Sign in to follow this  
MBrown

Question on serial numbers

I'm sure this has been discussed before  . But how do you read or decode a tractors sn . I just purchased a tractor and would like to get some info on it. Thanks for any help in advanced 

There is no way to "decode" the serial numbers. They are a running total. There are charts for each model that will list the beginning number for each year and for some models each month. These charts can be found in parts books and various places online. Tractordata.com is one site. 

4 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

There is no way to "decode" the serial numbers. They are a running total. There are charts for each model that will list the beginning number for each year and for some models each month. These charts can be found in parts books and various places online. Tractordata.com is one site. 

Thanks I just wanted to try and figure out what year and possibly where it was manufactured 

They sometimes use dashes and letters to indicate special equiptment like high altitude heads.

• Thanks 1

Just type your tractor make and model into google and hit search. Tractor datas site will be one of the search results.

11 hours ago, MBrown said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before  . But how do you read or decode a tractors sn . I just purchased a tractor and would like to get some info on it. Thanks for any help in advanced 

maybe if the tractor model was posted and the serial # then you would get some info on the year right here. cant comment on something invisible. i purchased a tractor also and want some info on it.

17 hours ago, MBrown said:

As stated above, the serial numbers are sequential. The records exist for most IH models, to determine not just the year but also the month of manufacture.

Most models were only built in one location.

If you share the model and serial number here, someone would walk you through it.

Here she is . I'll have to get the serial when I get home from work 

20200614_145957.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MBrown said:

Here she is . I'll have to get the serial when I get home from work 

20200614_145957.jpg

All Farmall 460's were built at Farmall Works in Rock Island, IL. 

Looks like a 58 or 59 model and someone installed a M lower bolster on it. F-460 was made from 58 to 63.