Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehammer

#37 disk sizes?

What widths were the IH #37 disk harrows available in?  I’ve done a little looking but haven’t got a good answer yet. 

I have literature at home, I will try to remember to look tonight and let you know.  I have 1 that is approx. 10' and when I was a kid I remember my Dad having 1 that was approx. 14'. 

We had a 12 footer (plus a few inches) back in the sixties, pulled it with a 656, 560 and 706.  

Per IH literature,

7 inch spacing, 28 blade, 8 ft. 6 in. width @ 1,691 pounds.

7                           32             9     7                      1,814 pounds.

7                             36             10   9                      1936 pounds.

7                             40               12                          2,287 pounds

7                              44                12    11                 2,406 pounds.

7                              48                 14                           2,669 pounds.

9  inch spacing, 9 ft.                           24 blades @ 1,704 pounds.

9                             10-4    28 blades @ 1,835 pounds.

9                              12 ft.  32 blades @ 2.216 pounds

9                               13 ft, 3 in. 36 blades @ 2,292 pounds.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's odd the 37 was 7 in spacing and 480,490, etc were 7.5 in spacing.

I still have one that's 14 ft I think. I need to fix that disk, it's a good disk and handy.

Thx-Ace

Its funny how things can come full circle sometimes. By the 1980s, the model #37 disc was replaced by much bigger models as tractors got bigger. Most 12' and 14' models of discs were relegated to tree rows as nobody wanted them anymore. Many a scrap man made quite a living in the 1980s/90s buying those discs from $50/100 at all the farm auctions going on then. Fast forward all these years later....and a lot of guys are looking for small discs that size to work in tree groves, around wetland areas, etc. that you can't get today's bigger discs into. Now they are practically all gone. Now a good disc like that is worth several hundred, maybe a thousand $$$ anymore, depending on condition.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, acem said:

It's odd the 37 was 7 in spacing and 480,490, etc were 7.5 in spacing.

I still have one that's 14 ft I think. I need to fix that disk, it's a good disk and handy.

Thx-Ace

about the time they went to the 3 diget model numbers they changed the bearing design and  went to the 7.5 and 9 inch spacing I have  set up many new 370 and 470 disks

7 hours ago, SDman said:

Its funny how things can come full circle sometimes. By the 1980s, the model #37 disc was replaced by much bigger models as tractors got bigger. Most 12' and 14' models of discs were relegated to tree rows as nobody wanted them anymore. Many a scrap man made quite a living in the 1980s/90s buying those discs from $50/100 at all the farm auctions going on then. Fast forward all these years later....and a lot of guys are looking for small discs that size to work in tree groves, around wetland areas, etc. that you can't get today's bigger discs into. Now they are practically all gone. Now a good disc like that is worth several hundred, maybe a thousand $$$ anymore, depending on condition.

You’re right. I paid $650 for a 12ft 37 a few years ago and sold it for $900 when I decided I didn’t need it. Then I decided I needed another one and paid $550 for a 12ft Oliver 252. After replacing front blades and bearings I’ve got over $1000 in it. And wouldn’t sell it for less. It’s a nice stout disc that has its place

I grew up on a 37 or 370 disk, I'm not sure. I still have it but you can't read the number. It has ball bearings and 7 in spacing but the bearing holders went all the way around the bearing making it hard to remove the axle.

It's been sitting for years with a bent axle. I need to fix it. They are handy disks.

Thx-Ace

just take a torch and cut that bottom hole out, so the spools will drop out the bottom.