I bought a 650 Auto wrap baler at a sale Saturday. First use today. (I have used my neighbor's 644 quite a bit, so I know the tying routine.) First bale reached size, and the twine started. Pointer went left and started back toward the CUT side. I looked away, and the next thing I knew, the pointer was back to the left and twine was wrapping around the middle of the bale. Lots of twine. Where should I look for the problem? Linda downloaded the service manual, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

On the passenger side of the baler on the pulley that runs the twine tie system. The cog/lever sometimes gets to where it is not catching and will do your describing. I dont remember exactly how to fix but remember using washers to get it to catch. I am looking for parts pictures now

We had problems on our 640 that the cam would get stiff and not swing back to catch and stop . It would then tie it again

There is also a breakaway on the twine arms. If a slug of hay caught the twine arms when they went to the middle and were started on there way back it could have popped out. I had this happen on a customers 640 2 weeks ago and another customers 654 today. If that is what it is you can loosen the bolt on top of the breakway tube and then pop the twine arms back in to reset. Then tighten the bolt back up. I cant find a picture of it in parts but if you can move the twine arms freely by hand then that is likely what has happened. You can see it on the right hand side of the machine looking between the big tubing crossmember and the twine box.

35 minutes ago, Brent1086 said:

On the passenger side of the baler on the pulley that runs the twine tie system. The cog/lever sometimes gets to where it is not catching and will do your describing. I dont remember exactly how to fix but remember using washers to get it to catch. I am looking for parts pictures now

Seems like it is on like a dowel. My 660 done that before. Seems like I took it off and just cleaned it up good so it pivoted smooth. 

20 hours ago, ny bill o said:

I bought a 650 Auto wrap baler at a sale Saturday. First use today. (I have used my neighbor's 644 quite a bit, so I know the tying routine.) First bale reached size, and the twine started. Pointer went left and started back toward the CUT side. I looked away, and the next thing I knew, the pointer was back to the left and twine was wrapping around the middle of the bale. Lots of twine. Where should I look for the problem? Linda downloaded the service manual, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Did you get it figured out. 

3 hours ago, 1466fan said:

Did you get it figured out. 

just got in from moving bales off the hill. It was indeed the breakaway. Between the RP suggestions and studying the manuals we downloaded, I saw how the breakaway worked, and what it was doing. I took it apart, and there was enough grease in the cylinder that I won't need to grease it for the next 10 years. when the b-away would trip was at the end of the tie cycle, when it was supposed to cut the string. Wham, it would let loose with the twine arms. After I took the cylinder apart and cleaned much grease away, I turned the tension bolt one full turn. That worked for the first bale; the second time, b-away tripped again. so I tightened it 2 more turns. I know the manual says to be cautious, but it finally stayed put. I think I made 47 bales this afternoon. thanks, everyone, for all the help.

• Like 3