560Dennis

Great day for putting up hay

Walked down the street with my grandson and watched them putting up hay. Don’t know about you but sunny , Breezy and 65 degrees and 50 percent humidity . Sound perfect to me . Like working outside in air conditioning. 
Never ever remembered having it that good , 

• Like 1

Ours is cut and rolled over once , the wind is blowing , no rain in the forecast , bailing it tomorrow .

I cut grass hay yesterday. Beautiful today, 70, low humidity, and breezy. Probably be hotter tomorrow when we bake.

here to humid for dry to windy for wrapped

cut at 10, bale at 12;30 by 2 it is all literally blowing away + late frost and cold wet made it about 2/3 less

got 250 + - in last 10 days should have been 400 and 2x weight

• Sad 1

Made some today at home and cut some at moms yesterday. Late check on moms looks like i will try to rake and bale tomorrow.

A lot of the guys' here are saying the hay is so short this year due to lack of moisture that some fields can't be cut ! Some I saw yesterday were only 6" tall.

8 minutes ago, augercreek said:

A lot of the guys' here are saying the hay is so short this year due to lack of moisture that some fields can't be cut ! Some I saw yesterday were only 6" tall.

I was picking on the farmer that cut my fields, I asked if he was done mowing lawns? 😂

He said he heard that a lot this year, but the quality was dropping fast so they decided to cut it.

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Made some today at home and cut some at moms yesterday. Late check on moms looks like i will try to rake and bale tomorrow.

Laid all mine down at once this year. If everything holds together will be done today. Just started cutting Friday after work. Baled 150 yesterday. Today's gonna be a long one should make about 200 more. 

20200614_163315.jpg

Got it all round now gotta get it hauled in. 

20200617_170544.jpg

20200617_170515.jpg

• Like 3

1466fan

Those are some beautiful pictures,  and looks like it has really yielded a quality crop.     Not many people can realize how much work and expense is represented in those pictures.😃

GT&T

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GT&T said:

1466fan

Those are some beautiful pictures,  and looks like it has really yielded a quality crop.     Not many people can realize how much work and expense is represented in those pictures.😃

GT&T

Thanks. Yeah it turned out pretty good. Didn't think it was going to. Stayed cool late in the spring so kinda came on late. No most people don't realize the investment required. Maybe not on the same level as the police right now. But farmers are under appreciated in my opinion too. Everybody thinks their food comes from the store. 

How does a moisture meter works ? 

10 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

I've never used one. 

...we are doing just two a day...….feeding out …….;)....down on cattle numbers at the moment...…………..bit of fresh snow about today...…...tucker is a bit scarce, this after a long summer drought...but we should make it ok......Feeding  red deer   at each  mob of cattle....they enjoy the brassica......at night , of course …….nine in total, one will be in our freezer....soon....:)

...1466 fan...nice pictures......and looks like a good product......

Mike

IMG_0439.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mike newman said:

...we are doing just two a day...….feeding out …….;)....down on cattle numbers at the moment...…………..bit of fresh snow about today...…...tucker is a bit scarce, this after a long summer drought...but we should make it ok......Feeding  red deer   at each  mob of cattle....they enjoy the brassica......at night , of course …….nine in total, one will be in our freezer....soon....:)

...1466 fan...nice pictures......and looks like a good product......

Mike

IMG_0439.JPG

Pretty country you got there too. Coming off 2 years of scraping by on hay to get through the winter. So I'm pretty happy with it this year. Won't have to be counting bales early on. Also got a couple of miles of new fence in so can pasture some hay ground this summer and early fall. 

here rain is now down roughly 2.8 " for the month but still up 1" for year

otherwise yield is down 1/3 to 1/2 with cold wet and late frost.

dry and pastures burning out so expect august vs dec feeding AGAIN

cutting everything ,so far we have 500+ bagged 100 + dry and 700 idiot,( field size avg is 6ac with 11a being large)

late poor first cutting is market $2 picked from field -$8 bl.

most if they have any $ want to pay <$3   we have a $5 minimum  as store pays that year round ( they get $8)just never when it is still on wagons.    picked up a load today and had a complaint ,out of 15 loads had a customer want a refund for 9 of 12b from 1 sale.....they were bard from store.

at the same time "our garbage" has been to uppity horsies and they ALL rave, so long,only 100 fit trailer,so heavy,need help,  so nice

On 6/18/2020 at 11:01 AM, 560Dennis said:

There is the hand held style which has probe that you stick in to the bale and it will read moisture level and temperature. Then there is the style that is mounted in the baler. It gives a constant readout of the moisture level. We have both and wouldn't be without either

• Like 1