Sign in to follow this  
hanniedog

Harbor Freight breaker bar

Bought me a 1/2 in two foot pittsburg breaker bar yesterday for a bit over $9 bucks. Lifetime warranty too. 

• Like 1

Put a long enough pipe on a Snap-On and you can Snap-Off. It'll be interesting to hear how the HF one hold up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

Bought me a 1/2 in two foot pittsburg breaker bar yesterday for a bit over $9 bucks. Lifetime warranty too. 

I bought one of them around the first of the year. I am on my second one now. In its defense a 5 foot piece of pipe will twist the square shank right off. 

• Haha 4

I bent mine by hand, but I have used it pretty hard.

I have used one since Harbor Freight first came ashore, I have never had a failure except when I use it as a sacrificial tool.  I have moved up to a 42" 3/4 drive from Northern Tool also a sacrificial tool but much more meat for 500 FT LB lug nuts break-away.

When they try to get wifes uncle to use self check out he replies "i dont work here you do."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oleman said:

since Harbor Freight first came ashore

A couple of guys from California started that business as a close out seller then branched out into importing cheap junk for a mail order business.

Then they branched out into brick and mortar retail that kind of goes against the trend today.

I guess people want hold that cheap junk in their hands before they buy it. 

I've been fooled many times but I wouldn't put a pipe on their stuff your going to end up on your a$$

They likely have made billions.   

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

A couple of guys from California started that business as a close out seller then branched out into importing cheap junk for a mail order business.

Then they branched out into brick and mortar retail that kind of goes against the trend today.

I've been fooled many times but I wouldn't put a pipe on their stuff your going to end up on your a$$

they have came along way like i said in a previous post i had one of their icon series ratchets given to me next to my snap on if i covered up the names on the heads it be hard to tell which is which even handling them

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

When they try to get wifes uncle to use self check out he replies "i dont work here you do."

Bang on, they also don’t realize the more we do the less jobs for them.

• Like 2

I use My snap on 3/4 ratchet  that I paid around the same amount for at auction as a breaker bar.

15 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I've said that to the wife on the self checkouts. If I'm doing their job for them I want a discount on what im buying.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I used to buy only Craftsman tools,occasionally SK but craftsman went way down and returning is more of a chore now.I have had harbor freight impact sockets,ratchets and socket sets with ZERO complaints.I like the way thier 72 tooth ratchets work,feel and sound.I bought some if their testing equ.,fine for what little I use it for.The price is a big thing,why spend 6 to 10 times for something that to me will do the same job.Snap On man loves to sell you his tools and if they are so much better why do they offer free returns for breakage,because they break too.Tools are like a gun ,it's not the guns fault when you miss 90% of the time it's the man's.Tools are only as good as the man using them.

Not sticking up for harbor freight but if you put a 5 foot pipe on anything you will ruin it. Get the right tools for the job. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dasnake said:

The job's already gone. Making them work harder won't bring it back.

By the way I've reefed on my HF 1/2" breaker bars pretty hard and they've held up to everything I've subjected them to.

There are countless tests of these on youtube, and they seem to hold up well. I believe everyone's favorite AvE was one of them.

15 hours ago, Dasnake said:

not so, how many self checkouts do you deal with that don't have at least as many employees standing there supervising as there are self checkouts? supermarket, building supply, doesn't matter, they are there making sure you don't steal crap and keeping you from buying beer and caned air without a license. 

I have twisted off several 1/2" craftsmen bars over the years, after sears left it stopped being quite so much fun, used to keep 2 so no biggie just swap it out when I went to town. had Carlyle since had no issues. I will say I have a set of masterhand 1/2" extensions from TSC, they really have been great and have a knurled section so they spin with fingers easily. I like them. 

20 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Anyone get a W-2 from Wal-Mart last year for doing their self-checkout?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

knurled section

I've got some HF 3/8ths extensions that are not only knurled but have a socket lock mechanism as well. Haven't broken them yet even using a small impact on them.

37 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I've got some HF 3/8ths extensions that are not only knurled but have a socket lock mechanism as well. Haven't broken them yet even using a small impact on them.

This one handles an impact.. so far 

14C9410C-2C1E-49B2-85DC-B7CBB43929BF.jpeg

😁  😂  🤣 

860787756_hazardfraught.jpg.f09d9b88dfa80e6b12eca0b9ecbda3ac.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I broke a 3/4" HF breaker bar but had a 5ft pipe on the end of it. Went back to the store, gave me a new one with no questions asked. I like their wrenches and sockets for that reason. There's certain things I wouldn't buy there though. 

At one time, I had thought about having "He NEVER set foot inside a Harbor Freight" inscribed on my tombstone (NOT the pizza kind), but now I have settled on 'coffee can, road ditch', as my final resting place, and IF I am so lucky as to tossed out the window in some part of the country, where I have really enjoyed living (which cuts the choices down to just a couple), or where I have driven thru, (a FAR greater number), so much the better.

Years ago, I was driving down I-95 in North Carolina, and there was a Harbor Freight distribution center on the east side of the interstate, and I swear to God, you could smell the 'distinktive' scent of Chinesium wafting thru the air.

Hazard Fraught stuff is hit and miss, more miss than otherwise. 3/4” socket set in the dairy shop is close to junk. Sockets don’t stand up very well, on the third ratchet I think. Other two shelled out first time they got “used” for real. The 1/2” set there is also Pittsburgh but looks like a much better quality product at a glance and is also performing much better. 

On 6/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, jeeper61 said:

Brick and mortar stores are good for them. Every time I order from a catalog (or internet) I buy exactly what I want. Walk through a harbor freight store and you will see dozens of things you could use. If even one of them tempts you enough to purchase, they win!