5488 fan system issues

I bought this 5488 in 2012. Since then in 1400 hrs I have twice had problems with the flex plates that couple the fan shaft to the water pump cracking and breaking. Each time I was fortunate and managed to not take out the radiator. The last time I replaced the out board bearing as precautionary. Well disaster struck today 1/2 mile into a 32 mile road trip and I wasn't so lucky with the radiator. This time it actually broke one of the 3/8 bolts off that has the spacer on it. There was no visible damage to the flex plates this time. Anybody have an idea as to why I keep having trouble with this? I'm starting to get really frustrated with it, otherwise its been a good tractor for me.

MIsparky

I would suggest that you should inspect the front damper on the crankshaft.   There is a rubber isolator between the inner and outer hub.  There are two alignment marks,  one on the inner hub and another on the outer hub,  these marks are aligned when the damper is built.   If the rubber bond between the 2 hubs is slipping then the marks will get out of alignment.   The front damper is designed to remove torsional vibration from the crankshaft,  if the damper is slipping it can cause the crankshaft to break,  and may be why you are having failure of the fan drive.

GT&T

• Like 1

Make sure you are using grade 8 bolts, that’s what the parts catalog calls for on that fan drive.  Also like mentioned above, be sure to check that torsional dampener, and see if the fan bracket is an updated one.  The old style is held to the air box with 2 bolts, while the new style is held on with 4 bolts and is in the shape of an X.

Those front fan bearings have a 1,500 hour life expectancy 

• Like 1

After having several customers 50 series have short bearing life or drive disc failures, I made a tool out of a spacer with a nut welded onto the end that fit snugly on the water pump bearing shaft to check alignment.  I then used a long threaded rod that extended out to the bearing support to check alignment. After aligning the support, bearing life and drive disc life were vastly improved. Also the whole air box/ radiator support sits on rubber isomounts. I’ve seen some of those cause problems. 

FAB95422-8457-45A4-B621-1AC3EFE85B4E.jpeg

11 hours ago, 88power said:

I don't mean to high jack the thread but has anyone ever tried a electric fan on one of these?

It would have to be a monster fan, you ever stand in front of the tractor at full throttle?

5 hours ago, superih said:

It would have to be a monster fan, you ever stand in front of the tractor at full throttle?

Yeah I've been sitting at the pumps waiting to fuel up and crack the throttle blew a guys hat in front of me. I figured with the new electric fans these days there might be something out there

thank you for all the responses guys,  I had the original  fan brace and when I asked the dealer about it  he said the updated x one was no longer available.   His cnh inventory check found one in Nebraska so that's on its way. Im confused as to why the balancer would have any effect on this because the fan drive is bolted to the water  pump pulley not the crankshaft.   The motor is a new reman complete unit at around 5500 hrs as reported by the previous owner.   It now has 7600 hrs. Im replacing the brace,  updated bearing, all new hardware, new flex discs, and water pump. Fyi the bolt that broke was a grade 8 that I put in new 2 years ago when I went through this. 

MI sparky

1 hour ago, MIsparky said:

Im confused as to why the balancer would have any effect on this because the fan drive is bolted to the water  pump pulley not the crankshaft. 

The Torsion Damper on these 400 series engines,  is designed  to remove the torsional vibration from the crankshaft.   Torsional vibration is a rotary or oscillating vibration, that cannot be felt in most cases.   However this oscillating vibration creates so much rotary  vibration that it will break crankshafts and can cause excessive wear to clutch disc and transmission splines.   It will also cause gear rattle in the transmission.   This torsional vibration can also be transmitted to the fan by way of the fan and water pump belts.    If the damper rubber is loose,  the damper will slip and will not remove the torsional vibration.

I hope this may help you and others to understand this principle.    The things that I can't see or feel are hard for me to understand.  

GT&T

I have seen crankshafts broken from this. Mostly jd. Oddly enough some of the engines would start and run! Thx-Ace

I just put a new bearing on my fan shaft yesterday. Got it from bearing supply in town. 6005 number for bearing. Put it back together and it worked yesterday. Looked like it would be $95 from dealer got it for 20. See how long it lasts. Maybe save somebody some money.

• Like 1

My bracket has one bolt each side not the new x style so I must have the older style. The old bearing was a single row. Maybe you could put 2 single rows instead of the factory one. Why couldn't you buy a cast bearing flange and adapt it to work? 

Well thanks to the advise on here I likely found the root of my problems the balancer was toast! The paint dots are my marks... 180 degrees out

20200617_172949.jpg

20200617_175547.jpg

Good to see you found a possible root cause!!

Is the radiator repairable?

57 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

Good to see you found a possible root cause!!

Is the radiator repairable?

Yes its being  re-cored right now.. should have it tomorrow 

1 hour ago, bobbyhuron said:

Now I wanna check my balancer. After market good or just get oem? Sometimes I wonder if they are one and the same.

Oem

2 hours ago, bobbyhuron said:

Now I wanna check my balancer. After market good or just get oem? Sometimes I wonder if they are one and the same.

I'll never buy a aftermarket again we have had problems out of more than one in the past