Sign in to follow this  
augercreek

WET SANDBLASTERS

Have any of you used the pressure wet sand blasters? Are they any good?

I've seen adds for whole systems. They look spendy. I talked to one guy I use to sand blast large items and he said apparently there is an additive you use for the water to keep the items from flash rusting.

A friend of mine has one , $ 40,000.00 so a guy better like to blast stuff to pay for it 😳

‘Danny

They are made in Houston, Texas. Both the blaster and the trailer are made at same business.

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

You can order everything, in one package, including the trailer, or buy just what you want.

I looked years ago and were pricey then. But they do nice work.

No dust and they will eat rust, paint or anything in the way.

This would be my choice over conventional blasters.

They advertise on Motor Trend TV a lot. They showed how they were made. Looks like quality stuff.

I'm talking about the ones you use with your gas powered pressure washer.

I heard it was rather common to use them before repainting stuff like anhydrous tanks.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, augercreek said:

I'm talking about the ones you use with your gas powered pressure washer.

Did you ever look into this further? I’m curious about what you might have found?

I found it?

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660204_200660204

$89.99 with a replacement nozzle of 22260 for $32.99, if needed.

Or, a supposed better one for $149.99 but not included is the required nozzle, Model# N00050MP and their item# is 43131 and costs $12.99.

I have one from northern tool, it works good. Stuff will rust fast if you don’t treat it or dry it quick though. It’s not going to compete with a large air unit. Nice for small things , haven’t used it for a while, will have to get it out and use it again, thanks for reminding me that have it😜

5 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I doubt Northern Tool sells one any more.

It said S.F. had two on the shelf?

Didn't they open a new store in Aberdeen?

I'm interested in this type of blasting. I bought a cheap " sand blaster " that uses air. I bought a bag of play sand from Home Depot and started blasting. Then a friend told me your not supposed to use sand with a " sand blaster " . Supposedly the sand will get ground into a fine dust and will cause silicosis in your lungs. Your supposed to buy a blasting medium.

with this type of wet blasting can you use cheap sand? No dust to breath so you should be ok right?

47 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It said S.F. had two on the shelf?

Didn't they open a new store in Aberdeen?

2260 is no longer available. 22260 is just a nozzle.

7 hours ago, MarkG said:

Your supposed to buy a blasting medium

Coal slag is cheap enough. TSC has it as Black Diamond, about $10./bag. Local parts store used to carry it as Black Beauty for less.

Well I bought one on E Bay and it did what I wanted it to. Cleaned all the scalely  stuff off the trailer frame. It would  clean down to bare metal if you hold it there long enough but I didn't want bare metal anyway. I used Black Blast for the media. My pressure washer is a 3100 PSI  and worked well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MarkG said:

I'm interested in this type of blasting. I bought a cheap " sand blaster " that uses air. I bought a bag of play sand from Home Depot and started blasting. Then a friend told me your not supposed to use sand with a " sand blaster " . Supposedly the sand will get ground into a fine dust and will cause silicosis in your lungs. Your supposed to buy a blasting medium.

with this type of wet blasting can you use cheap sand? No dust to breath so you should be ok right?

I bought a 40# pressure blaster at Harbor Freight about 15 yrs ago. The first bag of play sand absolutely would not work, too many big grains plugged up the nozzle and shut you down. I bought a couple pails of blasting media from HF and it worked fine. SON found out the local contractor supply shop had crushed quartz that's sized for blasting/etching concrete and I bet I've bought a 1000# of that works great! I'd try Black Beauty, processed slag but nobody local has it. My quartz is 100# bag for $2-$3 a bag.  When I blast I typically do it as far away from the front of my shop as all my hoses will reach, and I still get sand all over my concrete. It's not really a problem other than the sand on concrete is slicker than ICE.  I've blasted enough I wore all the guts out inside the blasting gun and bought a new one a couple years ago at HF,  think it was $12. I bought a 7-1/2 hp 80 gallon 2 stage compressor specifically to blast with, it just BARELY keeps up, the ceramic nozzles wear as you blast and air use goes up and up.

I need to blast the frt rims on the SH to repaint them, and the hubcaps. I've got about 130# of sand, should be enough.

29 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

It's not really a problem other than the sand on concrete is slicker than ICE. 

The slickest are the glass beads that escape from my bead blaster! Those little spheres roll quite nicely under your feet.

6 minutes ago, New Englander said:

The slickest are the glass beads that escape from my bead blaster! Those little spheres roll quite nicely under your feet.

Sounds slicker than snot on a glass door knob?

• Like 1

I use a rotary nozzle on my 4500 psi pressure washer. Any rust that won't remove needs a needle scaler. I still have the pressure pot sandblaster I bought years ago but haven't used it since I bought the rotary nozzle.

I see Pressure Washers Direct has 7 wet sandblasters including the General Pump DSDBK1 that Northern Tool sold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I bought a 40# pressure blaster at Harbor Freight about 15 yrs ago. The first bag of play sand absolutely would not work, too many big grains plugged up the nozzle and shut you down. I bought a couple pails of blasting media from HF and it worked fine. SON found out the local contractor supply shop had crushed quartz that's sized for blasting/etching concrete and I bet I've bought a 1000# of that works great! I'd try Black Beauty, processed slag but nobody local has it. My quartz is 100# bag for $2-$3 a bag.  When I blast I typically do it as far away from the front of my shop as all my hoses will reach, and I still get sand all over my concrete. It's not really a problem other than the sand on concrete is slicker than ICE.  I've blasted enough I wore all the guts out inside the blasting gun and bought a new one a couple years ago at HF,  think it was $12. I bought a 7-1/2 hp 80 gallon 2 stage compressor specifically to blast with, it just BARELY keeps up, the ceramic nozzles wear as you blast and air use goes up and up.

I need to blast the frt rims on the SH to repaint them, and the hubcaps. I've got about 130# of sand, should be enough.

Dr. E:  Upgrade to an ALC gun from Northern Equipment.  It makes all the difference in the world.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_33176_33176

Posted (edited)

Interesting about these pressure washer blasters.

Have helped my mate blasting a bit.

He has a 240cfm diesel compressor to run his blaster.

We usually put ground glass in. It is just the ground up glass we all send for recycling.

He sometimes uses  the black slag which is I  believe the crust from blast furnaces. This  an be re used if it is collected in a blast room.

I have wet blasted a few buildings with him. Inatead of just being a horrible job it is a horrible wet dirty job.

We use a air fed helmet  to dry blast with but due to the lack of dust with wet blasting a face shield is adequate. We then take it off and hose it down regularly due to the mud sticking to it.

The last building  we did like this one of us held a piece of plywood over the windows whilst the other blasted the edges of the wall around the window.

I came to the conclusion that it was best to stick a plastic bucket over my head to stop all the mud, crap and spray from landing on me.

Must have looked a sight. There was no point in using a face shield as it would have been covered in mud and I couldn't see a thing. And when my mate was up a layer of scaffolding and I was down below the bucket was awesome.

I haven't  wet blasted any metalwork.

Yes he has a chemical that gives 72hrs protection from rusting prior to putting the paint on.

From my own experiences blasting an empty crankcase block, sump and head I would not blast anything but an empty casting due to the blast media getting inside everything.

Even where there is no apparent crack for it to get through.

So complete transmissions or engines most certainly not.

Oh and wet blasting requires less air volume due to the water being uncompressable. The water is only added in the nozzle at the end of the pipe.

Edited by Pid 1831
clarification of details
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 3:15 PM, MarkG said:

Yes, that is exactly the point of wet blasting. Cheap blasting medium and avoiding silicosis

• Thanks 1