn't do that now.

If it shifts correctly, and isn't slipping, deal with the "uncomfortably high" pedal or spit the tractor.  Your choice. 

We have a 784 at the farm, and when I was a dealer tech I used to work on those model tractors.  If you can adjust the problem away, you should be fine.  Now, if you are out of adjustment, then worry.  I'm going to say that the pedal was improperly adjusted and you just aren't used to it being the way it is supposed to be.  Post pictures and we can see what you are seeing. 

Archived