jw10007

706 range transmission

Hi all,  I have a 706 Farmall Diesel that wouldn't stay in Hi, low, or reverse. About 25 years ago it did the same thing and I found the spring held dog under the cover of the range section broken.  It was a simple fix, I pulled the top put in a new part assembled and went on my happy way for about 24 years. This spring I took it apart again, and same arm broken on the end. We bought the part new and reassembled and cannot move the shifter lever.  We've had it apart several more times, and still cannot move the lever when assembled.  Would any of you have any suggestions on what I have done wrong? Thanks   John

JW 

Have you tried to shift the range transmission, while the linkage is unhooked from the shifter control?   This will tell you if it is the shifter in the range transmission or if it is the linkage in the console that is locked.

GT&T

There is a roll pin in the shift linkage under the steering tower, at its base.  There is an arm that the range lever on the dash moves.  It is welded to a hollow tube.  Inside the tube is the rod that shifts the speed trans.  There is a roll pin just under the arm that attaches the speed lever shaft to the lower shaft.   If that roll pin backs out, it can lock the range levers.  If you don't find anything, remove the hood cover just ahead of the steering wheel, and as mentioned above, make sure the linkage for the shift levers all is intact and working. 

GT&T thanks for your reply.  Range section wont move when hooked to linkage or when unhooked. With top off the insides move like I would expect them to.

J-Mech thanks for replying. linkage all moves freely when unhooked. Speed section shifts ok . Cannot move the range shifter when  hooked up, or when not hooked up after bolting the cover down.

About 24 years ago I replaced the same inside part and updated the park lock. Guess I was smarter then as it went together and worked great.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong now. 

Cant remember which way it needs to be but range shift deck needs to be in a certain position to assemble onto transmission.  Say it's high position, put fork in that position also, then install.

I'm thinking the cam will land on top of reverse arm and bind when trying to bolt it down? Maybe I'm wrong. But thinking  that's the deal. Also have to make sure reverse arm and shifter mechanism line up when installing deck.

Hope this helps  but maybe this isn't your issue? Jus a thought.....

JW

Now that we know that the problem is in the Range transmission,  Ole 815 is right.   There is a locator tool for positioning the top cover over the shift linkage.   If you do not have this tool,  look carefully where the spring loaded detent roller needs to be located when the cover is lowered into place.   Then when lowering the cover push the arm, spring  and roller over with a thin piece of metal or screwdriver with a notch in the end.   

I hope this helps.

GT&T