Sign in to follow this  
agonair

IH Model 48 disk

Neighbor has a 48 disk that he is wanting to sell. He told me it was a 480. Actually, he thought the 0 had come off, but it is a model 48. I cannot find much on line about the 48. I know it was built in the late 50's and early 60's. This one is not too bad of shape for the years. Blades are good. He has replaced the bearings with sealed. It has the wings but no wing gangs. He has replaced the lift cylinder. When completely lowered, he still has over 1/2 of the ram showing. It will not lift very high for transport. Did IH use a special cylinder? I do not want to buy something only to have spend big dollars on a cylinder. He has priced it at $1,200. Frame is good. No welds or cracks. Paint is faded. Tires are cracked. Your thoughts? 

A 48 had a special cylinder.   We sold new one in 1966.      

I know some cylinders had "extended anvil" (a extra long rod) or even odd strokes (10, 12") before everybody standardized on the common 8" and 16" cylinders that OEM's try to use today.

You can usually replace a cylinder by dimension, not have to buy an $$$ OEM one.   Measure the pin to pin dimension fully down and fully up, and find a cylinder at a hydraulics supply (or surpluscenter.com) that is close.

Pete’s right.  Our 480 had a longer stroke cylinder on it too.  Don’t remember exact dimension.  Good heavy disk.

At that price it's a buy in this area even if you have to get a custom made cylinder for it