5088 Trans Problem

WishIhada1466

Went out to investigate a problem on a 5088. Tractor has a whine/growl when good and warm. I could not get it to make noise but it did while he was baling. I'm not real familiar with the 88s. I pulled the filters and drained the oil. Filters were installed correctly by the way. I got some tooth pieces out of the drain plug and the bigger pieces from the rearward filter housing. I've not been in the transmission on one of these and I can't say for sure on where this parts came from. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated. I did pull the PTO to put a seal in the 540 shaft and the snap ring was out of its groove allowing the gear on the 540 shaft to rub the housing. I am hoping that is where the intermittent noise was coming from. The oil was clean. Only the larger chunks and no fine metal. Kind of wondering if it is left over parts from a previous repair. Tractor operates as it should and shifts fine. I put my flowrater on it and checked the hydraulics and got it all up to temperature and all seems good now. We know no history on the tractor as my customer just purchased it and now the seller doesnt return calls. The Sentry module is in place and hooked up.

20200618_081117.thumb.jpg.14f38982d12f14139c779186095b4d57.jpg

did it make any noise on the odd gears (1,3,5) ive pulled teeth out of ones before like you have in the picture and they all make noise like the pto gear makes at idle but worse or louder, after awhile it will keep chipping teeth and the sentry light will come on and the tractor will stop moving, the trans needs to be rebuilt at that point. The last one we had do that i got what you have pictured out by the handful short of the little rod part i dont know what that is.

There's a little inspection plate you can remove that's located on the bottom right side of the transmission housing. Drain the hydraulic oil and remove that plate to see some of the gears. You can also remove the speed shift cover from the front left side of the transmission. You can see more gears here. If you don't open things up, you'll never know for sure plus you may save additional damage from occurring. 

I drove it all around two different times and it never made any noise in any range or speed. The only time he has had it make noise is when he was baling hay. I'll suggest to him that we pull that inspection cover.

Here is a little better picture of the pieces.

20200618_194824.thumb.jpg.6b03066c97e6343e2b54aef07ed62fea.jpg

12 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

I drove it all around two different times and it never made any noise in any range or speed. The only time he has had it make noise is when he was baling hay. I'll suggest to him that we pull that inspection cover.

Well, what would he do baling hay that would be different than you driving it around?  ...... The PTO would be on.... so, have you put it on a dyno to simulate a light load and see if it makes the noise? Were you driving it around in a gear he bales in?

1 hour ago, WishIhada1466 said:

It had certainly crossed my mind. 

i didn't think about the park gear yesterday i actually just pulled one a part this morning to replace the paw if you want i can try to put some pictures up

5 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Well, what would he do baling hay that would be different than you driving it around?  ...... The PTO would be on.... so, have you put it on a dyno to simulate a light load and see if it makes the noise? Were you driving it around in a gear he bales in?

I don't have access to a dyno. I've driven it in every gear even with the pto on but with no load. I won't have time to get back to it until next week sometime anyway. 

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to bring this tractor to the shop and investigate the problems. Turns out it was the park gear. The parts I found were all involved in the park. It's going to need a gear and pawl for sure. Looks like the pawl had been rubbing on the teeth for some time. Thanks for all the advice. 

10 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

I was finally able to bring this tractor to the shop and investigate the problems. Turns out it was the park gear. The parts I found were all involved in the park. It's going to need a gear and pawl for sure. Looks like the pawl had been rubbing on the teeth for some time. Thanks for all the advice. 

ouch, glad you found the problem - do you have to separate the tractor to fix it? 

Archived