vtfireman85

Auto oil recommendations.

UAfter the Subaru started burning oil at 20k I asked my mechanic I use on occasion what he thought, he said dump 10-30 in it and check it every 1000, I said but it’s supposed to have 0-w20.. he said so what you want but that is what I do. I did, it starts ok, it doesn’t have oil pressure issues and it only burns a a quart every 1500 or so. 

Mothers new Cherokee wants 0-w20 and the only one that meats the requirements is Pennzoil premium pure plus full synthetic. The last one with the same engine was a 2011 wanted 5w-30 conventional. I’m a big fan of following oil recommendations but really, what’s the difference??? Why? I mean how many types of oil are necessary does every single vehicle need something exotic? Really I’ve gone to synthetic in everything except the diesels, it’s good stuff, just to keep things simpler. 

Ugh. Once the warranty runs out I’m switching to 5w-30 anyway, bet nothing bad happens 

So certain manufactures want the oil when cold to get to the overhead cams faster, hence the 0-20. Ford did this with some of the 4.6 we had. Our 2.2 in Chevys you can tell when oil is not getting to the cams fast enough in below o temps. Depends also if there is a turbo involved.

We run 0w-40 synthetic in our Euro cars.......tried 5W-30 synthetic in one of my 2.3T Saabs.......was fine until it was below zero, and boy was the timing chain complaining.   Went back to 0W-40, never heard any noise ever again.  For the length I get out of the synthetic I don't mind buying the more expensive oil.

Try switching to semi syn oil.

Got nuthin to lose but oil. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTO said:

Try switching to semi syn oil.

Got nuthin to lose but oil. 

Frankly if it put a rod through the block I would be ecstatic 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Well, DUH!

Then just drain it out and drive!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

UAfter the Subaru started burning oil at 20k I asked my mechanic I use on occasion what he thought, he said dump 10-30 in it and check it every 1000, I said but it’s supposed to have 0-w20.. he said so what you want but that is what I do. I did, it starts ok, it doesn’t have oil pressure issues and it only burns a a quart every 1500 or so. 

Mothers new Cherokee wants 0-w20 and the only one that meats the requirements is Pennzoil premium pure plus full synthetic. The last one with the same engine was a 2011 wanted 5w-30 conventional. I’m a big fan of following oil recommendations but really, what’s the difference??? Why? I mean how many types of oil are necessary does every single vehicle need something exotic? Really I’ve gone to synthetic in everything except the diesels, it’s good stuff, just to keep things simpler. 

Ugh. Once the warranty runs out I’m switching to 5w-30 anyway, bet nothing bad happens 

Chrysler products will generally set cam timing codes when the wrong weight oil is used. And the oil consumption on the Subaru is pretty typical 

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

Well, DUH!

Then just drain it out and drive!

I need to not be immediately responsible 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Shuckin reponsibility agin.....

20 minutes ago, MTO said:

Shuckin reponsibility agin.....

MRS VT has a disgusting honest streak. When she heard the story of my backhoe bargain she wanted to go offer the guy more money. 

• Confused 1

Dodge 5.9......... Castrol GTX  diesel. 15/40

Harley shovel..........Quaker state 50

Kawa 700.......... Pennzoil 10/30

Jeep ..............Pennzoil 5/30

Honda 2000...........Pennzoil 30.

Dats dat.

Whatever the dealer pours in when I get my $19.99 oil change. Changed it myself the first couple times, found out they have an air dam under the engine without an access hole - 17 screws to get the thing off..... engine holds 6.6 quarts and the filter is like $12 anywhere I've looked. The Kia dealer doesn't upcharge for the extra oil so... can't do it myself for the price.

• Like 1

Have a Ford car, Toyota pickup, and a mower with a Kohler engine that all take the same Wix filter, but each one takes a different weight oil.

• Like 2

My work car (buick lesabre) calls for like 10w30 I believe. And I give it some on occasion. I run cheap full synthetic oil and change it at 10k. It doesn't use any in between and by 10k it needs a quart. Stuff comes out looking like conventional with 200 miles. Go figure... somebody asked me what I use and I said Walmart's finest... sometimes I even put air in the tires. Never have washed it though. Looks about like a farmer had been driving it. I can get like 10 bags of feed in the trunk, but the air ride runs alot. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I can get like 10 bags of feed in the trunk, but the air ride runs alot. 🤦‍♂️

I used to throw 10 or 15 bags of mineral, in the back of a Delmont 88 Custom Cruiser (a Delmont was a Delta with budget trim).

It's fun to be a little redneck. 

Steve Thompson the mechanic at Progressive Farmer magazine once said he'd be hesitant to put fuel-saving, EPA-meeting oil such as 5W-20 in a truck used for hard work.

• Like 1

What ever is on sale , changed the oil in the f150 every quarter, got 300 k when the Frame disappears. Used synthetic, blended ,straight don’t matter. 
keep it changed ,keep it clean 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I can arrange for that to happen!

Sid, would you like to drive a Scooby-Doo in the manner that you wish that you could flog your beloved Mack???

Run the specified oil in the Jeeps.....you'll get phaser dtcs and performance issues if you don't, they're real exciting when they're messed up

VTFireman if Mom has a Cherokee with the multiair engine try 5w20 and let me know if it makes a difference

Quick edit here: Hemi has had the ability to figure out what weight oil is in it since 2005- tried 5w30 (calls for 5w20) kept getting a dtc

8 hours ago, 5088 said:

Run the specified oil in the Jeeps.....you'll get phaser dtcs and performance issues if you don't, they're real exciting when they're messed up

VTFireman if Mom has a Cherokee with the multiair engine try 5w20 and let me know if it makes a difference

Quick edit here: Hemi has had the ability to figure out what weight oil is in it since 2005- tried 5w30 (calls for 5w20) kept getting a dtc

The cruiser requires 5w-20, that’s a hemi

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, another oil thread?

• Haha 1

22 years old, 175k takes straight up 5w-30 doesn’t burn a drop. Comes out looking as clean as when it went in, and gets 18MPG... I don’t think we have come forward even with fancy oils. 

F7836554-961F-4BFF-B8B6-8EDD273DD243.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Steve Thompson the mechanic at Progressive Farmer magazine once said he'd be hesitant to put fuel-saving, EPA-meeting oil such as 5W-20 in a truck used for hard work.

Pretty much all the heavy duty trucks now specify 5w-20 oil change interval is 60k on Detroit’s 50k on Mack/volvo.

I asked Uncle Mark about his thoughts on just pumping JD corn head grease in.. his response was impolite. 

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

gets 18MPG

Must be a 4. Had a 4.0 6 and never made more than 16 when my daughter drove it, 12 if my son did. Never used oil.