oldtanker

Battle Lake MN in the big time!

New place opened up in Battle Lake MN. BL is less than 1,000 people so a new business is a big deal. I hope they make it!

Anyway as an attention grabber they have these vehicles parked out in front!

ih.jpg.2e17de55e62ccb7f43ec2a97d2d61fc7.jpgih2.jpg.97ee1e25dd0429d1096fe45d5ec82640.jpgih1.jpg.80d0c73310049e777789a2a9d16a948c.jpgih4.jpg.ad637f38c2f37f41a0156a11b57c4d02.jpgGMC.jpg.58aff091194459826b4c9f30a84745b5.jpgGMC2.jpg.0ecd545ae4f60d4e5c9effee64caf663.jpgNavy.jpg.ae8acf80f1fb14a49b78559be5aa10c6.jpgNavy1.jpg.7cd91f0f181fdea972ce5a270898a4ba.jpg

Rick

ih5.jpg

• Like 5

Case.jpg.be068124715042407b7c5e0fbfaf0a06.jpgCase1.jpg.e7844893711eec4519cb541222871b16.jpgFire2.jpg.de94bb9d196c464806676884ce0db69d.jpgFire1.jpg.126093f41780f13346753675a4cb6bc9.jpgfire3.jpg.96c0dec835e812d33e3932ce9698a3cb.jpgJeep.jpg.9ec25294e635bb7268b0defd56da50b7.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Jeep1.jpg

JeepPTO.jpg

• Like 6

That's all there is there. May have to go and see what shows up tomorrow night for the "free car show".

Rick

And they had to wreck it with the Case!!! Sweet old trucks!! Especially the single axle cab over!!

19 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

And they had to wreck it with the Case!!! Sweet old trucks!! Especially the single axle cab over!!

Wasn't my doing.🤣

Rick

Hay thanks for sharing. All nicely fitted,for showing off out front.

I don't always pick out all the detail in pictures like some on here. So I did a another look see at the Jeep on the ramp truck. By design or accident, neat trick hiding the mower bar behind the pole in the first shot with the Jeep. Never having seen anyone doing much tractor type work with a Jeep seeing the plow on back was thing to attract me. But then a mower and the PTO on the back too.

35 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Hay thanks for sharing. All nicely fitted,for showing off out front.

I don't always pick out all the detail in pictures like some on here. So I did a another look see at the Jeep on the ramp truck. By design or accident, neat trick hiding the mower bar behind the pole in the first shot with the Jeep. Never having seen anyone doing much tractor type work with a Jeep seeing the plow on back was thing to attract me. But then a mower and the PTO on the back too.

Ray Jeep got stuck will all the undelivered Jeeps when the Japanese surrendered. Clause in the contract that would let the government off the hook should the war end like it did. So Jeep had to get innovative to sell the surplus. They had a PTO driven mounted air compressor available as an option and a lot of other things. The compressor itself looked like it was a modified Wisconsin air cooled V4. Saw one sell at auction a couple of years ago. That thing would run a jackhammer. I saw one sell at auction a few years back and looked it up online. I'd seen the farm Jeeps at several tractor shows so I wasn't shocked by that. First one I saw I though some company had made the add on mounts and 3 point. Then talking to the owner I got an education. Kinda like learning about the tractor mounted generator that IH sold, the 540 PTO attachment sold by Cub Cadet, JD, Sears and Wheel Horse that could run a bale elevator. Just kinds cool stuff to get people to buy! I think I'm going to take the wife to dinner there tomorrow. They are having a free car show. If I see anything else interesting I'll post pictures.

Rick

• Like 1

I was aware of the Jeep as a farm tool and had seen the articles with all the different attachments,just never seen any in person. The neighbors with a lot of walnut orchard planted on as steppe a ground as a crawler would go on had a Jeep with PTO they where going to power a auger with. Another guy had Ford 8n he would widen out  and drilled tree wholes from right after WW2 till into the 90's. So I don't think the Jeep was ever used for that. Lots of early Jeeps around the area,but no attachments that I ever saw. Maybe more Jeeps than wheel tractors,this was crawler country.

You being a Ford 8n guy this guy never rolled his and you would not believe where all he got. But he always had brakes.  Never let things like that go,or any other maintenance.

8 minutes ago, ray54 said:

I was aware of the Jeep as a farm tool and had seen the articles with all the different attachments,just never seen any in person. The neighbors with a lot of walnut orchard planted on as steppe a ground as a crawler would go on had a Jeep with PTO they where going to power a auger with. Another guy had Ford 8n he would widen out  and drilled tree wholes from right after WW2 till into the 90's. So I don't think the Jeep was ever used for that. Lots of early Jeeps around the area,but no attachments that I ever saw. Maybe more Jeeps than wheel tractors,this was crawler country.

You being a Ford 8n guy this guy never rolled his and you would not believe where all he got. But he always had brakes.  Never let things like that go,or any other maintenance.

I got a Ford 860, the 8N's are gone. I wanted a little more HP. And mine had brakes and new axle seals. 

Rick

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Ray Jeep got stuck will all the undelivered Jeeps when the Japanese surrendered. Clause in the contract that would let the government off the hook should the war end like it did. So Jeep had to get innovative to sell the surplus. They had a PTO driven mounted air compressor available as an option and a lot of other things. The compressor itself looked like it was a modified Wisconsin air cooled V4. Saw one sell at auction a couple of years ago. That thing would run a jackhammer. I saw one sell at auction a few years back and looked it up online. I'd seen the farm Jeeps at several tractor shows so I wasn't shocked by that. First one I saw I though some company had made the add on mounts and 3 point. Then talking to the owner I got an education. Kinda like learning about the tractor mounted generator that IH sold, the 540 PTO attachment sold by Cub Cadet, JD, Sears and Wheel Horse that could run a bale elevator. Just kinds cool stuff to get people to buy! I think I'm going to take the wife to dinner there tomorrow. They are having a free car show. If I see anything else interesting I'll post pictures.

Rick

Sometime around 1960 my father hired some water pipe trenched in by a local contractor.  The trencher was mounted on and powered by a Meep.  Ground drive was by a chain from the trencher mechanism driving a sprocket on one rear wheel with an adjustable ratcheting drive. Do not remember, but I assume somehow the other wheels also drove.  When done,  the drive chain was removed and the Jeep went down the road.

7 hours ago, E160BHM said:

Sometime around 1960 my father hired some water pipe trenched in by a local contractor.  The trencher was mounted on and powered by a Meep.  Ground drive was by a chain from the trencher mechanism driving a sprocket on one rear wheel with an adjustable ratcheting drive. Do not remember, but I assume somehow the other wheels also drove.  When done,  the drive chain was removed and the Jeep went down the road.

I recall seeing pictures of a Jeep with a trencher on it.

Rick

I always wanted to rake hay with my CJ5, never got around to putting hydraulics on it. 

Might have to move it up on my to do list. 🤔

I just looked at my to do list...........................not this year😥

I have had two Jeep-A-Trench units.  Still have one. Trencher made in Auburn,  NE.  One was on a CJ2A and all mechanical.  One on a CJ3A and driven by a hydro.  I still have that one.

Ron

• Thanks 2

I grew up across the street from a small airport. They had a 1970 Cj-5 that had a oversized Meyer's plow on front and a pto out the back. Used to tow a pull behind brush hog to mow the edges of the runways. It was a mainly glider airport, the jeep did a lot of mowing, plowing, and towing of airplanes and gliders.It had a hand throttle to use when mowing. They sold it in 1976, I was only 14, and my Dad wouldn't let me but it two years before I could drive! I can remember that unit like it was yesterday, V6 motor, white hardtop, avacado gold, with the Meyer's plow. Been looking for its twin for years!

Jeep dropped the pto after 1971 when AMC bought Jeep from kaiser.

I have seen Scout 800A's with rear pto, and jeeps with all kinds of attachments , but never a side mounted sickle mower.

More pictures please!

• Like 1

I've never been to Battle Lake, but I used to hear Elmer's Texas Barbeque advertised a lot on KBRF.

A neighbor had a jeep with a pto back in the 70s. He ran his square hay baler with it! Thx-Ace

22 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I recall seeing pictures of a Jeep with a trencher on it.

Rick

Like this?

5EBCAD82-8D3D-48F3-AAE6-328F5054654D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That one is a bit newer than mine.  My newest one that I still have is a 1950 CJ3A.

The trencher is very hard on the frame and rear springs.  Also almost requires duals on the rear.

Ron

• Like 1