Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sandhiller

The poor misunderstood Handyman Jack

Recommended Posts

Seems there are two camps out there.

Love 'em

If your careful and use common sense, they are damn "handy". 🤗

Hate 'em

They will kill you, your family and your dog. Why, burying them in the ground to use as an anchor for a fence corner is too good for 'em 🤬

Well.........................

I had to slide a fully loaded 20.8 x 38 in 3 inches today. Handyman Jack to the rescue. I even went in a 1/2" too far. Just reset the chain and slid it back out the 1/2" necessary. Made it effortless for an old fat man. 🤠

1786762390_1486slidetire.thumb.jpg.d76d9997238f6ed5d62e886a30d26c0a.jpg

1631689615_1486slidetire2.thumb.jpg.27458b2d5a4ecc9b14e823fc5369e5e6.jpg 

Guess which camp I'm in😄

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got 2 of them. Definitely handy but I’ve never used one like that. Me and my wife set a pole barn back on its stem wall with several of them. Termites ate the base boards up on the back wall and heavy wind blew it off. We got it up high enough to put new boards in and set it back down and screwed them in. Worked like a charm and saved the building. Had to borrow everyone’s jack in the county I think for that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have learned to always put the handle in the up position, that way i't can't slam up on you. like you have it. looks like you understand it very well. I couldn't farm without one. keep one in every pickup. how ever only buy quality.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got one mounted on front with my winch, never used it, never hope to, but it’s there if need be, what’s the bus in the background?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kid used to grind his 4x in the ground and he always had the jack a tree strap and a come along and cel phone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Seems there are two camps out there.

Love 'em

If your careful and use common sense, they are damn "handy". 🤗

Hate 'em

They will kill you, your family and your dog. Why, burying them in the ground to use as an anchor for a fence corner is too good for 'em 🤬

Well.........................

I had to slide a fully loaded 20.8 x 38 in 3 inches today. Handyman Jack to the rescue. I even went in a 1/2" too far. Just reset the chain and slid it back out the 1/2" necessary. Made it effortless for an old fat man. 🤠

1786762390_1486slidetire.thumb.jpg.d76d9997238f6ed5d62e886a30d26c0a.jpg

1631689615_1486slidetire2.thumb.jpg.27458b2d5a4ecc9b14e823fc5369e5e6.jpg 

Guess which camp I'm in😄

…...I have one of those finger pinching SOB's     as well......US made...and as you say very 'handy "

…..however, sadly sandhiller, I have to take you to task re the description...…"Handy Man Jack"'..

...Now, down under, in our progressive civilised Socialist   state.....we would call that "tool ' a  "Handy Person Jack "...gender neutral you see...thus no one gets offended.....never mind the crushed "metacarpals"...indeed  even "metatarsals"....(OK...either fingers or toes.....:rolleyes: )…….with the attendant pain.....You still need to use the correct terminology...…..otherwise some iron corseted  virgin  will lay a complaint   with  "The Race Relations Councillor" or some equally august  body …..and  you will be in trouble...…...This is, of course, for the general advancement of our civilised world,    ""personkind "".....equal rights you know.......other wise we could have rioting in the streets...….:o....sigh

And it gets worse, Jeff......All the folk working on the Molesworth    Station   have to wear "helmets " whilst on horseback...no more "cowboy "  hats as the Stetson is erroneously called , down under.....and those young men are not happy...…  Its all about "Health and Safety" you know...….The fine old gentleman  , Mr Bill Chisholm,   would be aghast at this directive from some soft shoed wearing suit ….who wouldn't know if his rectal orifice was on fire...…..

Mike

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Guess which camp I'm in😄

Old and fat?  
 

Oh wait, the like camp?! 😬🤣

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one with a IH decal on it. I have three of them and use them often being prepared in case they tip or slip. Always have handle up when tripping the down lever. A friend didn't do that and when he tripped the lever the handle came up and ripped his ear off !!!!

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Now, down under, in our progressive civilised Socialist   state.....we would call that "tool ' a  "Handy Person Jack "...gender neutral you see...thus no one gets offended.....never mind the crushed "metacarpals"...indeed  even "metatarsals"....(OK...either fingers or toes.....:rolleyes: )…….with the attendant pain.....You still need to use the correct terminology...…..otherwise some iron corseted  virgin  will lay a complaint   with  "The Race Relations Councillor" or some equally august  body …..and  you will be in trouble...…...This is, of course, for the general advancement of our civilised world,    ""personkind "".....equal rights you know.......other wise we could have rioting in the streets...….:o....sigh

And it gets worse, Jeff......All the folk working on the Molesworth    Station   have to wear "helmets " whilst on horseback...no more "cowboy "  hats as the Stetson is erroneously called , down under.....and those young men are not happy...…  Its all about "Health and Safety" you know...….The fine old gentleman  , Mr Bill Chisholm,   would be aghast at this directive from some soft shoed wearing suit ….who wouldn't know if his rectal orifice was on fire...…..

Mike

How do you really feel Mike?

Really, I feel the same way. PC to the max everywhere. People pushing their PC views and animal rights.

Back when I had a dog I used to let him ride in the bed, nope, got stopped by a cop who didn't write me a ticket but said the dog had to be cross tied or the bed needed 48' sides. So, knowing the dog loved riding in back and not wanting him in the cab, I made some cross ties with snaps. Mind you the dog had figured out that jumping out was a bad idea when he was a pup when he  jumped off a hay wagon. Anyway, I stopped on the side of the road to untangle the dog from the cross ties and a woman came up to me and lectured me about the dog in the back even though I was complying with the law. I told her although I loved the dog I didn't want an unrestrained 75lb in the cab in case of an accident. She told me he should be wearing a seat belt!

I'm really sick of snowflakes pressing their views. When my kids were real little the first soccer teams they were on didn't keep score as they didn't want to damage the kids self esteem. Really? The kids knew what the score was and who won. PC BS! 

Rant over, morning coffee kicking in.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mike newman said:

otherwise some iron corseted  virgin  will lay a complaint   with  "The Race Relations Councillor" or some equally august  body

 

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Guess which camp I'm in😄

I’m in your camp as well, no proper jeep owner/enthusiast wouldn’t be. But I do respect them. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad taught me to run a log chain thru the center casting spokes and around a cab mount, then spin tire by hand to slide in on axle. I use the handyman to pull wheel back out. Run chain thru spokes, set handyman foot against axle with handle up. Hook chain on jack saddle, advance jack one click which usually tips jack down. Then use jack as a lever and pull up to slide wheel out. Repeat until wheel is where you want it. Lubrication on the jack mechanism and the axle makes huge difference! Those Jack's not for everything but very handy for many things!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suicide jack. I wouldn't be without one. 👍👍

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learned real fast not to take a 2001 loader off using one. Also quality makes a huge difference between a poor boat anchor and a jack.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a love hate relationship but wouldn’t be without it 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2. They go up real nice but coming down isnt so graceful. I've learned to either throw the handle down and watch it pop back up letting whatever down and get out of the way. I'm sure mine are wore out junk. I also dont grab one without spraying it down with penetrating oil. I always said they should have a oil can holder on them somewhere. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dad talks about changing tire widths on our 460 back in the day when they mounted and dismounted the corn picker on it. They used a handyman jack to move the wheels in or out 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike newman said:

.however, sadly sandhiller, I have to take you to task re the description...…"Handy Man Jack"'..

...Now, down under, in our progressive civilised Socialist   state.....we would call that "tool ' a  "Handy Person Jack "...gender neutral you see...thus no one gets offended

Now Mike, you know I wake up every morning wondering how I can "spread" some political correctness. 🙄

And, have you ever heard of a handy woman??? Thus being only one handy gender, Thus Handy Man Jack.          Ouch, just took a hit to the back of my head from my "handy" missus.  🤕

All in fun, some women are handy too................................😄

Handy as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest I mumbles under my breath while darling bride isn't looking. 🤨

Gotta go put some bulls out, see ya 😃

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dog dose not seem to care 👀🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love mine,  Put a rebuild kit in it last year,  cleaned up the pins and it works better than ever. If everything is lubed and clean they work much better

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like them. I have two legit Hi-lifts made down the road in Bloomfield Indiana and one off brand. I'd like to get at least one more hi lift. I never seem to have enough of them. I use them frequently. Though if it's off center or under a really heavy load I make sure that I'm as far out of striking distance as I can be, just in case there is a "dynamic" incident.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I have 2. They go up real nice but coming down isnt so graceful. I've learned to either throw the handle down and watch it pop back up letting whatever down and get out of the way. I'm sure mine are wore out junk. I also dont grab one without spraying it down with penetrating oil. I always said they should have a oil can holder on them somewhere. 

I watched a young guy do that in a youtube video recently and advised him it was abusive to the moving parts on the jack and would probably break something. Just always keep a firm hand and pressure on the handle of the "jackall" as they are known here. I've never had one hurt me in fifty years. Although I did run over one with a tractor a while back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one, a "Jack-All" brand, that is bolted to the truck bed next to the toolbox. It's saved my bacon several times, most recently when the clutch spring broke on my #52 plow and it wouldn't raise out of the ground. Jacked it up and replaced the spring with a Cub governor spring in the field. Had everything I needed in the truck, which the Mrs. thoughtfully drove down to the field I was in. I also have two other "Hi-Lift" brand that reside in the shop. I've used them quite a bit, also. Not too long ago I bent the swinging drawbar on my 300 up (not sure how I did it, either). I simply put the jack foot on the drawbar, raised the cradle up to the third arm linkage on the aftermarket three point, and started pushing. Bent it slightly lower than level, and when I removed the jack it was just as straight as when I started. Heck, I've winched out pickups with them, lifted up sinking buildings, and even stretched barbed wire with mine. But in all the years of using one, I can't ever recall jacking up a truck with one... 🤷‍♂️

Mac 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I used mine for a project a while ago...needed some heavy bar stock....

If this was a conversation about Strainrite chain grab fence stretchers... It would be a different story.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought an F250 yrs ago parked bumper to bumper in a bldg  on stone floor.

Floor jacks would not work to roll out.

Jacked it with a handy man then pushed sideways till it tipped over, jack and repeat, jack and repeat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...