MTO

For the elderly here

24 minutes ago, pete23 said:

Hose, that was a modern invention.  I watched the attendant pump the handle to fill dad's car.  

Boy that's a memory, fill the glass to how much you wanted and pour that in, another thing was winter the old man would drain the rad so nothing froze and pouring in water the next time they used the car, this was when he used street cars and busses to get anywhere didn't just jump in the sled and go.

Another thing was before I was born, on fridays my mother would walk into New Westminster over the patullo bridge do her shopping at the farmers market when all the fresh stuff came in, reason being was to save money, then take the trolley home with her bags, this was around '46 and '47.

Because Mr, joy came in '48.😇

6 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Because Mr, joy came in '48.😇

That explains a bit.😲       😁

1779885447_blizzard49.jpg.ad86801cabfd4c749f0d78a71e1c6ed0.jpg

Beef State: The Blizzard of '48 - 49. The Blizzard of 1948-49 staggers the imagination. Actually not a single storm, but a series of storms, it began in November 1948 and continued uninterrupted into February 1949. The snow stopped trains, buried houses, and threatened millions of head of cattle in four states.

Just yankin' yer chain Jake😄

It was a blizzard of epic proportions though I'm sure you didn't have that much to do with it🙄         😃

How about cardboard oil containers and the push in oil spout .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

That explains a bit.😲       😁

1779885447_blizzard49.jpg.ad86801cabfd4c749f0d78a71e1c6ed0.jpg

Beef State: The Blizzard of '48 - 49. The Blizzard of 1948-49 staggers the imagination. Actually not a single storm, but a series of storms, it began in November 1948 and continued uninterrupted into February 1949. The snow stopped trains, buried houses, and threatened millions of head of cattle in four states.

Just yankin' yer chain Jake😄

It was a blizzard of epic proportions though I'm sure you didn't have that much to do with it🙄         😃

Ya know whats funny, about 5 years later a blame game started and went on for a long time.

22 hours ago, MTO said:

Remember stomping on the hose?

Cmon man I’m 34 and remember doing this... it not like the early 90’s were 30 yrs ago... wait...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 696IH said:

Cmon man I’m 34 and remember doing this... it not like the early 90’s were 30 yrs ago... wait...

Ya know what’s funny, when I was a kid my old man told me about Dillinger, baby face, Bonnie and Clyde, et al, in ‘54 they were dead 20 years, now watching the video cat put up about his neighbor, Dennis is talking timelines 35 years ago (1985) and really old 66 years ago (1954) you at 34 and me at 73 our timelines are so different but the same, just like my gangster stories my old man lived it, as for the 70s and 80s I lived it and in 30 years your gonna say the same thing, cool isn’t it.

Remember when you could get a book of matches? Havent seen a book of matches in years with a name on it. I don't even smoke but light a fire on occasion 

4 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Remember when you could get a book of matches? Havent seen a book of matches in years with a name on it. I don't even smoke but light a fire on occasion 

The businesses of the day all had their names on matchbooks, I guess with smoking being verboten it doesn’t fly anymore. 

I use a self ignition mini torch for campfires, as long as I don’t try matching the YouTube guys with gas it works great, haven’t ended upside down yet.

We had matches at are wedding  8 years ago. I just wanted the nostalgia lol

There are two excellent videos on YouTube about the 1948-49 blizzard.

One is the product of Wyoming Public Broadcasting, and the other was put out by Allis-Chalmers

Two more things that aren't done anymore, one being the grocery store putting your purchase in open topped cardboard boxes, and locker plants, where they rented out little compartments in the freezer section.  Also grocery stores wrapping your meat purchase in butcher paper.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

There are two excellent videos on YouTube about the 1948-49 blizzard.

One is the product of Wyoming Public Broadcasting, and the other was put out by Allis-Chalmers

Two more things that aren't done anymore, one being the grocery store putting your purchase in open topped cardboard boxes, and locker plants, where they rented out little compartments in the freezer section.  Also grocery stores wrapping your meat purchase in butcher paper.

Are there meat lockers around anymore, folks used to buy a side and have it quick frozen and then we would pickup every week what mother wanted and store in the freezer on top of the fridge.

there is one store we go to that wraps in brown paper for their specialty meats, other than that styrofoam and plastic wrap, our Safeway store finally changed to bio paper containers for Chinese and other  takeout.

RC and Moon Pie for a dime  But you had to have the dime first!